Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Definition of Mediocrity

I know you guys will rip anyone that questions the deity that is coach Denim, but honestly when are we going to quit accepting mediocrity? It's the same BS every year.

Sure you can point out that we have the fifth best record in all of D1 Basketball and that we have made it to exactly one Final Four under coach Denim, but is that enough? I think that with a team that wins that much pure statistics say you're going to make one Final Four in 12 years or whatever the stat is. I'm tired of watching all balls and no brains basketball. Take the F-ing lid off the basket in practice and run some sets that will keep you from 15 minute dry spells. I hear the same crap I heard when people were calling for Blake's head. He's a good guy. He's developing the program. He's got good kids. That's all fine and well but he gets paid a HUGE amount of money to get the F-ing job done. I'm tired of running good kids off. Sure some will leave but you can't tell me that everyone of the kids that have left have been bad kids. DeAngelo was a great kid.

I guess my question is what is it going to take for some people to realize that we need some changes. Either force Kelvin to make some changes or force his *** out.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Definition of Mediocrity

I think Coach Denim is gonna leave someday and we'll see what REAL mediocrity is.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

There was Oklahoma basketball before Sampson, and there will be Oklahoma basketball after him. Don't be afraid to make a move with someone because you're afraid who might get the job.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish
    I think Coach Denim is gonna leave someday and we'll see what REAL mediocrity is.
    Wasn't this the same gloom and doom we heard when we fired Blake? Honestly we could do worse but at the same time we could do better. We've had how long to figure out Kelvin is going to keep us in the respectable tier of college basketball but NEVER take us over the top. So do we accept just sitting in the middle or trying to take the next step?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Audrey: He worked really hard, Grandma.
    Art: So do washing machines.
    Just sayin'.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quit freaking out people.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ucosooner
    Quit freaking out people.
    Are you saying we should be happy with what happened today?
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerDood's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBnds
    Wasn't this the same gloom and doom we heard when we fired Blake? Honestly we could do worse but at the same time we could do better. We've had how long to figure out Kelvin is going to keep us in the respectable tier of college basketball but NEVER take us over the top. So do we accept just sitting in the middle or trying to take the next step?
    if he's here long enough, he'll get a free pass like Jim Boeheim or Saint Eddie.

Brewmaster

vCash

Boeheim did manage to win an NC, though. granted, it took Carmelo Anthony to do it, but still.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

Carmelo Anthony...career 8 point 3 board a game guy in Kelvin's system. Transfers after year 2 to second rate school. Now in Europe.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Yeah mediocrity is being the winningest team in your conference over the last decade, going to the Final Four, winning three conference titles, and only finishing out of the top 4 in the conference twice in 12 years.

God forbid should you ever have to experience what real mediocrity is if you think this is it.
    Last edited by suncoastsooner7; 2/5/2006 at 04:43 PM.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Blake wasn't the winningest coach in school history.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by suncoastsooner7
    Yeah mediocrity is being the winningest team in your conference over the last decade, going to the Final Four, and winning three conference titles.

God forbid should you ever have to experience what real mediocrity is if you think this is it.
    And God forbid you might ever have to experience greatness if you think that this is it.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

Brewmaster

vCash

Yeah mediocrity is being the winningest team in your conference over the last decade, going to the Final Four, and winning three conference titles.

Mediocrity is getting bumped from the NCAA tournament in the first round by Indiana Freaking State. Wait, we did that.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    Mediocrity is getting bumped from the NCAA tournament in the first round by Indiana Freaking State. Wait, we did that.
    Don't forget the NIT loss to Michigan, or the early round exits against Purdue (lower seed), Utah (lower seed), Temple, and Manahattan.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride

Yeah because it wasn't as though we weren't bumped from the NCAA tournament in the first or second round of the tournament by Indiana (second round), Evansville (first round), Memphis (second round), UNC (second round and worst UNC team in the last 20 years), and Southwest Louisiana State (first round) the previous decade and a half before he got here.

Brewmaster

vCash

So you're saying there's been no substantial improvement in our NCAA tournament performance since Kelvin got here?

Like I said, I like Kelvin, I just hate losing games because we get a lead, go into clock-burning mode and can't come out of it to score points when the other team decides to take advantage of that.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Yeah because it wasn't as though we weren't bumped from the NCAA tournament in the first or second round of the tournament by Indiana (second round), Evansville (first round), Memphis (second round), UNC (second round and worst UNC team in the last 20 years), and Southwest Louisiana State (first round) the previous decade and a half before he got here.
    WTF does Tubbs have to do with Kelvin? Tubbs built this program from nothing. Under him we were a perennial power. Under Kelvin we are capable of losing to any team we play. Since you are a suncoast guy and like to pump, are you happy with what's going on? This was supposed to be our year and now we aren't even the top of the terrible Big XII class anymore. Where do we go from here? If the conference was halfway decent we'd be heading to the NIT again with a senior laden team.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

WTF does Tubbs have to do with Kelvin? Tubbs built this program from nothing. Under him we were a perennial power. Under Kelvin we are capable of losing to any team we play. Since you are a suncoast guy and like to pump, are you happy with what's going on? This was supposed to be our year and now we aren't even the top of the terrible Big XII class anymore. Where do we go from here? If the conference was halfway decent we'd be heading to the NIT again with a senior laden team.

Sorry Bruce Drake built this program from nothing. Both Billy and and Kelvin had very little in the way of overall talent when they came in but neither "built" this program. Sorry I could only use Billy's stats in the Tournament but it was so rare that Bliss, Ramsey, MacLeod, Steven, or Parrack ever made the tournament period there just aren't many stats for from their eras to use. But if you like MacLeod got us bounced in the first round, at home, against Hawaii in the NIT.

Fact of the matter is that only three coaches out of eleven in Sooner history have made it to the tournament on a consistant basis, and a Final Four... only one of those has done it more than once and his name is neither Sampson or Tubbs.

In short I wasn't bashing Tubbs but unless I go all the way back to the WWII era we haven't really EVER made the tournament on a consistant basis to compare our performances against.

As far as perennial power under Tubbs, that wasn't the case. We were a "power" for three years, about the same as under Kelvin Sampson. And just like with Sampson that was due just as much to assistants that were brought in and then left.
    Last edited by suncoastsooner7; 2/5/2006 at 05:32 PM.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I also think you have the Sun Coast confused with the Gold Coast. Sun Coast = Gulf Coast where we like to lay in the shade with bungalows in the background and stiff drinks in our hands. I believe you are thinking of the Gold Coast which is the Pacific coast where they like to look like Arnold, hit the roids, and have a skyline in the background.