Dangd o man drinkin beer with Hank, Bill, and Dale man!
    vCash

Questions about Career Change

Do any of you guys (gals) know how I can get into the Athletic Administration scene at the University/College level. What is the best way? I have found a website that offers a degree in Sports Management called Sports Management Worldwide. It is located at http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/index.asp I just don't trust websites and degree programs, I guess.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Education.

If you guys have any tips for me please tell me. I have come to a crossroads with my career (teaching) and feel like I need to take a different path.

Thanks guys!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Re: Questions about Career Change

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer
    Do any of you guys (gals) know how I can get into the Athletic Administration scene at the University/College level. What is the best way? I have found a website that offers a degree in Sports Management called Sports Management Worldwide. It is located at http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/index.asp I just don't trust websites and degree programs, I guess.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Education.

If you guys have any tips for me please tell me. I have come to a crossroads with my career (teaching) and feel like I need to take a different path.

Thanks guys!
    IMHO, I'd try to get an entry-level job in that arena to get some experience, while pursuing a masters in it.

For example, I don't know if its been filled yet, but the Tulsa 66ers were looking for a general office manager as late as two weeks ago. Bachelors Degree highly desired.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Thanks Homey! I will look into it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

go talk to the local University about being a GA and working for free in the sport that you currently coach for HS. Or maybe ask if you can attend coaches meetings with them under the guise of being a better HS coach. Just get to know the folks. Get to know the coaches and once you get to know them ask about the AD situation. See if they have a need for an assistant NCAA compliance officer or other entry level AD job.
    one day

vCash

I found on the NCAA website that OU is accepting applications for a grad assistant in the "diversity council". I guess it is a 2 year course in which the first year would be spending six weeks in 4 different sports while the second year would be doing one sport all year. YOu would learn the basics of the athletic department through these sports. I have emailed for more information so hopefully they will respond.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

I had friends that got a sports management/administration degree at a school in Alabama (around Mobile). It was only 1 year, but was expensive. The school does a good job of job placement. I knew guys who worked for Titleist, Astros, Rangers and Jack Nicklaus.

Per conversations with AD and assistant ADs, about the only way to make it in a college athletic department is to pay your dues....i.e. - enthusiastic work for peanuts for several years. Learning the political game would be very helpful as well.

vCash

Even though it will be a struggle, financially, for a few years I am willing to do it. I used to think that teaching was pretty much easy work....not so much anymore!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer
    Even though it will be a struggle, financially, for a few years I am willing to do it. I used to think that teaching was pretty much easy work....not so much anymore!
    Maybe you could try this in the summer when you don't have to work for 3 months

vCash

I could do that! I love me some 3 months off!