Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: What does everyone think of Lawton?

Must be Junction City......real sh1thole.......With all the increased military spending there...maybe they will clean it up....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag
    Yep, every town with a military base is an armpit. That's one rule of life that you can always count on.
    Tucson, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Tampa, DC, Las Vegas, Denver, Co Springs, San Diego, San Fran, Ft Worth, Norfolk, Abq,
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Formerly OregonSooner PDXsooner's Avatar
    vCash

fan - i'd live in norman, tulsa, even okc. actually, the wichita "mountain" wildlife refuge is a great place. just not lawton. lawton is the devil's taint.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

i'd live in Enid before I lived in Ponca.
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by afs
    Tucson, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Tampa, DC, Las Vegas, Denver, Co Springs, San Diego, San Fran, Ft Worth, Norfolk, Abq,
    Alamogarbage, Hell Paso, etc.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma
    Tough crowd.

A question for all of you elitists living out of state: is there anywhere in Oklahoma you would consider living?
    ooh, ooh, I'm an out of state elitist.
    I am about to buy some acreage east of Norman.

I have never had a good opinion of Lawton, cept for a camp gf of mine, she had the best legs I'd seen to that point! She even won the award at camp for best legs! And yes, it was a church camp. And yes, she was from Ike. And no, I didn't hit it.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

7. 3/10/2006, 09:46 AM

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jaux
    Oh, Fan, I would be proud to live anywhere in Oklahoma as long as the neighbors don't play the music too loud and there are no snotty nosed kids running wild.
    You just described every f'ing hillbilly neighborhood in the state!
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jaux
    I'd like to qualify my earlier post that implied all military towns are crapholes.

They are. But it's not because of the installation or people. It's because soldiers, jarheads, swabbies and ( airmen) get crap pay, work crap hours and are young and stupid - like all young people are. Plus, they are usually away doing grunt work so the rest of us can complain about crap.

Oh, Fan, I would be proud to live anywhere in Oklahoma as long as the neighbors don't play the music too loud and there are no snotty nosed kids running wild.

Usually it's not the entire cities, just the areas immediately surrounding them. The areas are usually older and filled with people and businesses who prey upon and take advantage of very young and naive enlisted personnel.

Administrator
    vCash

Lawton. Hmmm. I was stationed at Ft. Sill for a while. I vaguely remember a place called the Korean Lounge or something like that right off post.

I go down by Lawton (Wichita Mts.) a couple times a year. It's pretty nice. I've gone into Lawton maybe 4 times since 1974 when I was stationed there.

My opinion? It's OK. Probably a little higher than average gang activity for a town it's size (Army brats for the most part), but it's pretty cheap to live there and there's nice areas of town.

If I had my choice to live in L.A., NYC, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Washington, DC, Atlanta, or Lawton I'd take Lawton. In a heartbeat.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jeremy885's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Lawton. Hmmm. I was stationed at Ft. Sill for a while. I vaguely remember a place called the Korean Lounge or something like that right off post.

I go down by Lawton (Wichita Mts.) a couple times a year. It's pretty nice. I've gone into Lawton maybe 4 times since 1974 when I was stationed there.

My opinion? It's OK. Probably a little higher than average gang activity for a town it's size (Army brats for the most part), but it's pretty cheap to live there and there's nice areas of town.

If I had my choice to live in L.A., NYC, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Washington, DC, Atlanta, or Lawton I'd take Lawton. In a heartbeat.

From the last I heard, Lawton was closing down places like the Korean Lounge. Most of the strip clubs have been closed down or moved outside of the city limits. I think the Gold(en)sp? Dragon is still open though.

i consider myself an expert on military towns.....what makes a bad one good, is its proximity to another larger town

for instance - killeen (fort hood) - hour+ drive to austin, for a single soldier, thats gold

lawton - 90 minutes to OKC....eh

etc etc etc

and the road in Lawton with the hookers, strip clubs, pawn shops, etc.....FT SILL BLVD

Sheridan Road has its share as well