Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Legal question, please

My wife works a few hours a week teaching aerobics at the YWCA here in Tulsa. We were told by the lady in charge of the day care center that people who work there can receive 50% off child care, regardless of how many hours they worked. She had this confirmed by the director of the YWCA.

So we put our children's names on a waiting list, which we had to pay $25 dollars to put them on the waiting list.

My wife found out today from another aerobics teacher today that the YWCA has just changed their policy to read that only people who work 30 or more hours a week are eligible for the discount. So as of right now, we will receive no discount if we want our children to go to this day care center (which is one of the better ones in Tulsa). They are not going to honor the original agreement between us.

My question is this: when is a contract a contract? Is a verbal agreement between two parties a contract, especially when we paid money already and they accepted it?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Legal question, please

I'd just burn the place down but that's just me. Maybe you and DD could put it out if I started it?
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

A verbal agreement can be a contract, but typically, it must be in writing
    to be enforceable in the courts. Otherwise, it becomes a "he said, she said"
    kind of thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MiccoMacey
    Is a verbal agreement between two parties a contract, especially when we paid money already and they accepted it?
    There's usually a price ceiling on when a verbal contract is binding; I have no idea what that limit is in Oklahoma. I wouldn't think just putting your name on a waiting list is binding for either party. The non-assy thing for them to do would be to apologize for the confusion and give your $25 back.

But I'm not a lawyer so why I am even attempting to answer this?
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

They are not disputing that there was an agreement. Their position is they are just changing their policy and since we haven't started daycare, they can just null our agreement.

BTW, "they" never contacted us to let us know about this change. We found out through another employee. Otherwise, we'd be rolling up to the YWCA in August expecting things to be as they were agreed to.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

You don't have a prayer. Even if you could find it written down some place, there is likely a clause in it that allows them to change said policy. Basically they are restricting it to anyone that can qualify as a full-time employee.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    I'd just burn the place down but that's just me. Maybe you and DD could put it out if I started it?
    Since he passed his relief driver test, he can pump the truck while I "put the fire out"...although I may stand around inside the fire for awhile waiting for it to get reaaaaalllly big.

vCash

Their position is they are just changing their policy and since we haven't started daycare, they can just null our agreement.
    I think they're probably correct. Will they refund you the $25? And why does the YWCA of all places charge a waiting list fee in the first place?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

The answer to your question is "it depends."

You could litigate it but it could take years and cost thousands of lives and you could still lose. How much are you willing to spend to get your 25.00 back? Besides that, would you really want these people taking care of junior if you basically had to shoe-whip them to take him? Of course not.

Chalk it up to another lesson at the "University of Hard Knocks" and move on.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    The answer to your question is "it depends."
    Spoken like a true lawyer-to-be.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Put her arse to work for 30hrs teaching at the YMCA then.

vCash

FWIW That Grace "Kids" place down here near me looks nice and I hear a lot of good things about it.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

It's not about the 25 bucks. They have stated that if we want to take our children off the waiting list, they will refund us our money.

It just bugs me when people back out of agreements. Especially when they aren't willing to tell us up front they are backing out.

vCash

It just bugs me when people back out of agreements. Especially when they aren't willing to tell us up front they are backing out.
    A waiting list isn't anything more than an agreement to call you if there's an opening, is it?

vCash

It's not about the 25 bucks. They have stated that if we want to take our children off the waiting list, they will refund us our money.

Unfortunately, as you know, that's what happens sometimes. Seriously, its probably just not worth pursuing IMHO.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

mdklatt, what I see the problem to be is common courtsey or in this case, a lack therof.
    one day

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt
    A waiting list isn't anything more than an agreement to call you if there's an opening, is it?
    Yes. An agreement to call you if there's an opening to put you in the program at the agreed upon price. At least that's how I see it.

We'll more than likely let it drop. This thread is probably more like therapy for me by letting me vent.

Unless one of you tries to charge me for psychological treatment, in which case I never said what I said.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    mdklatt, what I see the problem to be is common courtsey or in this case, a lack therof.
    Unfortunately, being a dick isn't illegal. I still don't think the YWCA did anything wrong, especically since they refunded the $25. Micco says he had to hear about the policy change second-hand, but August is still a long time away. And we're talking about a waiting list, right? Until there was an opening this was all a moot point.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    Unfortunately, as you know, that's what happens sometimes. Seriously, its probably just not worth pursuing IMHO.
    Aren't we still waiting for the professor's answer to the Connie croaking in the desert conundrum?

In Pacem Requiescat --- October 5, 2003 - October 18, 2010.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

This is a change in benefits. Since your wife isn't in a union, the company can unilaterally change the benefit structure at any time with adequate notice.

Regardless, the most you'd be able to sue for in this case would be the liquidated value of the contract-which is $25. You've been made whole.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)