Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner Spectator Editor Jay C. Upchurch's Avatar
    vCash

Home court advantage?

There were 5,000 empty seats at OU's Big 12 Conference opener tonight. About 1,000 of the 6,500 in attendance actually cheered during the first 35 minutes of action.

The only time all night the LNC got loud was the final three minutes.

No excuse for the Sooners to get beat. They just didn't shoot well from the perimeter or block out on the defensive boards in the second half.

But I would say OU played about as well as its fans cheered tonight.

It's sad when you can't even say your home court gives you an edge.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NickZeppelin's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Home court advantage?

I can't believe our fans have given up on our team like this.

You can stand on it SeattleOUstudent's Avatar
    vCash

insert comments about non-existant student section or alums setting on their hands here

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

This team sucks! The coaching sucks! It's time for Sampson to take one of those jobs he used to show interest in after every season. I don't want to hear about his great record at OU either...smoke and mirrors! Tonight was as bad as the NU game. Oh well, MAYBE we still have a shot at an invite to the NIT.

vCash

I don't care about how much our team sucks. GET BEHIND THE TEAM!

The Hornets are a bad team but the fans in that Ford Center and loud and proud of it and get behind it 100% When you have fans get behind your team then you will play better at home and get more confidence for your road games too because of the way you play at home. I can't believe how bad the fans were tonight. We shouldn't even play games in Norman anymore if our fans don't care like they didn't care tonight. I'm ashamed to be a Sooner fan after going to that game tonight.

Students are still on break although I know a number of in-state students who went to the game tonight.

Sure it was a weekday, but what excuse do the season ticket holders have for not showing up against a former Big 8 rival like Mizzou?

vCash

I just can't believe our fans just didn't care to show up for a conference game that was HUGE. If you couldn't show up sell your tickets to a Sooner fan you know that could. I'm sure everyone has one here.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IronSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Being over break should mean freshmen can't go to the game. At OU everybody moves out of the dorms as sophomores and gets an apartment. Therefore you can go back whenever you want. Not to mention most kids at OU are from OK or north TX. It's just not that hard to make a game people.

I still think they should quit having games at LNC. Take the X-hundred real fans and relocate everybody to the fieldhouse over by the stadium. At least then it'd be loud and it wouldn't look so pathetic when the camera pans around the stadium and nobody's there.

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NickZeppelin
    We shouldn't even play games in Norman anymore if our fans don't care like they didn't care tonight. I'm ashamed to be a Sooner fan after going to that game tonight.
    As I was watching the game, what little crowd noise I did hear mostly sounded like people yelling because someone told them that's what you're supposed to do. There wasn't anything behind it, though.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

The Hornets are a bad team but the fans in that Ford Center and loud and proud of it and get behind it 100% When you have fans get behind your team then you will play better at home and get more confidence for your road games too because of the way you play at home. I can't believe how bad the fans were tonight. We shouldn't even play games in Norman anymore if our fans don't care like they didn't care tonight. I'm ashamed to be a Sooner fan after going to that game tonight.
    Part of it is the NBA style of basketball versus Kelvin's style of basketball. With the NBA product, even if the Hornets are getting beat down, you're going to see teams run the floor a little bit. With Kelvin, you're gonna see rugby with dribbling.

The other part is that Joe Castiglione is a marketing idiot. He wouldn't know fan atmosphere if it slapped him across his face. Every time the crowd gets into it, he'll swoop in with a scripted advertisement for Bank of Oklahoma and kill all that activity quick, fast, and in a hurry.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

vCash

I don't care if you don't like the style. It's still basketball. You need to be loud and get this team fired up and they'll play better. Basketball is so much a game you need emotion to play with. If you play flat you'll never be that good at it. Our crowd tonight was flatter then the players were. I liked the effort I saw from our players. Our crowd just didn't even try to encourage our players and were completely quiet at times. It's really remarkable how bad it is.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

If your ashamed to be a Sooner for the love of God please quit posting your crap on this board. You've posted your picture and you've obviously never played anything more than organized dungeons and dragons. So please go be ashamed somewhere else

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

I don't care if you don't like the style. It's still basketball. You need to be loud and get this team fired up and they'll play better. Basketball is so much a game you need emotion to play with. If you play flat you'll never be that good at it. Our crowd tonight was flatter then the players were. I liked the effort I saw from our players. I liked the fight in this team. I liked the resolve. This was a... a setback. This is not what we wanted. It isn't what we planned. Our crowd just didn't even try to encourage our players and were completely quiet at times. It's really remarkable how bad it is.
    Fixed.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

why does the lack of fan support for OU basketball surprise anyone? In the 8 years that I've been a season ticket holder, I can't think of one game (besides UConn, Texas or osu) that has been even close to capacity. The turnout tonight was actually much better than most, with an estimated attendance of 7,518 according to the post game stats.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

the NBA isn't a "style" it's a 24 second shot clock and a means to produce scoring in the same way commercials are designed to sell products. the game on the floor is hardly where the money is made in pro sports.

JMO.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AllAboutThe'O''s Avatar
    There she is, and I hope she's living where I is.
    vCash

Scheduling a home game on a night when there's plenty of high school games across the area and state doesn't help matters, either.

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    the NBA isn't a "style" it's a 24 second shot clock and a means to produce scoring in the same way commercials are designed to sell products. the game on the floor is hardly where the money is made in pro sports.

JMO.
    I have a worrying observation. (Worrying to me, anyway.) Given the difference between Kelvin's style of basketball and the game in the NBA right now, why would any kid that knows he could be an NBA-caliber player even sniff coming to play at Oklahoma? I can't remember the last time I saw an NBA game where the teams combined to score less than 150 points. Given that, I think the talent level Kelvin will be able to get on campus might continue to drop.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IronSooner's Avatar
    vCash

We haven't exactly had a history of putting guys in the NBA in the last bunch of years either, I'm sure that doesn't help. Najera aside, who else has really made it from a Kelvin team?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUAndy1807
    why does the lack of fan support for OU basketball surprise anyone? In the 8 years that I've been a season ticket holder, I can't think of one game (besides UConn, Texas or osu) that has been even close to capacity. The turnout tonight was actually much better than most, with an estimated attendance of 7,518 according to the post game stats.
    Did they start scanning tickets at basketball games? The old estimations used to just say something like "6,500".

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTXHorn
    Did they start scanning tickets at basketball games? The old estimations used to just say something like "6,500".
    Yes.