Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Question Flying Helicopters

Anybody here do it or no anybody who does?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Flying Helicopters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag
    Anybody here do it or no anybody who does?
    My uncle (in law?) was a helicopter pilot in the NY Army National Guard. He recently transferred to a non-aviation unit closer to home. I've always wanted to get a helicopter add-on to my airplane certificate. Maybe someday when I've got $10,000 to burn.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

I've been looking really hard to make a career change. They've been playing commercials on the radio here for a commercial helicopter flight school so I was just wondering what it would actually be like, would it be worth it, etc. The school's website says future career opportunites are expected to skyrocket and the money sounds really good. The pricetag on the training sounds a little overwhelming though ($64,000).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member fadada1's Avatar
    vCash

one of our members here at the club is a chopper pilot. does the medivac stuff. flew in vietnam as well... was shot at a few times. said it wasn't very fun. who knew.

seems to really enjoy what he's doing now (as opposed to nam).
    I don’t know if the block on that last one was due to low trajectory or if the guys up front didn’t hold their ground well enough. I’m not convinced it matters. We have every reason to believe the ball could have gone through the uprights and the refs would have signaled first down Oregon. - D.E.

vCash

I've been looking really hard to make a career change. They've been playing commercials on the radio here for a commercial helicopter flight school so I was just wondering what it would actually be like, would it be worth it, etc. The school's website says future career opportunites are expected to skyrocket and the money sounds really good. The pricetag on the training sounds a little overwhelming though ($64,000).
    $64,000! Yikes! Does that take you through an instructor certificate or just commerical? It seems like the major industry for helicopter pilots (other than the Army) is offshore oil platforms. Not many of those in Arizona. So, on a smaller scale you've got EMS, law enforcement, charter/transportation, and flight instruction. There's a homebuilt helicopter manufacturer in Mesa (Rotorway) that would need demonstrator pilots and the like.

Aviation is a growing field overall, despite the troubles with the major passenger airlines.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt
    $64,000! Yikes! Does that take you through an instructor certificate or just commerical? It seems like the major industry for helicopter pilots (other than the Army) is offshore oil platforms. Not many of those in Arizona. So, on a smaller scale you've got EMS, law enforcement, charter/transportation, and flight instruction. There's a homebuilt helicopter manufacturer in Mesa (Rotorway) that would need demonstrator pilots and the like.

Aviation is a growing field overall, despite the troubles with the major passenger airlines.

Silver State Helicopters’ Professional Pilot Instructor Program:
    Private License Included
    Commercial License Included
    Certified Flight Instructor Rating Included
    Instrument Rating Included
    External Load Training Included
    Books and Materials Included
    Total: $64,900.00

http://www.silverstatehelicopters.co...ht_program.htm

The freaky thing, at least to me, was that after you finish all your training you don't have enough flight time to get a real job so they hire you as a flight instructor.

vCash

The freaky thing, at least to me, was that after you finish all your training you don't have enough flight time to get a real job so they hire you as a flight instructor.
    Yep, the irony of aviation--flight instruction is an entry-level position.

Read the fine print. It probably won't be full time if they do hire you, and even full-time flight instructors just about qualify for food stamps. At least in the fixed-wing world--maybe helicopters are different. Aviation is an employer's market because most pilots would jump at a chance to fly for free, much less actually getting paid to do it.

In arizona, I would imagine that the grand canyon helicopter tours pay well. I think we payed $75 each for a 30 minute tour.

Brewmaster

vCash

I used to know a professor at OU who was a helicopter pilot and former Marine sniper, from what I understand. He turned down a job offer to fly helicopters back and forth to the oil rigs out of New Orleans to work at OU. But he got a better job at USC starting this year.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beano's Fourth Chin
    In arizona, I would imagine that the grand canyon helicopter tours pay well. I think we payed $75 each for a 30 minute tour.
    How many customers per flight? A turbine helicopter is going to cost north of $500/hour to operate, not including fixed costs like debt service and insurance, and unexpected maintenance costs.

