SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I grew up a little more today

Here's the dealio.

I'm sitting in this firearms training class and this guy's flippin' cell phone keeps ringing. Each time, he dutifully gets up and goes out in the hall to take the call. I'm p1ssed that a) he won't put it on "vibrate" and therefore spare us his cheezy ringtone and b) each time he gets called, he has to get out of the row of seats past me to take the call.

On a break, we're standing around and he casually mentions how single parenting is tough. I kinda mumble something like "yeah, I bet," kinda half meaning it while still being irritated at the guy.

He replies and then tells me how his wife of 25 years died of a massive stroke at age 40 just four months ago and his 14 and 16 y/o kids are still adjusting. The calls were from them over typical "can I go to...?" or "what is there to eat?" stuff. In short, typical kid-crap.

He then shared that this was the first thing he'd done "for himself" since he lost his wife.

I felt like a schmuck for being p1ssed about the phone calls.

That is all.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Okieflyer's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I grew up a little more today

Hang in there. I guess we're finding out a bit of what our parents went through.

vCash

that's tough.

how'd ya shot?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member VeeJay's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey

He replies and then tells me how his wife of 25 years died of a massive stroke at age 40 just four months ago
    That is all.
    He married his wife when she was 15?

Wow.
    Posse resident guru on police brutality, Lady Gaga and lawnmower repair parts

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fish
    that's tough.

how'd ya shot?
    They don't score anything Fish. They're just making sure you aren't a foolio with a gun. It's mainly about teaching folks do's and don'ts about concealed carry in Oklahoma.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Sad story.

Nice catch, VJ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    He married his wife when she was 15?

Wow.
    I meant 45 y/o wife of 20 years. So shoot me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    I meant 45 y/o wife of 20 years. So shoot me.
    No! you can shoot back