Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

planning a garden...

Our yard is butt ugly.

GHP already ordeed pepper and tomato plants that we'll get in the spring. I've been doing my own research to decide what else to put in the yard. I'm going to turn the whole back corner into a nice garden. tomatoes, peppers, and lots of herbs (and probably raspberries). And the rest is going to be a flower garden. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to plant, but basically it'll be as much as I have money for There will definitely be rose bushes though. I just haven't decided which ones i like best. there are so many...

I'm also probably going to add a redbud tree and possibly a flowering cherry tree.

Anyone else planning spring gardening projects?
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

Re: planning a garden...

yes but i'm undecided as to what i want to do

i cut down 3 very large photinnia bushes at the opposite end of the pool.....now i just need to figure out what to put there that will grow to the top of the fence and provide a little cover

also going to be redoing the garden on the side of the pool, and the flower beds in front of the house

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BoogercountySooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    yes but i'm undecided as to what i want to do

i cut down 3 very large photinnia bushes at the opposite end of the pool.....now i just need to figure out what to put there that will grow to the top of the fence and provide a little cover

also going to be redoing the garden on the side of the pool, and the flower beds in front of the house
    Crepe Mirtles or rose of Sharon should fit the bill for you!
    Booger Kills Deer and eatsem!

i've thought about crepe myrtles, we have them on the side of the house and the front, but the little flowers dropping in the pool are a pain

ok, looked at the rose of sharon......i like that, need to see how doable that is for where i need it

vCash

Rose of Sharon can pop up anywhere onse yo get them established. You just got to keep them cut back to the ground.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Okieflyer's Avatar
    vCash

Don't do it. It's just a lot of work.

Think concrete.

vCash

I'm narrowing down which types of roses I want but i'm stuck with 7 I really like. I'd be spending more than I wanted to on roses.... but i'd probably go with fewer other types of flowers.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    o many...

I'm also probably going to add a redbud tree
    Is that legal now?

vCash

i've thought about crepe myrtles, we have them on the side of the house and the front, but the little flowers dropping in the pool are a pain

ok, looked at the rose of sharon......i like that, need to see how doable that is for where i need it
    rose of sharon are nice... they don't drop blossoms TOO much. they use them at the zoo a lot because they aren't harmful to any of the birds, and they have nice folliage as well as blooms. (hummingbirds like them too )

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDaugIn2000's Avatar
    vCash

I'm planting a container vegetable garden this year. I used to garden every summer with my grandpa, and I sure miss doing that. So I decided to do one myself. I rent so I can't really till up my yard, and the soil in my yard probably wouldn't grow anything but weeds, so I decided to use containers.
    Starting my seeds indoors this weekend. Can't WAIT to start getting produce in a few weeks!!!

Planting:
    Peppers (hot and mild)
    Cucumbers (they'll be growing on the fence)
    Yellow Squash
    Zucchini Squash
    Carrots
    Lettuce (a variety of leaf lettuce)
    Raddishes
    Strawberries
    Okra
    Eggplant
    Tomatoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri's Coach Stein
    "When I heard Shaq had been traded, I was hoping it had been for the Paris twins because they are ridiculous," Stein joked. "They're probably the two toughest post players to guard in the country."
    CLICK HERE ----->http://www.myartvideo.com

OR HERE------>http://www.myartvideo.com/forums

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInFla
    Is that legal now?
    is what legal?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDaugIn2000
    I'm planting a container vegetable garden this year. I used to garden every summer with my grandpa, and I sure miss doing that. So I decided to do one myself. I rent so I can't really till up my yard, and the soil in my yard probably wouldn't grow anything but weeds, so I decided to use containers.
    Starting my seeds indoors this weekend. Can't WAIT to start getting produce in a few weeks!!!

Planting:
    Peppers (hot and mild)
    Cucumbers (they'll be growing on the fence)
    Yellow Squash
    Zucchini Squash
    Carrots
    Lettuce (a variety of leaf lettuce)
    Raddishes
    Strawberries
    Okra
    Eggplant
    Tomatoes
    ooh, awesome! i wish i had time for a vegetable garden.... plus our yard is bermuda, so i'll have to work really hard to keep it from taking over my whole garden, no matter what I plant.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tailwind's Avatar
    vCash

Nice selection of roses, PG. When I lived in Cali I had a large backyard that had rose bushes along the entire fence, and in one corner, an airy fern that went very nicely with the rose arrangements. I had fresh flowers for the house all summer long. *sigh*
    " A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Olevet Posse Member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDaugIn2000's Avatar
    vCash

oh, I got my seeds from parkseeds.com

they have several varieties that are meant for containers or small gardens, yet yeild full sized fruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri's Coach Stein
    "When I heard Shaq had been traded, I was hoping it had been for the Paris twins because they are ridiculous," Stein joked. "They're probably the two toughest post players to guard in the country."
    CLICK HERE ----->http://www.myartvideo.com

OR HERE------>http://www.myartvideo.com/forums

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tailwind's Avatar
    vCash

What I'd like to plant:
    Tomatillos
    Tomatos
    Serano chiles
    Jalepenos
    Habenero chiles
    Anaheim chiles (great for Rellenos)
    Garlic
    Onion, both green and yellow
    Marigolds to help keep the bad bugs away
    " A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Olevet Posse Member

vCash

marigolds do that? I knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember... isn't there some sort of herb that also keeps stuff away from your plants??

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ChickSoonerFan's Avatar
    vCash

I have rose bushes in our back yard from the people who owned it before me. I wish I knew how to better take care of them. But the red roses grow right by my back window and I love nothing more than to go out and cut some off and put them in my house. The deep red long stem styled roses...that is what they are and they are amazing to have all around the house. Love it. Do the red ones.

we had rose bushes in our yard at the rent house before we were here, i kept the dead stuff pruned and put "rose food" around the base....they were really tall and cranked out some nice roses on a regular basis

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ChickSoonerFan's Avatar
    vCash

we had rose bushes in our yard at the rent house before we were here, i kept the dead stuff pruned and put "rose food" around the base....they were really tall and cranked out some nice roses on a regular basis
    I think I might be pruning them too much. The ones in the back are little pink like "clusters" of roses..not much smell but pretty in a vase. They have just about completely taken over the back fence area. I think it is too big because the flowers have brown areas on them sometimes. I think the size of the bush itself is taking up too much of the nutrients from the flowers. Does that make sense?

vCash

Another awesome bush is the Burning Bush. They don't bloom any flowers but are an awesome red in the Fall when thier leaves change! Also the Butterfly bush is nice they bloom a nice flower but they don't grow real thick a Cardinal Bush is similar with nice red blooms.