Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

Bobby and the Red Raiders routed...

Syracuse 81
    Texas Tech 46

Tech was only a couple spots out of being in the AP top 25 last week.

Syracuse dominates Texas Tech, wins easily

NEW YORK (AP) -- You would think Jim Boeheim would want to sit around and enjoy talking about his team winning by 35 points.

"This game is a game you just forget about," the Syracuse coach said after the 16th-ranked Orange used a big run in each half to run away to an 81-46 victory over Texas Tech on Thursday night in the semifinals of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.

"When a team can't put the ball in the basket against you, it is just a matter of time before a game is out of control," he said. "We try to make this a complicated game but even my 5-year-old knows that you just have to put the ball in the basket. We are nowhere that good and they are nowhere that bad."

Texas Tech really struggled putting the ball in the basket. The Red Raiders missed their first 12 shots and 16 of their first 17 in falling behind 20-4.

"Sometimes there is a turning point in a game," Texas Tech coach Bob Knight said. "This game was over in the first five minutes."

The defending champion Orange (3-0) will play Florida in the championship game Friday night at Madison Square Garden. The Gators advanced with a 77-72 victory over Wake Forest in the other semifinal.

The matchup of two of the winningest coaches in college basketball history was never much of a game. Boeheim got his 706th career win and improved his record against Knight to 4-1, although Knight's lone win was in the 1987 national championship game when he was with Indiana. Knight has 856 victories.

Gerry McNamara had 12 points and nine assists for Syracuse, which had six players with at least eight points.

"We expect that," he said of the balanced scoring. "All the guys have to step up and they did tonight."

Demetris Nichols hit a 3-pointer just before the halftime buzzer to give Syracuse a 34-22 lead.

Dior Lowhorn scored to bring Texas Tech (2-1) within 42-28 with 17:08 to play, and then the Orange went on a 21-3 run to take a 63-31 lead with 9:13 to go.

In that span, the Red Raiders committed eight turnovers against the 2-3 zone and Knight called two timeouts and there was also a TV timeout. None of the talking on the bench helped. Syracuse led by as many as 39 points -- 75-36 with 5:15 left.

"Our defense was good and active tonight," said Boeheim, who celebrated his 61st birthday. "It boiled down to they couldn't make any shots and it just got away from them."

Knight's worst loss in his four-plus seasons at Texas Tech was 90-50 to Kansas on March 9, 2002, his first season there.

"Syracuse is really good," Knight said. "They play the zone, as I have said, the best I have ever seen. I don't think our kids could elevate themselves in their own thinking to how good a team they were going to be playing.

"We just have a lot of work we have to do and a lot of figuring out we have to do to come up with something to be competitive," he said.

Nichols and Eric Devendorf each had 11 points for the Orange, while Louie McCroskey had 10. Syracuse shot 51.6 percent from the field (33-for-64), including 8-for-25 from 3-point range. The Orange were a combined 7-for-35 from beyond the arc in their first two games with McNamara going 1-for-14. He was 3-for-7 against Texas Tech.

"I should have hit 70 percent tonight I felt so good," McNamara said. "I'm not worried. I know they're going in eventually."

Lowhorn had 11 points for the Red Raiders, who finished 17-for-59 from the field (28.8 percent) and committed 18 turnovers, 11 in the second half.

Boeheim was impressed with Florida.

"I think Florida is better than I have seen them in a long time," he said. "That is why we play in these tournaments. These tournaments are great early in the year to get a feel for things."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Bobby and the Red Raiders routed...

Then they come back and take #18 Wake to double OT.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Tech got waxed by Iowa and New Mexico last year and made the sweet 16.

what blue said, too.

T Tech don't shoot it so good right now.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerbub's Avatar
    vCash

Syracuse always has the best 2-3 zone in the country bar none (ask Hollis and Q). That game was the best straight zone defense I have ever seen. Tech had absolutely no passing lanes--they couldn't even skip the ball or quick reverse.

A team that is primarily a motion team will always struggle with zones early in the year because most practice time is spent on motion vs mtm.

What a great night to spend in NYC under the General's boots after that performance.
    Let me see your war face!!