Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 HoserSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Best Team In The NHL....

....so far has to be the Senators.

That team is just damn scary. They were good last season without Heatly and Hasek, but with the additions of those two, there just is not a better team from top to bottom this year.

The ONLY team that can compete with them in the East is Philly, and in a playoff series, Philly would be lucky to win one game.

With the new NHL rules allowing the speedy players room, Ottawa is going to be tough to stop.

And as a diehard Leafs fan, that sucks.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Best Team In The NHL....

Ottawa 9-2-0-0
    Detroit 12-1-0-0

I'm jus' sayin
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

The Sens sure looked good last night. I just got Center Ice the other day so I haven't gotten a good look at too many teams yet.

vCash

Sens look dominant against other eastern conference teams because they are built more like a western conference team. The east teams still think they need to play pylon defense and hit hit hit...the Sens skate, and because of that they can score on the stiffs in the east. Only other team like that out there is probably Tampa, but losing Khabibulin to the Blackhawks didn't hurt...then again the way he's been playing in Chicago, maybe it was a good thing.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

I think Ottawa was one of the few teams that did not need to do any restructuring of their rosters under the new CBA. The trading of Hossa to Atlanta for Heatley has been a steal so far.

I'd like to see what Ottawa can do against the West teams though.

Mind you, they still have NEVER gotten past Toronto in a playoff round after beating them soundly in the regular season.

vCash

I think a lot of that will depend on if the refs keep calling the things they're calling now. IF so, then I think Toronto would lose to Ottawa in the playoffs. Then again, a lot of the experts had written Detroit off because we couldn't 'buy' an 'all-star' roster with the cap.

vCash

I think you're right on that.

Toronto has always been able to out-muscle Ottawa in a 7-game series, minimizing thier speed. NOt only do the rules favor Ottawa now, but they've acquired toughness in McGratten, who took Domi to the woodshed on Saturday night. I haven't seen Domi beaten on like that since the Propert-Domi II many, many years ago.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

The worst part about last night is that I had Hossa on the bench in my fantasy league.

Oh well, I had Visnovsky on my blue line, so I got 3 goals anyways.
    Atheist.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HoserSooner
    I think you're right on that.

Toronto has always been able to out-muscle Ottawa in a 7-game series, minimizing thier speed. NOt only do the rules favor Ottawa now, but they've acquired toughness in McGratten, who took Domi to the woodshed on Saturday night. I haven't seen Domi beaten on like that since the Propert-Domi II many, many years ago.
    hehe remember the good ole days Probert-McSorley back in the 80s when Marty was in Boston...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
    The worst part about last night is that I had Hossa on the bench in my fantasy league.

Oh well, I had Visnovsky on my blue line, so I got 3 goals anyways.
    should have been a good thing you had Hossa on the bench, since Atlanta didn't play

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    hehe remember the good ole days Probert-McSorley back in the 80s when Marty was in Boston...
    Yeah, I miss the old days when guys could fight and nobody cared if they did. The instigator rule, among other things, had ruined that for us fans that liked the scraps.

vCash

Yeah, I miss the old days when guys could fight and nobody cared if they did. The instigator rule, among other things, had ruined that for us fans that liked the scraps.
    so what do you think about the new rule for the last 5 minutes of the game? I'm iffy on it right now...but there haven't been any major incidents at the end of games like there used to be.

Sooner Benchwarmer WisconsinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I think the biggest question is whether or not the officiating is going to change during the playoffs. Right now, of the teams I have seen, it's a toss up between Detroit and the Sens. And being an Av's fan that really REALLY hurt to say. But if the officiating reverts and the ice gets a little smaller I don't see Ottawa getting out of the first round. Then I think teams like Philly, Toronto and Vancouver (painful to say) are the teams to watch. I think Detroit can manage either style of play. (again, painful to say) As for my Av's, they are a good mix of youth and experience. I think they could manage a run but they are not quite there yet.

vCash

so what do you think about the new rule for the last 5 minutes of the game? I'm iffy on it right now...but there haven't been any major incidents at the end of games like there used to be.
    They do that a lot in minor hockey, but I don't think it belongs in the NHL. Quite often a fight livens up an otherwise dull hockey game, and I don't think further punishing a player is called for.

I can see why they do it though, as a team that is down by 3+ goals with under 5 minutes to go may decide that if they are going to lose the battle, they will try and win the war (a theory I subscribe to). I remember a few years back Toronto and Philly had a big scrap where the goalies (Potvin and Hextall) scrapped it out, and it was entertaining as hell.

Guess we'll never see that kind of "nonsense" again.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

Ottawa is REALLY good.

Detroit hasn't played anyone yet... and IMO Nashville is better.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

vCash

They do that a lot in minor hockey, but I don't think it belongs in the NHL. Quite often a fight livens up an otherwise dull hockey game, and I don't think further punishing a player is called for.

I can see why they do it though, as a team that is down by 3+ goals with under 5 minutes to go may decide that if they are going to lose the battle, they will try and win the war (a theory I subscribe to). I remember a few years back Toronto and Philly had a big scrap where the goalies (Potvin and Hextall) scrapped it out, and it was entertaining as hell.

Guess we'll never see that kind of "nonsense" again.
    Well I was more thinking about how in the past with a score like 8-0 like Ottawa had over Toronto woulda ended up with a Leaf taking a run at say Heatley or Alfredsson in that last 5 minutes. Then again, a rule like this woulda likely prevented the McSorley chop to the dome of Brashear.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrowl
    Ottawa is REALLY good.

Detroit hasn't played anyone yet... and IMO Nashville is better.
    yeah, just Vancouver, Calgary, and tonight Edmonton..nobody good.

Actually surprized Calgary has struggled so much out of the gate, but they seem to be rounding into the form that people expected out of them..I still think Iginla will have a huge year, and but I'm biased because he's my favorite player right now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

should have been a good thing you had Hossa on the bench, since Atlanta didn't play
    Havlat, Hossa, what's the difference really?
    Atheist.

vCash

Well I was more thinking about how in the past with a score like 8-0 like Ottawa had over Toronto woulda ended up with a Leaf taking a run at say Heatley or Alfredsson in that last 5 minutes. Then again, a rule like this woulda likely prevented the McSorley chop to the dome of Brashear.
    That's exactly why I'm not a coach in the NHL. I'd be double-shifting my knuckle draggers, and benching the visor-wearing frenchies/europeans once the score got to 5-0.

I just finished watching a replay of the big Ottawa/Philly brawl from a few years back. Who DOESN'T like that kind of a game every once in a while?