Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

Does this surprise anyone?

This is a typical Kelvin team.

Seems to me that they always start the year over rated.
    They build throughout the year.
    Sometime during the year they have a losing streak (hopefully we're watching it)
    By the time conference play is over, we look back and realize that it's been a pretty good year.
    The team peaks in the conference tourney.
    They underachieve in the big dance (with the exception of a few years)

Along the way, there are invariably people who:
    1) Call for Kelvin's head
    2) Bitch about the style of basketball
    3) Bitch about the players

At the end of the day, Kelvin is a good/great coach and teacher who believes in a boring style of play. I can live with that, as long as the infractions we're hearing about stop.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Does this surprise anyone?

i generally agree, but we usually need some kind of weird, improbable win at KSU to turn it around. and i think we play them here this year. DAMN Big XII.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

They're just switching it up this year. Instead of getting our hopes up early in conf. play just to have them come crashing down in late Jan-early Feb, they're starting off terribly to keep the expectations low.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AllAboutThe'O''s Avatar
    There she is, and I hope she's living where I is.
    vCash

At least when we get punked by the likes of Texas and Kansas, it won't be as big a letdown as normal.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 kelloggOUballa's Avatar
    The University of Oklahoma: Norman, Oklahoma
    vCash

Michael Neal is the heart of this team
    TAKE IT BACK

'50 '55 '56 '74 '75 '85 '00

March 8, 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r View Post
    Or... at least 7 -5 and have us go to..

now...

which bowl game did you go to this past year?...

and...

was it even televised?
    Epic.

vCash

The mid-season slump happens every year. Hopefully this year, without a point gaurd, we can rebound and finish strong.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

I'm confident that we will improve and by the end of the year we will be a much better team but I'm also really concerned because we basically gave away 2 games to mediocre teams. We have a lot of work at this point just to be an NCAA tourney team, let alone a team that goes anywhere in the tourney.

This is in some ways like 2 years ago. A couple years ago with Bookout hurt we had no inside game so teams could defend us outside in and take away the 3-pointer. We had some decent shooters but they couldn't get open. This year we have a great 1-2 punch inside and we get all kinds of looks outside but often players don't even look to take the shot and even when open we don't shoot that well (Neal being the exception). Numbers of healthy players aside if I had to choose one or the other I'd rather be a team with good guards and a mediocre inside game than the other way around. Neal getting healthy and getting back in the game will help but Godbold, Everett and Johnson are going to have to step it up and knock down more outside shots or we will not improve enough.

Ironically it sounds like we will have a sharpshooter on campus next yeat in Reynolds, as well as some other big time talent but we lose Gray and Bookout.

Losing at Neb is disappointing but not shocking. Losing at home to an MU team that hasn't been able to beat anyone on the road is.

As an OU fan living in Missouri, this "double-sucks". As much as I don't like losing to OSU or Texas, I don't have to hear about it all the time like I will when OU loses to MU.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

you guys are silly.
    this team is done
    and if he is such a great teacher of the game why are we seeing the same mistake over and over and over and over.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

I'm as frustrated as anyone but I'm not ready to throw in the towel after two conference games. We lost 4 conference games in a row at one point last year and were still conference champs.

I would like to petition the NCAA to let Scotty Reynolds start playing now. We need a shooter like Robert Allen wants a donut.

vCash

THis is one of Kelvins most underachieving teams evar.
    My kids rock the flock!

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Turnovers are what's killing this team right now. Kelvin's teams never light it up anyway, and the D has vastly improved in the past couple games. However, they aren't good enough to turn in over 14 times a game and win! If they can quit throwing the ball away, this team will be a tough draw in the post-season.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Turnovers, guard play, seeing same mistakes over and over again. Kelvin's insistence of putting the ball in Everett's hands has and will continue to send this team in a downward spiral. They need a point guard, which Everett is not. Way too careless with the ball. Any other player Kelvin would have benched. Why? Taylor Griffen makes very good decisions but seems to ride the pine. Hopefully the "system" doesn't ruin him. Very frustrating to watch. I'm not even sure what offense we're running. We seem to let the shot clock run down and throw up a prayer more times than not. The OU women seem to know how to get the ball inside, double teams or not.

With that said, this team has way too much talent not to make a run, but it may be too late if coach doesn't teach the guards what to do with the ball very soon.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

hopefully this is the losing streak and hopefully it doesn't last all conference season like two years ago...luckily I wasn't in the state for that season, but I'm at all the games for this season, so it sucks (and we were actually supposed to be good as well).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NickZeppelin's Avatar
    vCash

Typical Kelvin teams play good at the guards and win close games. Last few years we haven't had good guard play.

vCash

This team couldn't shoot there wads.
    My kids rock the flock!

Sooner All-World
    vCash

yeah, but could they shoot their wads?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    yeah, but could they shoot their wads?

neither/or
    My kids rock the flock!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUAndy1807
    This is a typical Kelvin team.

At the end of the day, Kelvin is a good/great coach and teacher who believes in a boring style of play. I can live with that, as long as the infractions we're hearing about stop.
    You say an underachieving team is typical and that Kelvin is a good/great coach. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it? If he were such a great teacher wouldn't he be someone who motivated his players to excel? Also you can teach offense just as much as you teach that stupid drill with a lid on the basket.

Honestly I couldn't give a damn about infractions because the NCAA is going to nit pick the stupidest BS. So win and I'll be happy.

vCash

The problem with this team is they can't shoot the ball or play good defense.
    My kids rock the flock!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBnds
    You say an underachieving team is typical and that Kelvin is a good/great coach. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it? If he were such a great teacher wouldn't he be someone who motivated his players to excel? Also you can teach offense just as much as you teach that stupid drill with a lid on the basket.

Honestly I couldn't give a damn about infractions because the NCAA is going to nit pick the stupidest BS. So win and I'll be happy.
    Nice how you leave out the middle of my post where I explain what I mean.