Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Edmond, Oklahoma -- the greatest city in Oklahoma
    vCash

A Kelvin fan starting to say "enough"

First off, I've supported Kelvin since day one.

I miss Billy Ball and beating whoever 120-80 something, but also love the defensive game and have really enjoyed OU Basketball the past 12 years.

That being said, as a loyal supporter of OU in all sports, I am about ready to establish the following baselines for my continued support of Kelvin remaining basketball coach:

We finish 3rd in conference and the sanctions are mild? I say he stays.

We finish less than 3rd in conference and the sanctions are mild? I say he gets a warning from Joe that he's gotta improve or he's gone...

The sanctions are not mild and we finish 3rd in conference? I'm leaning towards bye.

The sanctions are not mild and we finish less than fourth? Bye.

Here is my reasoning:

I think Kelvin is a great (not good) but a great coach who knows the game well and can flat out coach.

I don't think Kelvin does a good job in recruiting/keeping players. Sorry, but we've lost more talent at OU than we've brought in, despite the new facilities.

I simply don't think making the postseason is enough for OU. I think we have to shoot for going deep into postseason.

My expectations may be too high, but just going to one final four and losing the majority in the first round just doesn't cut it.

And please save the "oh, you just hate Kelvin" crap for another poster.

Re: A Kelvin fan starting to say "enough"

I think Kelvin is distracted. Couple that with the guards not being 1/2 of what we were lead to believe, and there you have it.

Distracted by what? I dunno.

Maybe phone gate, maybe the penalties are more harsh than he thought, I dunno. But something is eating at him and he doesn't seem like his normal self.

Have you ever seen a KS team lose games at the very end like the last TWO?

Me either.

Sumpin is up with KS. JMHO

I, also, have supported Kelvin thru everything. This season I just don't understand. We were picked high by knowledgeable people. I never agreed, but felt it would be a very good season. We have lost to two mediocre conference teams. The tougher ones lie ahead. It's possible the NCAA investigation is affecting Kelvin's teaching. What our staff allegedly did was stupid, and Kelvin is not stupid. Yet the only aspect of basketball where we are doing well is rebounding. We could still recover but I feel the damage has been done.

vCash

You guys should hire Barry Collier away from Nebraska. I promise it will fullfill your wildest expectations.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by frou
    Sumpin is up with KS.
    Karen took him to see a 'western' movie.

Turns out it was Brokeback.

Never been the same, since.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

i watched the first couple of exhibition games and this team has regressed since then. kurt smith was comparing it to the 92 tubbs team. saddenly, its a fitting analogy.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

WHo is the most apealing name/names to consider for kelvins replacement if he has to step down for what ever reason's.

Gonzaga, valpo, Northern Iowa, Huggins(I know you guys hate him) what other coaches are out there that are either available or recruitable to a major University like OU. MONEY TALKS

Your thoughts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MojoRisen
    WHo is the most apealing name/names to consider for kelvins replacement if he has to step down for what ever reason's.

Gonzaga, valpo, Northern Iowa, Huggins(I know you guys hate him) what other coaches are out there that are either available or recruitable to a major University like OU. MONEY TALKS

Your thoughts.
    Drew at Valpo has already retired once. He came back when his son went to Baylor. I doubt he is looking to move up. McDermott at UNI is a Panther alum, and is getting a brand new arena next year. He would be a difficult sell. Gonzaga is probably as good as job as OU right now with their new arena and name recognition, he would be a very difficult sell, and I think he only leaves Gonzaga for a school where hoops are king. That doesn't seem to be the case at OU. Why not take a run at Karl Hobbs from George Washington, even though he is probably biding his time until he can take over at UCONN. Kevin Stallings at Vandy might be a very good fit at OU.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MojoRisen

Your thoughts.
    If forced to make a change, and to appease the fans that support Kelvin and his style of ball, we should look no further than Charlie Spoonhour.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUGreg723's Avatar
    vCash

Guys, things seem bad now, but let's be patient with this team. We have an outstanding inside game, and a good defensive team. It is obvious that our gaurd play is holding us back. Everette is the only proven player at gaurd, and he has not been playing very well the last 5 games or so. Let's be patient. this season is nowhere near over.

