Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Mormons vs. Science

http://www.slate.com/id/2136042/

DNA evidence is rattling Mormonism.
    The church converted millions of Latin Americans and Polynesians with its scriptural story that they came from a lost tribe of Israel. DNA says they came from Asia instead. Old Mormon argument: The scripture is literally true. New arguments: 1) DNA evidence is being twisted by enemies of the church. 2) Maybe the folks who came from the lost tribe were few, and their DNA was "swamped" by immigrants from Asia. Try falsifying that! 3) "The Book of Mormon will never be proved or disproved by science." 4) We're "willing to live in ambiguity."
    This should be fun.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerWood's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Mormons vs. Science

heh

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Pieces Hit's Avatar
    vCash

If only Marie Osmond would be mine I'd gladly convert.
    Don't tell Carrie pls.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

This reminds me of a South Park episode.

just sayin
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

I read about this recently and chuckled to myself. Two of my best friends in high school were mormons. I went to their church a couple of times, but was asked not to come back because I kept asking the teacher, "Where in the Bible does it say that?" He got tired of me refering him to Revelation 22:18-19 everytime he referred me to the Book of Mormon:

18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Don't Mormons have magic underwear they wear?
    If so, do they have a special underwear shop they go to?
    If not a shop then how do they get it?
    I know it's magic but please.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

Dum dum dum dum dum....
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall
    I read about this recently and chuckled to myself. Two of my best friends in high school were mormons. I went to their church a couple of times, but was asked not to come back because I kept asking the teacher, "Where in the Bible does it say that?" He got tired of me refering him to Revelation 22:18-19 everytime he referred me to the Book of Mormon:

18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
    Yeah, imagine that. They kicked you out because when they tried to extend the love of their faith to you you mocked them and told them they were going to Hell.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner
    Yeah, imagine that. They kicked you out because when they tried to extend the love of their faith to you you mocked them and told them they were going to Hell.
    For some reason, I don't get "mocked them and told them they were going to hell" out of "where does the Bible say that"?

Maybe it's just me.

vCash

More on the magic underwear pls.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pieces Hit
    More on the magic underwear pls.
    I'm not sure if it's "magic" underwear, but it's "special" underwear. They borrow a lot of stuff from Old Testament ceremonial worship, because they consider their "elders" to be the heirs of the old Levitical priesthood. The special undergarments are detailed in the Mosaic law. The Mormons ascribe a somewhat different purpose to them, but I'm not clear on exactly what that is. But the special underwear is only to be worn for temple ceremonies.

As to where they get them, I think they're supposed to be hand made, but I'm sure the Mormon church has some way of producing them in mass quantities.

vCash

You reckon I could join just long enough to get some or would they want them back?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by handcrafted
    For some reason, I don't get "mocked them and told them they were going to hell" out of "where does the Bible say that"?

Maybe it's just me.

Maybe you didn't read the rest of his post after that-sounds to me like the point he was trying to make is that Revelations says that God will punish Mormons.

You don't think it's mocking to go into a Christian class and ask "Where does it say that in the Torah?" Maybe it's just me, but that's an intentionally hostile act. You KNOW the answer, but you're trying to be argumentative.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Why do you hate Jehovah's Witnesses?

vCash

Maybe you didn't read the rest of his post after that-sounds to me like the point he was trying to make is that Revelations says that God will punish Mormons.

You don't think it's mocking to go into a Christian class and ask "Where does it say that in the Torah?" Maybe it's just me, but that's an intentionally hostile act. You KNOW the answer, but you're trying to be argumentative.
    If it were me teaching, I'd answer the Jewish person's question no matter how it was asked. I suppose it's all in the tone of voice and intention.

Most Bible study/Sunday school teachers I know welcome any kind of questions. There are exceptions, to be sure. But those people don't need to be teaching, if they can't handle a few hard questions. The point is to be trained to teach well, not to just spout doctrine in fancy language and smack down all opposition.

Mormons, OTOH, are taught from the outset not to question the prophet/president, or any of the church leaders, in the same way that Romans are taught not to question the Pope. So it's quite possible that the Mormon teacher would have been offended by any kind of question, no matter how it was asked.

vCash

I practice religious tolerance for all people's beliefs who prescribe to the basic tenents of my faith.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

More and more, this place reminds me of something my grandfather used to say about wrestling with pigs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pieces Hit
    You reckon I could join just long enough to get some or would they want them back?
    Not sure, but there's a temple up in Yukon. Why don't you go ask them?

vCash

More and more, this place reminds me of something my grandfather used to say about wrestling with pigs.
    Post reported.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by handcrafted
    If it were me teaching, I'd answer the Jewish person's question no matter how it was asked. I suppose it's all in the tone of voice and intention.

Most Bible study/Sunday school teachers I know welcome any kind of questions. There are exceptions, to be sure. But those people don't need to be teaching, if they can't handle a few hard questions. The point is to be trained to teach well, not to just spout doctrine in fancy language and smack down all opposition.

Mormons, OTOH, are taught from the outset not to question the prophet/president, or any of the church leaders, in the same way that Romans are taught not to question the Pope. So it's quite possible that the Mormon teacher would have been offended by any kind of question, no matter how it was asked.
    Dude, you are so full of it. TDTW was being a smartass with the LDSers and that's obvious. You can fight the good fight in a lot of areas, but this isn't one. It's not a real defendable position.

Back on topic, I didn't know most LDSers really paid much attention to science in the first place...
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.