Administrator
    vCash

What a lazy ***. You're supposed to walk down in the canyon, not fly over it. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    What a lazy ***. You're supposed to walk down in the canyon, not fly over it. Geez.
    What do you mean lazy? It was pedal powered. My legs still burn.

How many customers per flight? A turbine helicopter is going to cost north of $500/hour to operate, not including fixed costs like debt service and insurance, and unexpected maintenance costs.
    You are so full of crap. Those helicopters cost anywhere from 235-300 per hour in 2006 dollars to run. This was about 8 years ago, so you can reduce that amount by 35.2 percent to get the actual figures at the time. They're making a hefty profit, believe me.

vCash

Yep, the irony of aviation--flight instruction is an entry-level position.

Read the fine print. It probably won't be full time if they do hire you, and even full-time flight instructors just about qualify for food stamps. At least in the fixed-wing world--maybe helicopters are different. Aviation is an employer's market because most pilots would jump at a chance to fly for free, much less actually getting paid to do it.

They're having a seminar tonight so I'm gonna check it out.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

Don't. Do. It.

The US Army puts out 3,000 fully trained helo-pilots a year. After serving a stint in the Army these "20 something's" have 8 bajillion hours and more experience than you off the street through flight school will ever get. The helicopter industry is an absolutely saturated market with Army guys. Now that being said, it is possible to do it this way and $64G's doesn't seem too out of wack for everything they're offering you. Just remember everything they says is to get you into their school and forking over the money.

Now, keep in mind what's out there else wise. If you serious about changing your career and assuming you aren't already a commercial pilot take a look at what ATP Academy offers.

vCash

I envision quite a few helicopters flying around the Mexican border as well under government contract.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

You are so full of crap. Those helicopters cost anywhere from 235-300 per hour in 2006 dollars to run. This was about 8 years ago, so you can reduce that amount by 35.2 percent to get the actual figures at the time. They're making a hefty profit, believe me.

That's why I routinley see "Helicopter Flight Tours" in Fortune 500 magazines. I bet most flight tour places operate on budgets of <5% profits.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KABOOKIE
    Don't. Do. It.

The US Army puts out 3,000 fully trained helo-pilots a year. After serving a stint in the Army these "20 something's" have 8 bajillion hours and more experience than you off the street through flight school will ever get. The helicopter industry is an absolutely saturated market with Army guys. Now that being said, it is possible to do it this way and $64G's doesn't seem too out of wack for everything they're offering you. Just remember everything they says is to get you into their school and forking over the money.

Now, keep in mind what's out there else wise. If you serious about changing your career and assuming you aren't already a commercial pilot take a look at what ATP Academy offers.

That's kind of what I was thinking. That's also the reason I posted this, just wondering if everything I read was just propaganda or if there was some truth to it. It's a pretty huge investment so I'm not going to rush into it.

What's the ATP Academy?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

Beanowned!!!!!!!
    Helicopter Costs
    These figures are from a 2000 Field Research Corporation survey.
    Updates and information on additional helicopters are welcome.

Helicopter Seats Price Operating Cost
    (hourly) Power (HP)
    Bell B206B-3 5 $791,000 $280 420
    Enstrom F280FX 3 $300,000 $150 225
    Enstrom 480B 5 $625,000 $240 305
    Eurocopter EC120 5 $1,037,000 $320 504
    McDonnell-Douglas MD520N 5 $996,000 $300 425
    Robinson R-44 4 $325,000 $160 225
    Schweizer 300C 3 $254,000 $143 190
    Schweizer 330SP 4 $573,000 $240 235
    facts and figures from http://www.rotorshop.com/helocosts.html
    one day

vCash

You are so full of crap. Those helicopters cost anywhere from 235-300 per hour in 2006 dollars to run.
    That's only a little more than flying a piston twin airplane, and turbines are more expensive than pistons and helicopters are a lot more expensive than airplanes if you include maintenance costs. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious about where you got those numbers.