Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Statistical Underachievement

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaat...3fid%3d2329124

An interesting way to look at Coach Sampson's tourney perfromance.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Statistical Underachievement

heh - Rick Barnes is worse. bobbie knight too.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

You read that backwards, BRR.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-World
    vCash

I was fixin to say the same thing Frozen. Looks like Kelvin is in some elite company with Danny Nee and others. although Barnes is right on his heels.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

funny, two of the coaches on the rise.
    Quinn has no job
    Davis won't have a job.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

I have no argument that with the Indiana St and Manhattan losses especially that we have underachieved based on our seed under Sampson (not that I don't appreciate what lead to us having those high seeds) but the article loses me some when it lists Mike Davis and Quin Snyder as #2 and #6 on the up and comer list.

It reminds me of how MU was shooting 50% from the floor in the first 6 minutes of the game against KU. Of course it was just 1-2 and they were down 16-2 but they were shooting well.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

The NCAA tourney is one of the few problems I DO have with Kelvin Sampson's coaching style.

OU is a very physical team. Big 12 refs are used to watching OU play, so lay off the whistles a little bit. Refs in the NCAA tourney aren't as likely to let things go as Big 12 refs are, so we get in to a lot of foul trouble early.

Unfortunately, a lot of years we haven't had the horses to adjust to the less physical style of play in the NCAAs, so we get bounced.

OU DID have the horses for a few years and had some really nice tourney results. The Indiana State loss shouldn't really be counted-OU's best player got a chunk bitten out of his bicept and second-best player didn't even travel to the tourney after getting kicked off the team. The next two years were a Final Four and an Elite Eight-what's whack about that analysis, though, is that losing as a #1 seed in the Elite Eight to a #2 or 3 (can't remember what 'Cuse was) playing in their backyard that went on to win a national championship is somehow considered underachieving. Going to the Final Four the year before as a #2 seed is only considered slightly overacheiving and receives the same weight as a #9 seed beating a #8 to get to the round of 32.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner
    The NCAA tourney is one of the few problems I DO have with Kelvin Sampson's coaching style.

OU is a very physical team. Big 12 refs are used to watching OU play, so lay off the whistles a little bit. Refs in the NCAA tourney aren't as likely to let things go as Big 12 refs are, so we get in to a lot of foul trouble early.

Unfortunately, a lot of years we haven't had the horses to adjust to the less physical style of play in the NCAAs, so we get bounced.

OU DID have the horses for a few years and had some really nice tourney results. The Indiana State loss shouldn't really be counted-OU's best player got a chunk bitten out of his bicept and second-best player didn't even travel to the tourney after getting kicked off the team. The next two years were a Final Four and an Elite Eight-what's whack about that analysis, though, is that losing as a #1 seed in the Elite Eight to a #2 or 3 (can't remember what 'Cuse was) playing in their backyard that went on to win a national championship is somehow considered underachieving. Going to the Final Four the year before as a #2 seed is only considered slightly overacheiving and receives the same weight as a #9 seed beating a #8 to get to the round of 32.
    I pretty much agree with all of that, especially how we have had fouls plague us in some tourney games.

The thing is Sampson's record was flat out terrible in tourney play starting out and has gotten much better though I would argue that the 95-96 teams and 96-97 teams overachieved some just to make the NCAA tourney. As I see it anyway:

