Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

In 12 years of Basketball is this enough for OU?

1 Sweet 16
    1 Elite 8
    1 Final Four

Discuss.....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

Re: In 12 years of Basketball is this enough for OU?

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas
    1 Sweet 16
    1 Elite 8
    1 Final Four

Discuss.....
    As stated many times on this board by many participants, if you're happy competing in a tough conference and being an annual invitee to the Big Dance, Kelvin's your man.

I am just wondering how many people have lowered their expectations already to appease the sacred cow that is Kelvin Sampson. Now it seems that everyone would just be happy to make it to the tournament. All for a team everyone was very anxious to see this year, and had some lofty expectations.

Therein lies the answer to the question why no one cares to go watch them anymore at the LNC. Same song, ninth verse. The program has no life to it anymore.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Is it fair to leave out the Big XII conference and tournament championships?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg
    Is it fair to leave out the Big XII conference and tournament championships?
    No. What about being the Big 12's all-time winning coach?

vCash

I thought about adding them, but you are ultimately graded out by how you do in the tourney as a program.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

Add the one conference title, and the three tournament titles, and then ask yourself...is THAT enough in 12 years?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

I wonder if Duke has these discussions about their football coach every year?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Well, this just looks at Big XII history (the nine years leading up to this year), but it doesn't look too bad:

Regular Season:
    Kansas
    4 Big XII Titles
    8 Top Three Finishes

Oklahoma
    1 Big XII Title
    6 Top Three Finishes

Texas
    1 Big XII Title
    6 Top Three Finishes

Iowa State
    2 Big XII Titles
    2 Top Three Finishes

OSU
    1 Big XII Title
    3 Top Three Finishes

All-Time Big XII Conference Record (Regular Season)
    Kansas 118-26
    Oklahoma 100-44
    Texas 98-46
    Oklahoma State 95-49

(It looks like Texas has now pulled even with us.)

All-Time Big XII Tournament Record
    Oklahoma 17-6 (3 titles)
    Kansas 16-6 (3 titles)
    OSU 12-7 (2 titles)
    Missouri 12-9
    Texas 9-9

Yeah, Sampson's track record in the NCAA tournament is well-documented and, I'm sure even he'll admit, worse than it should be. But you can't question what he's been able to do in the Big XII. Only one team has a legit claim that they've done more--Big XII-wise--since the Big XII was formed.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

who cares about the darn big 12 if thats all you can achieve..
    5 years ago this program was one of the best in the country and should be able to achieve more than just an invite to the tourney. He has definately slipped.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

Well, I can't say that I'm 100% satisfied. I'm certainly disappointed that we don't have at least one NC and 1-2 more Final 4s. The overall mediocre record in the NCAA tourney in the last decade is frustrating.

On the other hand IF you are implying by the question that we should run KS out of town because he hasn't done enough then I'm not on that bandwagon. We've had some teams overachieve as well. If you are going to cite the best Billy Tubbs OU teams then you should probably note his last couple years. Plus this year Sampson has the best recruiting class OU has had, maybe ever,at least since the late 80's.

I'm not saying you are saying this but if some people think that if we run KS out of town that there is going to be a long line of great coaches just jumping to take a job where a coach can average about 23-24 wins a year with a Final 4 appearance, a league title and several league tourney titles in a good basketball conference, fan support is mediocre, but expectations are that you must meet or exceed this level that Coach K,Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun or Rick Pitino are going to jump to OU when they can go to another school that is in just a good of a conference and can be a hero by simply getting them to the NCAA then they aren't being realistic. Sure we could hire someone successful at a less prominant program or a top assistant from a big program but ask MU how Snyder is working out.

My one qualifier is the investigation into the improper phone calls. If it turns out to result in serious sanctions/probation then that does reflect back on Sampson. That would trump any disappointment over early tourney losses.

That aside, am I totally satisfied? No Has it been enough? Yes

Sooner All-World
    vCash

what about when this makes 2 out of the last three years that we miss the tourney..
    I say its time he goes.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

Still a lot of time left in the season to turn it around. No reason to be calling for NIT just yet guys. I'll have a better understanding of what this team is going to do once we get Neal back in the lineup.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NickZeppelin's Avatar
    vCash

Billy Tubbs in 14 years at OU.
    1 Final 4
    1 Elite 8
    1 Sweet 16
    He had a 71.6% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 4 times
    Average Score of the games during his career was 91-80

Kelvin Sampson
    1 Final 4
    1 Elite 8
    1 Sweet 16
    72% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 1 time
    Average score of the games during his career has been 75-65 so far.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    what about when this makes 2 out of the last three years that we miss the tourney..
    I say its time he goes.

Do you honestly think we will miss the tourney?

Right now being 0-2 in the big 12 would suggest that...but there is plenty of games left.

However, Sampson needs to do soemthing about this....If he goes from a top 6 team to a noninvite...he needs to be gone and OU needs to find a good replacement.

I am tired of having teams that can win a lot of games only to get beat in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAAs. It is time to determine...can Sampson take us to the next level, or are we just going to be a second teir team forever under him? If it is the latter, which he is proving every year...then it is time to get rid of him and wish him luck.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

I think there is a good chance he loses this team and they go in the tank. there isn't a leader on the floor to suggest otherwise.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    I think there is a good chance he loses this team and they go in the tank. there isn't a leader on the floor to suggest otherwise.

I agree and I believe we are witnessing it. However, to be optimestic(sp?) i sure hope someone steps up.

I know we are young at the guards, but this is ridiculous. OU was suppose to be a top 10 team...and right now, I do not even think we are an NIT team.

It is sad...I have enjoyed the success of Sampson, but he is like the Bill Snyder of Big 12 Basketball....continually has decent teams, may win the Big 12 once, but other than that, they are never going to win anything outside of the big 12.

It is either time to prove he can do better, or find someone that can....and dont take this as me being against Sampson, I think he is a good coach, but we just need a coach that will take it to the next level.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NickZeppelin's Avatar
    vCash

You guys do realize we are close to being 2-0 instead of 0-2. Atleast this isn't like the NIT year when we started the conference schedule 0-3 or something like that and none of the games were close.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Nick. please dont

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

There may not be "a leader on the floor" as you're saying, but our best player is a post player, and that's always a more stabilizing factor for a team than if our best player was a guard. I think we're a Tourney Team, but we may not make it past the first round if we don't learn how to both attack a zone and play a better one ourselves...

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NickZeppelin
    Billy Tubbs in 14 years at OU.
    1 Final 4
    1 Elite 8
    1 Sweet 16
    He had a 71.6% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 4 times
    Average Score of the games during his career was 91-80

Kelvin Sampson
    1 Final 4
    1 Elite 8
    1 Sweet 16
    72% win percentage. Missed the NCAA Tourney 1 time
    Average score of the games during his career has been 75-65 so far.
    I think Billy went:

1 Final 4
    1 Elite 8
    2 Sweet 16

but great point.