Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Angry Just to Get Your Blood Pressure Up Today

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk

Won't read it because after 8 months in Iraq, I don't need anything else to get my blood pressure up. All I can say is this. With as much sunshine that's being pumped up the rumps of the UT BBALL team, it's no wonder that their color is a shade of orange. I cannot wait for the season to start and Taj Gray posterizes some of these guys (like the 7' + guy in the picture). Is Burleson another Texan? I've seen him pumping this team before? Something tells me that he is.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Just to Get Your Blood Pressure Up Today

The thing that irks me is the consistent selection of Gibson over Everett on virtually every all conference team I've seen to this point. A closer look at the numbers:

PPG- Gibson 14.2, Everett 12.5, edge Gibson

RPG- Gibson 14 offensive, 98 defensive for a 3.6 avg, Everett 40 offensive, 118 defensive for an avg of 4.8, edge Everett

APG- Gibson 3.9, Everett 5.0, edge Everett (& I would submit that this edge is bigger than the numbers would indicate considering that Sampson had the patience of Job with Lavender before finally putting Everett at the PG spot)

FG %- Gibson 41.7%, Everett 45.4%, edge Everett

3 Pt FG- Gibson 39.8%, Everett 36.2%, edge Gibson

Turnovers per game- Gibson 3.06, Everett 2.82, edge Everett

FT %- Gibson 75.2, Everett 80%, edge Everett

Personal fouls (neither player fouled out of a game last year), steals, & blocked shots are pretty much a wash so I won't bother w/ the numbers

Long story short, you have Everett leading in 5 different categories, to Gibson's 2, & last time I heard, it was Everett's team who had the better success last year (although you can't blame DG for the Tucker & Aldridge situations). Again I ask, TO THIS POINT, exactly WHAT has Gibson done to merit being selected over Everett? As far as I'm concerned, TE is THE most under-rated player in the conference, & it's not even close.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BillyBall's Avatar
    vCash

Both players are great with the only difference being that Gibson came in with a huge degree of hype, that is all......
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I'm not a big lover of diversity..

vCash

Everett had a supporting cast last year, Gibson did not. Gibson was forced to lead the team and was asked to do way too much as a true freshman.

The two situations were completely different last year.

Now that Texas has consistent and talented big men to go along with a lot of guards this year, I'd look for Gibson's production (not necessarily PPG, but FG% and such) to go up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTXHorn
    Everett had a supporting cast last year, Gibson did not. Gibson was forced to lead the team and was asked to do way too much as a true freshman.

The two situations were completely different last year.

Now that Texas has consistent and talented big men to go along with a lot of guards this year, I'd look for Gibson's production (not necessarily PPG, but FG% and such) to go up.
    are you saying that everett's production won't go up?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    are you saying that everett's production won't go up?
    No. But I am saying that Gibson was put in a much tougher situation than Everett was in last year. By saying that I think the big men and extra guards will make Gibson's production go up, I'm saying that it would have been higher if he had been in a situation like Everett's last year.

vCash

the problem was that OU had no 3 point shooting last year. if you are a slasher you have to have multiple ways to kick the ball to penalize rotation. having good big guys may help you on back door cuts, but there isn't a back door if the defense is sagging.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

If there is more help, I expect Gibson's production to go down.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite
    If there is more help, I expect Gibson's production to go down.
    Why would you expect his FG%, APG, etc. to go down if there's more help? The only thing that I would expect to drop would be points per game and minutes per game.

vCash

i expect his FG% to go down because he'll be taking longer shots

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    i expect his FG% to go down because he'll be taking longer shots
    Judging by the threes that Gibson jacked up last year, I'm not sure that's possible. <---That should be a Quin Snyder smiley.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I expect his points to go down as they are spread out among others. His assists may rise as he passes, but the presence of Tucker may also result in some assists. I expect his shooting percentages to increase since he won't be taking as many forced shots. But, his point production should decline.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite
    I expect his points to go down as they are spread out among others. His assists may rise as he passes, but the presence of Tucker may also result in some assists. I expect his shooting percentages to increase since he won't be taking as many forced shots. But, his point production should decline.
    I agree with that. But that's why I said a few posts back that I thought his production except PPG would all improve.

I don't think there's any chance he averages 15 PPG like he did last season. He also won't be playing 40 minutes per game like he did last year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Gibson's assists will be relative. He will have to get Tucker in situations to succeed. If I'm a defender (like Nate Carter), I back off of Tucker and force him to shoot. He has a GREAT inside game, but he will be playing the 3, not the 4. That will clog the lane, if Tucker hangs out in the paint. Guys like Paulino will have to CONSISTENTLY hit the three, if not, see OU's season last year. They will become very familiar with the zone....Also, look for TE's assists to go up. He has more scorers (Carter and Neal) to distribute the ball and finish. When he kicks it out, he has a sniper with Neal out there to change the defense. He will have more lanes to go and the bigs will have more room to operate. His assists, and even points, will go up. TE's also far more versatile. The one things for sure this season: if you succeed as a guard in this league this year, you have done something. Look at the guards around the conference:

OU: Everett and Neal
    UT: Gibson
    ISU: Stinson, Blaylock, Carr
    TTECH: Jackson, Zeno
    OSU: Curry
    KU: Rush
    CU: Roby
    A&M: Law IV
    NU: McCray
    MU: Gardner
    Baylor: Bruce
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Herr Scholz's Avatar
    vCash

Gibson and Everett are both very good. The front lines of both teams are very good. Should be some tough games this year between these two teams.