Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Replace Kelvin with who?

Now I remember. Thet let Foust play in the game because it was in his hometown.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Sooner Spectator Editor Jay C. Upchurch's Avatar
    vCash

Foust was not a McD All-American, nor did he play in that game with Lavender.

The only prep All-Star game they both played in was the Jordan Capital Classic.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C. Upchurch
    Foust was not a McD All-American, nor did he play in that game with Lavender.

The only prep All-Star game they both played in was the Jordan Capital Classic.
    Well, there ya go. He was ONLY a Michael Jordan classic invitee. Doesn't really matter, since he too was run off of campus.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Chris Lowery name of interest?

Hometown:
    Evansville, Ind.

Position:
    Head Coach

Birthdate:
    07/07/1972

Experience:
    2nd year

Alma Mater:
    Southern Illinois (1995)

Updated Oct. 20, 2005

Few people have had a bigger hand in the success of Saluki basketball than Chris Lowery. Whether as a player, assistant coach or head coach, he has helped build Saluki Basketball into one of the top college programs in America.

Lowery, Saluki basketball and winning all seem to go hand-in-hand.

The common thread between his seven seasons as a Saluki player, assistant coach and now head coach is that ALL of his teams have advanced to post-season play.

In 2004-05, Lowery guided his alma mater to the NCAA Tournament, where it beat Saint Mary's and nearly upset Oklahoma State. At age 32, he was the youngest head coach in the tournament.

SIU finished with a 27-8 record, and Lowery, the fifth-youngest coach in Division I, was named coach-of-the-year in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NickZeppelin's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron
    Yeah and we were much better after that too.

He was already crossways with Kelvin for off-the-court issues by then. Drew probably told Kelvin that his offense was lamer than his High school team's.
    You do realize we won the Big 12 after that point.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

It amuses me how lenient Nick is with Kelvin but Bob Stoops is the spawn of Satan. God knows how bad your threads would be if Bob got us on probation by directly breaking the rules himself

vCash

but Nick also has the more accurate assessment of what is going on with Kelvin's team.

Both Lavender and Foust suffered geatly from Bruce Howards' death. He was essentially their moral and maturity compass as well as their ex-prep coach and Drew's stepfather. They had adjustment issues and Drew really didn't favor waking up for class. He also didn't favor working hard and he wasn't silent about it. His vocal nature there affected Mackenzie and even Taj Gray. Thankfully Taj's father intervened there and smacked some sense into him.

Make no mistake, the losses were painful. We desperately need competent guards right now. DeAngelo's classroom follies further torpedoed the backcourt ills and we end up stuck with Neal, an injured newbie in AJ, a JUCO xfer who hasn't come close to seeing the light, and a couple of SF's. However ... I'd rather suffer this season and work through it than let Drew's demeanor affect Scotty, Damion, Tony, Jeremy, and an already embattled Keith Clark. I suspect Kelvin felt the same way as he steered clear of anyone with even a hint of attitude when searching for a JUCO point this past summer.

If you want the real on McD's xfers then just ask Ryan. He'll make no bones about telling you he made a mistake. He's since sent apologies to Kelvin for the way things turned bad.

I'll support Kelvin as long as I think he's the right choice for OU. The minute that I think he's lied about the NCAA violations, though, is the minute I think he needs to go. I believe him about the "calls" definition because it's been an issue with many other coaches. But, the issue with contacting juniors bothers me. That rule is very simple to follow.

If it comes down to another coach then I'd pick someone with more balance. But, this is still a program on the build. More scoring will NOT fill the seats at LNC. The only thing that will do that is a better attitude among the fans and a better love for the sport. Poor offense just offers them a ready-made excuse. I hope that having the Hornets around gets them to like the game more.

The SIU coach would be a good pick as would Mike Anderson at UAB. Anderson is my personal choice because that press would effectively do what Kelvin does now - use defense to gain consistency with wins. The more open offense might open a few more doors in terms of recruiting as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MojoRisen
    Chris Lowery name of interest?

Hometown:
    Evansville, Ind.

Position:
    Head Coach

Birthdate:
    07/07/1972

Experience:
    2nd year

Alma Mater:
    Southern Illinois (1995)

Updated Oct. 20, 2005

Few people have had a bigger hand in the success of Saluki basketball than Chris Lowery. Whether as a player, assistant coach or head coach, he has helped build Saluki Basketball into one of the top college programs in America.

Lowery, Saluki basketball and winning all seem to go hand-in-hand.

The common thread between his seven seasons as a Saluki player, assistant coach and now head coach is that ALL of his teams have advanced to post-season play.

