Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The GREATEST RIVALRY in College Football

Folks...there is not even room to argue. The RED RIVER RIVALRY is THE best Rivalry in all of College Football. PERIOD. Which other schools have to meet in a neutral location? But more importantly...

NAME A RIVALRY that has been more successful than OU and UT in this Decade? Ponder these Facts...

-Texas has not lost to anyone other than Oklahoma since 2003
    -Oklahoma has won more games than any school since 1950 (473), with Texas at 4th with (450)

Years that Either Texas or OU was the National Champion According to any Agency (this will show you how Bama claims sooo many titles)
    UT: 1941,1963,1968,1969,1970,1977,1981,2006
    OU: 1949,1950,1953,1955,1956,1957,1967,1973,1974,1975, 1978,1980,1985,1986,2000,2003

NOW, many many say Alabama this, Auburn that, OSU/Michigan...

BUT RIGHT NOW..the Red River Rivalry is the best, most successful rivalry in College Football!

Records Since 2000...
    Texas OU
    2003 10-3 12-2
    2004 11-1 12-1
    2005 13-0 8-4

That is Awesome....

Also these 2 teams have played in

2 Orange Bowls
    3 Rose Bowls
    1 Sugar Bowl
    4 Holiday Bowls
    2 Cotton Bowls

Won 2 National Championships,4 Conference Championships

Great Programs that have felt the wrath of the Red River Rivalry???

Michigan
    Arkansas
    USC
    Ohio State
    Florida State
    Nebraska
    LSU
    Oregon
    Alabama
    UCLA....

And my final reason is...

The Winner of 4 of the last 6 RRS's played for the NC. Including the last 3 games. We are the greatest rivalry.
    Last edited by RooseveltRoughRider; 1/12/2006 at 09:31 AM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The GREATEST RIVALRY in College Football

9-4?

Formerly OregonSooner PDXsooner's Avatar
    vCash

tell me how exactly we have some claim to the 2003 title?

Formerly OregonSooner PDXsooner's Avatar
    vCash

arkansas and UCLA are great programs?

Well, it should be 10-3

Berryman chose Oklahoma as 2003's National Champion. I got it off the NCAA Website http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I'm lookin forward for this Oct RRS. Should be a hell of a game.

It’s relative. ESPN judges rivalries by revenue, not the success of the teams.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I was watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they did a piece on a photographer who takes pictures for a magazine. He was taking pics of the OU/ TU game and the reporter called it the greatest rivalry.

When Gumbel is wrapping up the story with the reporter at the end he says "you really don't think that is the greatest rivalry, do you?" he then proceeds to list cal/ stanford and arizona/ asu and some others.

if he really thinks those are as good as the RRS then he doesn't know anything about college football.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jps
    I was watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they did a piece on a photographer who takes pictures for a magazine. He was taking pics of the OU/ TU game and the reporter called it the greatest rivalry.

When Gumbel is wrapping up the story with the reporter at the end he says "you really don't think that is the greatest rivalry, do you?" he then proceeds to list cal/ stanford and arizona/ asu and some others.

if he really thinks those are as good as the RRS then he doesn't know anything about college football.
    They don't get it cuz they have never been to the RRS

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SelmaBamaFan's Avatar
    Selma, AL - Where Hurricanes cross paths... too
    vCash

I tend to judge rivalries on the hate factor. Maybe its just my way of putting the Iron Bowl on top, because I dont think two teams hate each other more than Bama and Auburn.
    The color Orange is just Crimson, with a whole lot of yellow in it

Quote Originally Posted by OUDizzle
    It’s relative. ESPN judges rivalries by revenue, not the success of the teams.
    Well we all know ESPN's credibility is shot..

but even Revenue-wise, is there another rivalry that has as much activities going on as the RRS? You got the Texas State Fair right next to the game with thousands of people, all kinds of Alumni events goin on in Dallas..I can't think of one that has been more meaningful or exciting in the last 10 years for sure.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

and only two more years before it goes home and home....

and 8 decades of tradition

will be lost.

In Pacem Requiescat --- October 5, 2003 - October 18, 2010.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
    and only two more years before it goes home and home....

and 8 decades of tradition

will be lost.
    That really ****es me off.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

I saw that too, i about sh*t...he also was like "oregon/oregon st....oklahoma state/tulsa.." ok that last one was made up.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 The Consumate Showman's Avatar
    in the backfield with "indian" jack jacobs
    vCash

I'm partial to Davis v. Sulphur, Maud v. Konawa
    I have too much sympathy for myself to feel any for you......

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Just to jump in here, I saw that as well, made Gumbel sound and look like more of an idiot than we already knew he was. I tell you, how in the hell some of these people get some of these jobs is beyond me. There are only a few rivalries that can even be mentioned in the same breath as UT/OU.

FSU/Miami - Only because in the past 20 years, there has been so much on the line for both teams.

Ohio State/Michigan - Only because it usually decides the Big 10 winner, and these programs have great tradition.

Georgia/Florida - Huge state pride for both schools, not to mention confrence championship hopes, and its a split 50/50 crowd partying non-stop.

Alabama/Auburn - Just the sheer hatred involved.

Oklahoma/Nebraska - Prior to the big 12, this one would be right up there with the all timers, so much on the line for the winner, almost always both teams would be ranked, often, very highly ranked.

OU/Texas of the last 5,6 years is probably the top choice due to the Championships won by the winner. The game is meaningful, prideful, hateful and the history involved is classic. Peace out!

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

lemme ask a naive question here: do sooner fans root for Texas in bowl games, for Big 12 bragging rights (and VV??)

I'll admit to rooting for UM over ND, and in the occasional bowl game.
    (Although its hard not to laugh when a discounted team like Nebraska takes them out)

cheers,
    camster

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

outside the moronic trolls in this thread, it should be noted that much of the original post was edited by the original poster.

vCash

the more important question is: how old is jeff sagarin? he's got to be close to 100 by now, having picked tennessee in 1938 and all.