Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

Conservative Stuff Duabi/UAE gives up ports to US firm

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- United Arab Emirates-owned DP World said Thursday it would transfer its operations of American ports to a U.S. "entity" after congressional leaders reportedly told President Bush that the firm's takeover deal was essentially dead on Capitol Hill.

"Because of the strong relationship between the United Arab Emirates and the United States and to preserve that relationship ... DP World will transfer fully the U.S. operations of P&O Operations North America to a United States entity," Edward H. Bilkey, DP World's chief operating officer, said in a statement.

----------------

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Octavian's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Duabi/UAE gives up ports to US firm

haha

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

WHY DOES HALLIBURTON GET TO RUN THE PORTSSSSS!!!!

THIS IS TOTAL BS!~~!!!!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IronSooner's Avatar
    vCash

You gotta be impressed with how calm and understanding UAE has come across in the whole deal. I wonder if they're really like that or as p*ssed off as it seems like they should be over it all.

party pooper
    vCash

oh well.
    congress/FUD: 1
    Free Trade: 0
    I really thought the Prez was right on this one.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack

yeah, like that wasn't the initial plan

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Octavian's Avatar
    vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Hatfield's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IronSooner
    You gotta be impressed with how calm and understanding UAE has come across in the whole deal. I wonder if they're really like that or as p*ssed off as it seems like they should be over it all.
    they will still be making the money...they could care less about our fake outrage
    In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I am VERY INTERESTED in who/what this "U.S. entity" is that is going to buy/compensate/takeover the operations of the U.S. ports that were involved in this.

Also, on another site, I read that of the approx. $7 billion of the initial transaction, the U.S. ports were valued at about 10 per cent of the total and that the Dubai company was not going suffer a loss from the divestiture of those U.S. ports. That means that the U.S. buyer has to come up with $700 million to satisfy Dubai.

It's gonna be interesting to see who the players are and how the deal ends up being structured.

party pooper
    vCash

ya know, there's an interesting question within this whole episode...I wonder if Bush's continued rhetoric about security and the war on terror has caused (or exacerbated) an illogical, knee-jerk reaction towards anything middle eastern, that in essence doomed this whole shebang from the git-go? Or did we (not nessecarily you and me, but the general populous at large, and the congress-men and women that represent them) come about our xenophobia 100% naturally?

in other words, it's entirely possible that the Bush administration inadvertently brought the failure of this deal on themselves by continually stressing security and the war on terror above all things.

anyway, just an interesting point to think about.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Boeing will probably lose their large contract with UAE now to build something like 50 large commercial jets. But one party believes the "ends justifies the means" so they'll take whatever leverage they can gain from this in the polls. The other party apparantly has no nuts and have been integrated into The Beast since they gained power in 1994 after they promised to make The Beast smaller, spend less, tax less, etc.

**** them all, and the dumb sheeple who buy into the propaganda.

So much for one of our great Arab allies in the war on terror. They'll probably ask our Air Force base to pack up and leave their country, as well as not allowing our naval ships to dock in their ports. But we can't have those pesky arabs running our ports!!!

This whole shenanigen was never about "our protection." It was about the 2006 election.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    ya know, there's an interesting question within this whole episode...I wonder if Bush's continued rhetoric about security and the war on terror has caused (or exacerbated) an illogical, knee-jerk reaction towards anything middle eastern, that in essence doomed this whole shebang from the git-go? Or did we (not nessecarily you and me, but the general populous at large, and the congress-men and women that represent them) come about our xenophobia 100% naturally?

in other words, it's entirely possible that the Bush administration inadvertently brought the failure of this deal on themselves by continually stressing security and the war on terror above all things.

anyway, just an interesting point to think about.

You may be right on the Republican side. The Dems though must have an ulterior motive to be so concerned about security for once. Unless of course they suddenly are advocating racial profiling...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

as I heard on the radio nearly half of our country actually thought the UAE was going to be running security. heh, wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    as I heard on the radio nearly half of our country actually thought the UAE was going to be running security.
    I wonder if the UAE could actually do a better job....
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack

ZINGO! now Dick Cheney can get the big commission he always gets from Halliburton, and the prez now has another totally hostile country that he will have to invade... but, wait. I think WALMART is on the list of bidders for the terminals contract. They could beat out Halliburton, and then all the pseudo security-conscious leftists will be happy.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag
    You may be right on the Republican side. The Dems though must have an ulterior motive to be so concerned about security for once. Unless of course they suddenly are advocating racial profiling...
    I think the dems are doing it for 2 reasons:
    a) just to oppose Bush...that does seem to be their mission in everything not involving the distribution of pork
    b) so they can campaign (just like the republicans) on a "we saved yer jerbs, and kept the A-rabs out of our ports!!! Vote fer meeee!" platform.

quite frankly, its disgusting that none of the members of congress wanted to actually look at the deal and attempt to educate the public. I understand why they did, but I still don't like it. They did it because if they try to actually do the right thing, they run the risk of failing by being labeled weak on a-rabs.
    politics is all about scapegoating, and appearing to 'stand up against' the scapegoat. Its pretty shameful.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by william favor
    ZINGO! now Dick Cheney can get the big commission he always gets from Halliburton, and the prez now has another totally hostile country that he will have to invade... but, wait. I think WALMART is on the list of bidders for the terminals contract. They could beat out Halliburton, and then all the pseudo security-conscious leftists will be happy.
    psssst...it won't be just the pseudo-cops on the left that will be happy...I'm guessing that there will be an equal number of people on the right that will be happy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    I think the dems are doing it for 2 reasons:
    a) just to oppose Bush...that does seem to be their mission in everything not involving the distribution of pork
    b) so they can campaign (just like the republicans) on a "we saved yer jerbs, and kept the A-rabs out of our ports!!! Vote fer meeee!" platform.

That's exactly what I think. ****ing politicians.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

When the ultimate buyer is identifed, follow the ownership of that company all the way up. Would not surprise me in the least to find UAE owns/controls a substantial portion of the stock.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.