Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

Review of NE St Exhibition

As expected, the Sooners had little trouble with NE St., and it appeared at times that they were playing kind of lazy. The defense looks very good and was pretty consistant. Chris Walker and David Godbold played well defensively in particular.

All the newcomers played except for Nate Carter who was out with a foot fungus I think. As said above, Walker looked good defensively and ran the point well most of the game. He made a few good drives but didn't finish... had a rough game shooting like most everyone else. Neal was finding spaces to get open shots but wasn't putting them in the basket; not much else sticks out. Both of the freshmen, Austin Johnson and Taylor Griffin looked pretty solid. Johnson ran the point a little during the second half and showed some good potential. Griffin looks more and more like a Bookout type player and is very very strong.

Taj looks like he has gotten stronger, but I guess it could just be the competition. He ran the floor well and had some nice dunks. Bookout was his usual solid self and grabbed alot of rebounds. Sorry to say, but Longar still looks lost most of the time. He wasn't boxing out very well and looked awkward when he got the ball down low. There's certainly a great deal of potential there, but I didn't see much improvement from where he left off last year. Everett looked good but didn't get alot of PT with all the other guards rotating in and out. Godbold played very well and should be a solid contributor.

Our free throw shooting was awful, as was our 3 pt shooting. I'm not sure if we made a single 3 pointer the whole game. It should be noted that they were using the extended 3 point line for the exhibition tonight.

The turnout was pretty good for an exhibition... more than any last year. I think someone said there were ~6-7000 there.

The one thing I was displeased with was the new student sections on either sides of the floor RW3 and RE3. I guess it was decided that they were going to take all the seats out of those sections and make them standing room only. That seems like a decent idea for some of the big games but for exhibitions against teams like NE St they really should leave the seats in there because hardly any of the students wanted to stand the whole time for an exhibition. The rest of the student sections were suprisingly more full than I thought they would be.

edit: oh yeah, Johnson went out of the game during the 2nd half with what looked like an ankle or foot injury. He wasn't putting any weight on it but hopefully will be ok.
    Last edited by Ruuuuuufus; 11/5/2005 at 10:44 PM.

Re: Review of NE St Exhibition

thanks for the review

"out with a foot fungus" doesn't sound too appealing

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah apparently it's the same one that Taj had a few weeks ago... you'd think the team would have some official licensed Nike shower shoes or something.

same foot fungus as Taj?

what have those two been doing? footsy? i kid, i kid.

seriously, you would think they would have shower shoes provided for them. get nike on the horn.

i'm sure that holding someone out in exhibition for a foot fungus is purely precautionary. nate will be a go for opening game right? has he been practicing regularly?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Shooting is often the last thing to come around. It's like in football where defenses dominate and baseball where pitching dominates early in seasons. Look for the offense to improve with Carter. Some of this was also the level of competition. Often when shots are just "rimming" out, it's because the shooter will over-rotate their wrists and they speed up their motion. This is usually because they are anxious. No surprise that 3PT and FT shooting were a bit off. A lot of this is nerves.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ruuuuuufus
    The one thing I was displeased with was the new student sections on either sides of the floor RW3 and RE3. I guess it was decided that they were going to take all the seats out of those sections and make them standing room only. That seems like a decent idea for some of the big games but for exhibitions against teams like NE St they really should leave the seats in there because hardly any of the students wanted to stand the whole time for an exhibition. The rest of the student sections were suprisingly more full than I thought they would be.
    Was my first OU game at LNC in a loooong time and I was totally digging the new student sections. Yeah, kinda pointless for an exp. game, but still cool.

The people in the floor seats (about 3 feet in front of the new student section) were kinda ****ed that we we were standing there... for free... when they payed so much for their precious cup holders and pleather-cast chairs.

Oh, and I can't believe they just killed off Top Dawg like that... I hate our new mascots... and I'm not alone...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Lysol the gd shower and locker room, coach.

Quote Originally Posted by OUDizzle

Oh, and I can't believe they just killed off Top Dawg like that... I hate our new mascots... and I'm not alone...
    THEY KILLED OF TOP DAWG???????

YOU HAVE TO BE SHARTING ME!

Quote Originally Posted by william_brasky
    THEY KILLED OF TOP DAWG???????

YOU HAVE TO BE SHARTING ME!
    Well we wasn't at the game and they had the stupid Sooner horse with the LSD eyes doing his job...

Brewmaster

vCash

Yeah, that was kind of the point of getting the gay pony suits.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

gawd i hate those horse/pig things.

way to go Joe C. somehow i forget that they'd ace topdawg for those atrocities for hoops.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member boomersooner28's Avatar
    vCash

Sooooo, was there a score, or did they just play for fun?

Brewmaster

vCash

we won like 70-something to 30-something. They got their dongs stomped on.
    ... that's not food.