In 2004-05, Lowery guided his alma mater to the NCAA Tournament, where it beat Saint Mary's and nearly upset Oklahoma State. At age 32, he was the youngest head coach in the tournament.

SIU finished with a 27-8 record, and Lowery, the fifth-youngest coach in Division I, was named coach-of-the-year in the Missouri Valley Conference.
    You might want to wait to see how he maintains a program with his own recruits. He's not even the best coach in the Valley. Altman is.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    You might want to wait to see how he maintains a program with his own recruits. He's not even the best coach in the Valley. Altman is.

Altman has more experience, Head to head we will have to see- Altman is another good coach- KSU will tell you that.

vCash

Altman has more experience, Head to head we will have to see- Altman is another good coach- KSU will tell you that.
    KSU can tell you what happens when you run off a successful coach because people don't embrace his style.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

The same KSU that just did what Altman couldn't do?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CtheB
    The same KSU that just did what Altman couldn't do?
    Altman was the last one before Woolridge to beat KU.

vCash

Lorenzo Romar
    Tod Kowalczyk
    Sean Miller
    Doc Sadler
    Karl Hobb
    Tom Crean - maybe tough to get...

vCash

Lorenzo Romar
    Tod Kowalczyk
    Sean Miller
    Doc Sadler
    Karl Hobb
    Tom Crean - maybe tough to get...
    Romar's a UW alum. He's not going anywhere. I'd let Miller and Sadler prove they can maintain their programs with there own recruiting first. Hobbs is in a good situation and is likely Calhoun's successor at UCONN, so he would be a tough sell. Crean would probably be easier to get than Hobbs just because Marquette has stagnated. If I were OU, I would take a run at Paul Hewitt at GT because his contract doesn't have a buy-out attached for the next 18 months because of an AD change, plus he's an uptempo guy. Stew Morrill at USU might be another guy worth looking at, Jimmy Patsos would be another up and comer, but he would be a better fit up here in Lincoln than down in Norman because of the states of the respective programs.

Sooner Spectator Editor Jay C. Upchurch's Avatar
    vCash

Chris Lowery's Southern Illinois squad is averaging a whopping 61.2 points a game this season against one of the easiest schedules in the country. No doubt he'd bring an exciting brand of hoops to Norman.

vCash

Romar's a UW alum. He's not going anywhere. I'd let Miller and Sadler prove they can maintain their programs with there own recruiting first. Hobbs is in a good situation and is likely Calhoun's successor at UCONN, so he would be a tough sell. Crean would probably be easier to get than Hobbs just because Marquette has stagnated. If I were OU, I would take a run at Paul Hewitt at GT because his contract doesn't have a buy-out attached for the next 18 months because of an AD change, plus he's an uptempo guy. Stew Morrill at USU might be another guy worth looking at, Jimmy Patsos would be another up and comer, but he would be a better fit up here in Lincoln than down in Norman because of the states of the respective programs.
    Marquette crushed UCCON this year I bet they turn out pretty solid... The one think about Sadler is he has personally recruited 8-10 NBA Caliber players to a Middle Tier School over the years.

Paul Hewitt HUM...

vCash

Marquette crushed UCCON this year I bet they turn out pretty solid... The one think about Sadler is he has personally recruited 8-10 NBA Caliber players to a Middle Tier School over the years.

Paul Hewitt HUM...
    Marqutte also got rolled by Nebraska in a game that was nowhere as close as the 84-74 score indicates. They have the shooters than can steal a game, and make a napping team look silly but there not built for the long haul.

vCash

Marqutte also got rolled by Nebraska in a game that was nowhere as close as the 84-74 score indicates. They have the shooters than can steal a game, and make a napping team look silly but there not built for the long haul.
    Then by fault OU is good!

What about Tod Kowalczyk??? Sounds like he is getting some good recruits to Milwaukee- that ain't easy.

Other than that- I hope Kelvin can just loosen up and take some initiative to learn some new offensive schemes- it is like selling cable you don't have to be cox to be time warner.

Based on Jay's last comment- Lowry is out of consideration. UAB coach sounds interesting- but KU beat em by 30 and that is more interesting.

vCash

Then by fault OU is good!

What about Tod Kowalczyk??? Sounds like he is getting some good recruits to Milwaukee- that ain't easy.

Other than that- I hope Kelvin can just loosen up and take some initiative to learn some new offensive schemes- it is like selling cable you don't have to be cox to be time warner.

Based on Jay's last comment- Lowry is out of consideration. UAB coach sounds interesting- but KU beat em by 30 and that is more interesting.
    Randy Bennet at St. Mary's would be worth looking at. His situation is somewhat limited there. UAB coach is from Birimingham, and has turned down overtures from top-notch programs in the past.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Sherri Coale?