94-95 First rd loss to Manhattan, no way to sugar coat that, it was a huge first round choke.
    95-96 We started off the season 1-3, I thought we did well just to make the tourney, the fact that Temple beat us so handily 61-43 was bad but again I think we did well just getting to the tourney that year
    96-97 Loss to Stanford Basic 50/50 game We were probably 2 and done that year anyway but I certainly would have rather won
    97-98 Indiana That was a great game, disappointing but no shame in that loss
    98-99 Sweet 16 run and gave Michigan St all they wanted,
    99-00 62-66 Rd 2 loss to Purdue, not to bitch too much but I remember being really steamed by the officiating in the game, no call in particular sticks with me so that could be some crimson colored glasse. Again a 50/50 game
    00-01 Indiana St loss, even with Price being hurt I think we should have won that game, BUT Price was lost for the year even if we had won and we probably weren't going to go any further
    01-02 Final Four Great tourney run, had we hit a couple shots we would have been in title game
    02-03 Elite 8 vs Syracuse. Congrats on your 24-6 regular season and Big 12 Championship your reward is to play Syracuse in their backyard
    04-05 Utah loss was frustrating, I think we could have played better but I also think Utah played over their heads and hit a couple outside shots that made Neals banked 3-point shot against Colo look like it was by design

Anyway if there is a trend in all this I think it is that we are avergaing 3 1/3 games in our last 3 NCAA tourney appearances after averging 1.4 games per tourney in our previous 7. Also I think our overall talent level in the last 5-6 seasons is much better than in the previous ones.

My .02 anyway
    Last edited by Rock Hard Corn Frog; 2/20/2006 at 05:45 PM.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

talent is better, would be great if we could keep a couple of them transfers here. darn kids

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

You read that backwards, BRR.
    If you simply look at the gap between expected wins and actual wins, Rick Barnes is worse. In fact, he'd be the second worst on that list.

I think that is what BRR was looking at.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Corn Frog
    99-00 62-66 Rd 2 loss to Purdue, not to bitch too much but I remember being really steamed by the officiating in the game, no call in particular sticks with me so that could be some crimson colored glasse. Again a 50/50 game
    No particular call? What about the late phantom foul on the 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems as if we may have gone for a fake PAT once since I've been at Baylor. Although I may have just been drunk and playing Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Back off of Bob (Barry, Sr.). He's drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together.

vCash

Totally agree.

This part, not so much.

Each team has to play the cards they're delt. Doesn't really matter if it's injuries or playing in a lower seeds back yard. It is what it is and pretty much every school can complain but the NCAA's going to do what it wants on that front.

I kind of look at the NCAA tournament like I do the bowls in football. It's where you show what you're made of since it's somebody else picking the match-up and location. The teams you're going to play have either won their conference or were damn near the top. You better bring your 'A' game every night cause most of the time your 'B' game just ain't gonna cut it.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

I'm not saying it's unfair that we lost to Indiana State-just that it's unfair to say OU underacheived in that game. I also say that it's unfair to say that OU underachieved against Syracuse by "only" getting to the Elite Eight. Cripes, they went on to win the national title.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Now, the losses I did have a problem with were the ones where the team that beat us lost in the next round.

vCash

I'm not saying it's unfair that we lost to Indiana State-just that it's unfair to say OU underacheived in that game.
    But didn't we? Top to bottom, we should be better than Indiana State.

I also say that it's unfair to say that OU underachieved against Syracuse by "only" getting to the Elite Eight. Cripes, they went on to win the national title.
    Can't disagree with that. Elite Eight is quite an achievement.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Well, I can remember a guy who played at Indiana State who's better than anyone we've ever had at OU.

vCash

Well, I can remember a guy who played at Indiana State who's better than anyone we've ever had at OU.
    That was over 25 years ago. I'm not sure I can name a single player or year that Indiana State was even remotely close to being as good as they were then.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUstud
    No particular call? What about the late phantom foul on the 3?
    I must have had a few 's that night and suppressed that memory. All I remember was being ****ed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not saying it's unfair that we lost to Indiana State-just that it's unfair to say OU underacheived in that game. I also say that it's unfair to say that OU underachieved against Syracuse by "only" getting to the Elite Eight. Cripes, they went on to win the national title.
    What aggravates me most about the Indiana State game is that Hollis didn't get chomped until AFTER we'd blown a 16-point lead with ten minutes left in the game.

He should've never been hurt. He should've been on the bench celebrating an easy first-round win.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

if Jason Yannish makes that wide open layup, we go all the way baby!