Hey and next year its gonna be SILLY. Just look at the recruits coming in. I say Damion James and Scottie Reynolds will start immediatley.

You guys will be loving Kelvin when Scottie is wetin' threes all day long, and throwin' up ally-oops to Damion!

Starting line up next year:

G- Scottie Reynolds
    G- Mike Neal
    F- Damion James
    F- Neal Carter
    F- Longar Longar

I think this year's squad will end up being successful, but next year is going to be just as good or better. We have some really good years ahead of us!!
    BOOMER SOONER!

vCash

Greg, didn't we hear this last year about this year's team?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUGreg723
    Guys, things seem bad now, but let's be patient with this team. We have an outstanding inside game, and a good defensive team. It is obvious that our gaurd play is holding us back. Everette is the only proven player at gaurd, and he has not been playing very well the last 5 games or so. Let's be patient. this season is nowhere near over.

Hey and next year its gonna be SILLY. Just look at the recruits coming in. I say Damion James and Scottie Reynolds will start immediatley.

You guys will be loving Kelvin when Scottie is wetin' threes all day long, and throwin' up ally-oops to Damion!

Starting line up next year:

G- Scottie Reynolds
    G- Mike Neal
    F- Damion James
    F- Neal Carter
    F- Longar Longar

I think this year's squad will end up being successful, but next year is going to be just as good or better. We have some really good years ahead of us!!
    BOOMER SOONER!
    If Longar Longar is starting for us next year, it ain't gonna be pretty.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CtheB
    Greg, didn't we hear this last year about this year's team?
    Yeah, except this year isnt over, and next year we have more talent coming to Norman than ever in the history of Oklahoma Basketball. I don't think many people realize how good Scottie Reynolds is. Just wait, you guys will see.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PrideTrombone
    If Longar Longar is starting for us next year, it ain't gonna be pretty.
    Longar Longar is going to be a good player. He has an enormous amount of ability and potential to be great.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Longar Longar is going to be a good player. He has an enormous amount of ability and potential to be great.
    I'll spek PrideTrombone the next time he posts something positive about anything, because it'll be the first time.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    I'll spek PrideTrombone the next time he posts something positive about anything, because it'll be the first time.
    I'm eating Pei Wei. It's damn good.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

Edmond, Oklahoma -- the greatest city in Oklahoma
    vCash

Guys, things seem bad now, but let's be patient with this team.
    That's why I'm saying end of the year expectations/disappointments. I'm very disappointed now, but know that things can turn around in a season (see OU Football 2005).

We have an outstanding inside game, and a good defensive team. It is obvious that our gaurd play is holding us back.
    I gotta disagree there on one point -- we can't get the ball to our inside guys near enough and it is because our guards keep shooting three attempts and are incapable of getting the ball inside the perimeter to the guys in the paint.

But I completely agree that it is guard play holding us back.

vCash

Yeah, except this year isnt over, and next year we have more talent coming to Norman than ever in the history of Oklahoma Basketball. I don't think many people realize how good Scottie Reynolds is. Just wait, you guys will see.
    Unfortunately, I think we need to wait on Scottie and Damion until the NCAA gets through with us in April. If we get nailed for a loss of postseason, it's going to be tough to keep these guys interested.

Also, do I think Kelvin will turn this team around? History says he will. Will they finish the regular season strong? Probably. Make the NCAA tournament? Also, probably.

But this was the team that had a chance to do it all. Maybe I believed the hype--in fact, I know I did. BUt this team had everything to go deep nationally. Thus far, they have been a big lemon.

Kelvin will probably turn it around. People will get interested again. The negatives will go away from most on this board...but probably not from me. My first post on the subject before NU game was "I do not prefer this style of basketball"....and I still won't regardless of the outcome of this season. My fear is that a rally from this team saves Kelvin's job again, and then we will repeat the process next year.

Kelvin's going to win games...no question. But our February rally to a March disaster is getting very very old.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CtheB
    Unfortunately, I think we need to wait on Scottie and Damion until the NCAA gets through with us in April. If we get nailed for a loss of postseason, it's going to be tough to keep these guys interested.
    Do you think they are going to be released from the LOI's they signed?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
    Do you think they are going to be released from the LOI's they signed?
    If we go on probation of any kind, they can request it from the NCAA and lose no eligibility.