Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 KingDavid's Avatar
    vCash

Are we out of room?

Can someone explain to me how we can possibly still have room for McCoy, Walker, Morgan and/or Gresham? I don't understand the term "grayshirt." If I am one of the Sooner's existing recruits (now 26 if I'm not mistaken), do I start to sweat that my scholarship might be rescinded or something? I can't see Stoops and staff doing something like that, but given how wishy-washy the recruits themselves are, I wonder - I just don't understand the protocol for how all this works. Somebody help relieve my ignorance, please, and spare no details. Also, while you're out it, can somebody breakdown the abbreviation codes around here (e.g. what the heck is IMO?) Thanks!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Are we out of room?

its pretty complicated. we only have room for 3 of the 4 if we keep gibbs.

vCash

Do you mind filling me in a bit more on the explanation of how we get there? Or pointing me in the direction of an article somewhere? Tell me how close I am: I read an article on rivals a while back that indicated the NEO guys would give up two spots when Gibbs heads to Oregon and Patterson fails to qualify. Everyone keeps saying Patterson might make it, though. Seems like wishful thinking to me to get 30 hours squeezed into 5 months when it took him 1.5 years to get the first 30.

Assuming Gibbs leaves and Patterson doesn't qualify, then where do the other 2 openings come from because I understand that the scholarship counts will only yield 25 schols for this year.

Are we counting on another DT leaving if/when we confirm that McCoy is a Sooner? Is there someone else who is not going to qualify? Or several? How does that work anyway?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

I cant explain it to you but from what ive heard we have about 27-29 openings this year, I dont know how it works at all but this is what Ive heard on the Animal
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

vCash

we had 2 spring entrants, but we aren't sure if either of them can count towards the prior class. the question revolves around whether mike knall was a scholarship player last year and whether brandon keith's scholarship counted.

so, best situation we can take 27 this year, unless we have them walkon. the kid from grove is a walkon and chase beeler out of union may be a academic scholarship walkon for the first year. so theoretically we could take 29 and be okay.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

We have a couple of guys who may not qualify.

Greyshirting means a guy pays his own way for a semester then gets a scholly in spring.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

no, that's walking on.

greyshirting means you wait a semester to enroll in school - delaying your eligibility clock.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Can OU just gives scholarships to the best players in the recruiting class? If that's the case, then they can just choose from all the players who committed. Can't OU just pull the scholarship offer the last second from someone one or several people such as Quentin Carter or Adrian Taylor, if we get McCoy or some other big time prospects to commit late?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    no, that's walking on.

greyshirting means you wait a semester to enroll in school - delaying your eligibility clock.

You are correct. I've made two gross misstatements today.

I'm a tard.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

I dont know the rules on that but I would hope not. That just doesnt seem right. A kid commits early because he wants to play at OU. The team offered, Maybe Gibbs since he is looking around anyways, but a kid that is a solid commit that would stink.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner13f
    I dont know the rules on that but I would hope not. That just doesnt seem right. A kid commits early because he wants to play at OU. The team offered, Maybe Gibbs since he is looking around anyways, but a kid that is a solid commit that would stink.
    . . . not to mention it would be the kiss of death for subsequent recruiting classes, if not the morale of the whole squad when it got back to the players that the coaches aren't good for their word.

vCash

they could, but they won't. to be honest, i'll bet there is room for gibbs as well.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

From what I understand all of our early entrants should be able to count against last year.

I don't know how, but I believe that some of the guys that left last year can have their spots filled by subsequent incoming classes which should open up enough holes for this year. Off the top of the head Grady, Choice, Tennial, McAdams, Dampeer and Cade were all freshmen last year that left.

vCash

I know they all weren't freshmen, but all of those did leave. That's an interesting take, though. Thanks. I suppose my main concern when I see 26 recruits and no McCoy, Walker, or Gresham, I start to wonder what's up. But think about how assinine that is: as if I need to call the batline in Bob's office and remind him to leave room for McCoy. Silly me.

vCash

which wasn't a freshman?

vCash

the problem is that we might have given out 25 scholarships last year. the question centers around whether knall and keith were officially counted. the one thing about all of these recruited walkons is that now we are in danger of exceeding the 85 man limit.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruuuuuufus
    which wasn't a freshman?
    I know Grady was a Sophomore, and wasn't Cade, too? Tennial and Choice I believe would have been sophomores, too. I could be wrong.

vCash

All those guys were redshirt freshmen last year (04-05) and would have been sophomores this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okienole3's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    no, that's walking on.

You can still take hours. Just not a full load. Correct?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Hold up, Ive got it...Bob Stoops knows exactly how many schollys he has and who he is giving them too, so lets not worry about it, thats his job!
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/