Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Wife and light bulbs....

Over our dining room table, we have a weird looking light with 3 halogen lights. One of the lights burned out yesterday. Mrs went to the store and bought new lights and put them in today. Suddenly this evening, the new light bulbs went out. After an observation, there is a little sticker on the light sockets that states "use 20 volt bulbs". Mrs used 50 volt. What is the failure and can it be repaired? I paid a lot for this light and to have it installed. HELP!!!!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Re: Wife and light bulbs....

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gore
    Over our dining room table, we have a weird looking light with 3 halogen lights. One of the lights burned out yesterday. Mrs went to the store and bought new lights and put them in today. Suddenly this evening, the new light bulbs went out. After an observation, there is a little sticker on the light sockets that states "use 20 volt bulbs". Mrs used 50 volt. What is the failure and can it be repaired? I paid a lot for this light and to have it installed. HELP!!!!!!!!
    Those bulbs could have put off so much heat that they fried the internal wiring given they are more than twice the rated capacity per the warning stickers. I would think the expensive part of the fixture is the exterior stuff. Even if you fried it, if its a big buck fixture, it can prolly be re-wired. Check with one of those home lighting places in the phone book -- ideally the place you bought it.

Also, any chance it just tripped the breaker? Is anything else on that circuit and is it still working? Check for GFI's being popped too. If that's all it is, you got off easy.

If its not the breaker, to save yourself some dough, you prolly oughtta be prepared to take it down and bring it in to the place.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Hot Wives don't make good electricians.

vCash

Ok....I am going to inspect the wire....I already checked the breaker....

vCash

Is there a ballast for these type of lights???

vCash

Is there a ballast for these type of lights???
    Unlikely, ballast is for flourescents.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

I don't think so..... I've never seen them anyway.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

vCash

vCash

By now he's either electrocuted himself, or he is observing crispy, fried wires and charred sockets. Hope its the latter for his sake.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup
    Hot Wives don't make good electricians.
    They only attempt to burn down the house.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup
    HOT.......

vCash

Checked out the first one....it was ok....I was hoping you guys had a magical solution...

vCash

Don't let her hook up the computer either.

vCash

The sockets and wires looked ok.....what about at the top where the house wiring comes in? Can anything fry up there?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

You have to watch halogen bulbs also. They get so hot that oils from your fingers can create a hot spot on the bulb and ruin it. Only handle halogen bulbs with gloves or at the very least clean it well after installation.

vCash

The sockets and wires looked ok.....what about at the top where the house wiring comes in? Can anything fry up there?
    Prolly okay up there. You might try retrieving one of the original equipment 20 watters that hadn't burned out that she replaced and see if it still works with one of them. Other than that, I'm afraid you're looking at a re-wiring job.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

why don't you take some of that money you were going to spend on your son and a porsche and call a repairman?
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

maybe i'm just being blonde here, but wouldn't the best solution be to use 20 watt bulbs instead of 50 watt ones?
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

I was expecting something totally different, just from the title of this thread.

Carry on...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

What's the status of this problem? We need an update.