Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

Review of UNC Pembroke Exhibition

Austin Johnson was out for the game so we pretty much rotated two units in and out. Final score was 118-60 OU.

The first unit, which were the starters, consisted of Gray, Bookout, Everett, Walker and Carter. The second unit was Longar, Griffin, Neal, Godbold and Sampson. The only other player on the bench was Ott, who got in some during the end of the 2nd half.

Both units worked pretty well. Both Gray and Bookout played as usual. The important thing I think was just that they both stay healthy. Everett was great again tonight and makes some nice cuts to the basket. Walker played much better tonight and was a force on defense. He is very quick laterally and also played well when they were showing their press defense. Tonight was Carter's first game as a Sooner. He got off to a slow start but settled down later in the game.

The second unit worked well. I have to take back some of what I said about Longar last week. He does look like he has improved some from last year (and probably should not redshirt after all.) He seems to have settled down a bit and played some great defense tonight. Longar has great instincts on D and in time could become the complete player we're hoping. He still is having some problems boxing out but when he got the ball in the paint offensively he was making a few more things happen. Also Longar shot much better free throws tonight than I ever saw last year. I think he ended up w/ 17 pts and 13 rebounds. Griffin is going to contribute alot this year. All I can say is that he is really really strong. All those shots that Neal missed last week seemed to fall for him tonight. He really had a good stroke from 3 pt land tonight and ended up with 20+ points. I think he had four 3 pointers. Kellen and Godbold rounded out the second unit.

Pembroke didn't really have a true center and all 5 of their guys played the perimeter at times offensively. We played man defense the whole night and it wasn't uncommon to see Bookout's/Gray's/Longar's man shooting from behind the arc. They moved the ball well and had a few open 3 pt looks that they knocked down. Despite the fact that we beat them by more points, Pembroke is better than the Northeastern St team we played last week.

The crowd was pretty good. I'm not great at estimating numbers but it seemed like there were around 5-6000 there. Alot of the freshmen from the football team were there too. Duke Robinson is huge...

Our shooting - free throw, fg, 3 pt - was much better tonight. Here's to a great season.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Review of UNC Pembroke Exhibition

In other news, I beat my 11 year old this afternoon in one-on-one football 412-0.

Just kidding Ruuuu. Good summary, thanks for sharing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

griffin reminds me a lot of carlos boozer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

The halftime entertainment was interesting. I have never seen an all male Chinese dance team before!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

This is the Mike Neal that we expected. When he gets in a groove, he's automatic. I think being healthier than the first exhibition, and the oppotunity to get more practice shots, helped him. A shooter needs repitition more than any other type of BBALL player....Griffin is a monster inside. There won't be many (if any) teams around the conference and country who have a stronger and more active front line. If people around the country don't believe that Everett is one of the best guards in the country, then they just don't understand BBALL.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr
    In other news, I beat my 11 year old this afternoon in one-on-one football 412-0.

Just kidding Ruuuu. Good summary, thanks for sharing.
    No mercy rule?Just remember that someday your son will most likely be bigger,stronger, and faster than you and he will always be younger.Payback is a bitch.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

They need to work on better audio coreography when the team comes out on the court. It was awkward all around.

There were several other weird mixes and uses of audio during the game.

vCash

By the way, biggest story of the game: Sampson's jacket stayed on until the 5:44 mark of the 1st half.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

So how did the bigs do against their man popping out? Because we are probably going to see that against West Virginia with Pittsnoggle(sp?)

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jdsooner
    The halftime entertainment was interesting. I have never seen an all male Chinese dance team before!
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/yatta.html

WARNING: actually, if you don't know what yatta is by now, you deserve this link.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NickZeppelin's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg
    By the way, biggest story of the game: Sampson's jacket stayed on until the 5:44 mark of the 1st half.
    That's gotta be a record. Even for an exhibition game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTrombone
    So how did the bigs do against their man popping out? Because we are probably going to see that against West Virginia with Pittsnoggle(sp?)
    I just like to say Pittsnoggle.

Pittsnoggle, pittsnoggle, pittsnoggle.

Pittsnoggle.
    Atheist.

vCash

Oh, and it was the best national anthem ever.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member boomersooner28's Avatar
    vCash

In other news....Earlsboro beat Hanna 112-2.

I wish I was kidding.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Griffin is huge. As jkm said, he looks a lot like Boozer, though he looks a bit bigger IMO. It may have been that I was sitting closer than I've ever sat before. At any rate, he's got a great touch, and good moves. I can't wait to see him learn how to frustrate the big guys like Bookout does.

In other news, I was sitting behind two guys who looked to be scouts or something. I have no clue who they were, but the old guy looked really familiar somehow. They did get pumped up on a couple of Taj and Everett's moves, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

what about the dragon B team...Could they not afford fuzzy pants for the 2nd group of guys....they were believable dragons til the guys who were wearing black pants started in...I knew then that they werent real

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I can't wait until a few days and I get to see these guys play in person...While on leave, my sports tour will begin with watching my Wardogs in Clinton (I predict that they will at least score), and then watching the Sooners BBALL team. From what everybody's saying, Griffin looks Schwartzeneggarian!
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp
    what about the dragon B team...Could they not afford fuzzy pants for the 2nd group of guys....they were believable dragons til the guys who were wearing black pants started in...I knew then that they werent real
    Yeah, I was calling this knight I know to come kill the dragons. But those black pants made me realize it was a hoax.