Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Octavian's Avatar
    vCash

Boomer Sooner! Team of the Decade: Out of Reach?

As of 2005 obviously the frontrunner is SUC. They have more accomplishments than I care to speak of and the OB win over us. Can OU, with 4 seasons left in the 00 decade, make up the ground and overcome (or at least break even) with SUC??

Stassen's W/L rankings thru 04:
    http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/...=on&by=Win+Pct

There are still four complete seasons left to play. Obviously we need another MNC (maybe 2 if SUC wins again), and return to whipping Texas annually.

Has SUC already accomplished too much for OU to overcome? What about Miami? Texas?

Can OU still be the Team of the Decade?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Boffingham's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Team of the Decade: Out of Reach?

yes...more statistics. I love it.
    I'm an underachiever, not an idiot

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

We're up there and still have four more years left in the decade. It's not out of reach.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Boomer Sooner! Re: Team of the Decade: Out of Reach?

Guys, there are FIVE years left in the decade. There was NO year Zero. You didn't start counting with "0" in K'garten. Soooooo, we are 4-1 v. the (Wh)orns in this decade, not 5-1, and our most recent MNC came in the previous decade. Fact!
    Most oriental cultures consider a child to be "One" at birth, BTW, rather than after 12 months.
    So solly.

LF
    Philosophy done cheap.

At the registration page taking my new name Readyfor9
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalFan
    Guys, there are FIVE years left in the decade. There was NO year Zero. You didn't start counting with "0" in K'garten. Soooooo, we are 4-1 v. the (Wh)orns in this decade, not 5-1, and our most recent MNC came in the previous decade. Fact!
    Most oriental cultures consider a child to be "One" at birth, BTW, rather than after 12 months.
    So solly.

LF
    Philosophy done cheap.

While that would be true if we were calling it the 200th decade (it would actually be the 201st), he is calling this decade the 2000's. So just like when you are 19 you are still a teenager, when you are 20 you are in your twenties.

You wouldn't call someone who turned 30 years old in their twenties would you? The Millenium technically started in 2001, but the 2000's started on January 1st, 2000.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Readyfor8
    While that would be true if we were calling it the 200th decade (it would actually be the 201st), he is calling this decade the 2000's. So just like when you are 19 you are still a teenager, when you are 20 you are in your twenties.

You wouldn't call someone who turned 30 years old in their twenties would you? The Millenium technically started in 2001, but the 2000's started on January 1st, 2000.
    Yep!

Loyal,
    So I guess that first year up until a kid's first birthday doesn't count, right?
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

We won the national championship on January 3, 2001 anyways.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

I do believe this thread has been officially hijacked.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 FirstandGoal's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruuuuuufus
    We won the national championship on January 3, 2001 anyways.

I was about to make this same point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Also, we're pretty dumb and like boobies a lot.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Who cares about them? I just want to win for OU's benefit. Comparing with USC is pointless.

OU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> t-shirt fans
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalFan
    So solly.

LF
    Philosophy done cheap.
    Thanks for adding to the conversation with such deep "philosophy" I asked about OU and the Team of the Decade and you wound up thinking about Chinese New Years and g0damN kindergarten. Again, thanks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride
    Who cares about them? I just want to win for OU's benefit. Comparing with USC is pointless.

OU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> t-shirt fans
    I tend to agree with this to a certain degree. I just think part of the unique nature and fun of CFB is the potential for historical disagreements that don't pop up nearly as much in other sports. Who was the team of the decade in the 50s? OU. 60s? Alabama, Texas? 70s: OU, Bama, SUC? 80s: Canes. 90s: Nebbish, FSU? Just wondering what you all thought about this decade and the prospects for OU for the rest of it. I never thought for a second our fans weren't as good as USC's nor wass I was simply trying to make it a SUC vs. OU thread. With a thread like this I guess its pretty apparent the offseason is near and my mind is wandering...Oh well...let's continue with the Chinese firedrill

vCash

bump...kinda a slow day

It's too early in the decade to tell...but the early front runners look line, in no particular order, Ohio St., Texas, Miami,OU, USC...but a strong next 4 years by anyone, even someone who is not on here could do it. Like right now if say..ohhh....CLEMSON (lol) won the MNC the next 4 years then they would be the team of the decade. It's too early to tell. Personally, I think whoever dmoniates the BIG 12 will be.

vCash

well, if USC loses the players it looks like they are losing, they might be in for a rebuilding year

so far in the 2000's our average season is slightly better than 11-2, i think out win pct is still the highest, especially with Boise St dropping a few this year

even with Texas going undefeated they still have the same number of losses as us, and less wins

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    even with Texas going undefeated they still have the same number of losses as us, and less wins
    Yeah, they'd need to shore up that 1-5 head-to-head record too.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian
    I tend to agree with this to a certain degree. I just think part of the unique nature and fun of CFB is the potential for historical disagreements that don't pop up nearly as much in other sports. Who was the team of the decade in the 50s? OU. 60s? Alabama, Texas? 70s: OU, Bama, SUC? 80s: Canes. 90s: Nebbish, FSU? Just wondering what you all thought about this decade and the prospects for OU for the rest of it. I never thought for a second our fans weren't as good as USC's nor wass I was simply trying to make it a SUC vs. OU thread. With a thread like this I guess its pretty apparent the offseason is near and my mind is wandering...Oh well...let's continue with the Chinese firedrill
    I'm not saying comparisons are silly, I'm saying comparisons with USC are silly. It's like saying "BOOYA!" to Akron. They don't have enough of a fanbase for me to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Readyfor8

pwned

The RED RIVER SHOOTOUT is the key to this decade.... Since 2000

Oklahoma (68-11) 1 National Title
    Texas (65-11) 1 National Title
    Miami (64-10) 1 National Title
    USC (59-16) 1 National Title
    LSU (59-17) 1 National Title
    tOSU (58-17) 1 National Title

So far OU IS the team of the decade with TX and Miami close behind.
    It's neat how the top 3 almost have identical records and so do the next 3...

USC got way more hype than necessary. Dynasty my ***. There has been a different NC each year this decade.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

C'mon. Decade is barely half over. Any team in the nation could become the "team of the decade" at this point. This reminds me of the USC v. Best Teams Evar on ESPN.