Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

Student seating....

Don't know if this has been talked about, but has anyone seen the new student seating arrangement? It sucks. Some very excellent seats for a few students, but everyone else gets crap. I can't find the layout online, but I saw it at the ticket office.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Student seating....

Yeah, I don't get the layout of the LNC, from giving the loser corporate people who don't show up prime seats, to putting the student sections at the weirdest places. Seems to me they should put the students either behind the band or behind the visitors' bench, and add on some club seating at the top so we don't notice the corporate ticket holders missing on national TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems as if we may have gone for a fake PAT once since I've been at Baylor. Although I may have just been drunk and playing Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Back off of Bob (Barry, Sr.). He's drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Awesoministrator

vCash

What?!?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

You know, when I first heard they'd be giving the student section seats on the side of the court, I should've known Joe C would make it just a small portion.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Wow....that is just....

wow.

vCash

they moved the student section because we were never filling it up anyway. the student body sucks at rolling out for basketball games, i don't even think we sold all the student tickets that the gave us. They pretty just decided that students couldn't show up a tipoff and get to sit mid court.
    Besides, if your that mad about it show up sooner and get a better seat
    funny how that works
    What are the only two words in the english dictionary that are better together than free beer?

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

I dunno...it doesn't seem too bad to me. It's a step in the right direction. If the students respond by showing up at every game, maybe the athletic department will respond with more good seats.

Isn't the area behind the visitor's bench typically reserved for visiting fans? Not just at ours, but all arenas?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

LW6-LE2 should be it. Do away with the rafters the band stands on, and put them right behind the visiting bench. And whose genius idea was it to put student seating IN THE UPPER DECK?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems as if we may have gone for a fake PAT once since I've been at Baylor. Although I may have just been drunk and playing Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Back off of Bob (Barry, Sr.). He's drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together.

vCash

once again, it's all about the money. The seats in lw4 and 5 and rw 4 can be sold as donor seats instead of "just" student tickets. Put the students in sections that used to be sooner saver seats and you have more money in their pockets.

The argument that this somehow happened because the students don't show up for the games doesn't hold water in my mind. Don't give me that **** when you can go to a OSU/Kansas/Texas game and see 6 empty seats together, midcourt because some ********* at a big company decided not to go or give the tickets to somebody. There is a large group of students that attend every game, and now they will have a lot ****tier seats so that some donor can get better football tickets by buying donor level basketball tickets for the priority points.

Don't get me wrong, I get ****ed about the ****ty attendance, too, but it's not just the students, so don't kid yourself into thinking that's why they did this. Which sections do you think will be the fullest when East Popcorn State comes rolling into town next week? It won't be the donor sections. Trust me, that's where my tickets have been for the last 5 years. And if this was really an attempt to boost attendance, why don't they try changing their ****ty student ticket policy of making you pick up packets of tickets weeks ahead of time in order to attend the games.

vCash

I'm not sure how you guys can be ****ed about this. I'd think of that as a victory for the students. OU students are now getting to sit where some big money donors used to sit. Of course they're not going to give a ton of courtside seats to the students, because they're not sure if it would fill up consistently and it would be pointless to take seats away from big donors and have them stay empty.

What OU students need to do is fill up those courtside seats for every single game and prove to the athletic department that they deserve to have more.

This is what I wish Texas would at least experiment with.

vCash

first of all, no big money donors used to sit in any of those seats. those were sooner saver and opposing team seats.

second of all, I would be amazed if there was one bit of evidence that proved that the people with the big money seats attendance rate was any better than the students. I would bet that it is a lot worse. I've missed maybe 5 games in the last 6 years. I can tell you that in my section, there are about 25 regulars that attend every game and probably another 50 that attend every one in a while, and this is a donor section. That's out of probably 500 seats. Do you think that giving them ****tier seats will make the students more likely or less likely to attend the games?

I'm not saying that we need to give the students a ton of courtside seats. Hell, given the distance from the seats to the court, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. We'll never be Duke, but the students are getting the shaft on this one in favor of more money for the athletic department.

Now, I will be extremely ****ed if those courtside seats are reserved for Kelvin's Krazies or for Fraternity/Sorority type functions.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The new "courtside" seats are probably going to suck. I was part of a "test group" they used last year to decide if putting some students in those areas would affect the view of the donors that sit behind them. None of us liked them. You're not raised up high enough to see over the scorers/media table and b/c of the shape of the LNC, you're pretty far from the game. I'd much rather sit on the first few rows of the original student section or in the corner by the visitors bench. I give the athletic department some props for at least trying to get the students closer to the court, but this is a pretty poor attempt. Sadly, there's only so much they can do with the LNC. It's just too bad they built it when they did... in an era of bad sports venues.

vCash

first of all, no big money donors used to sit in any of those seats. those were sooner saver and opposing team seats.
    Opposing teams got seats right in center court down low?

second of all, I would be amazed if there was one bit of evidence that proved that the people with the big money seats attendance rate was any better than the students.
    That's not the point of it. The athletic department gets a lot of money from those people. If you take away their seats and students still don't fill it up, not only do they lose money, but it looks bad for the school and it ****es off the former ticket holders.

I'm not saying there will be less people in the stands. I'm just saying that if the athletic department is going to make a move like that, then they need to see that the students are going to fill up those great seats for every game to make it worthwhile.

IMO, as long as the students show up and prove that it's worth moving season ticket holders/big donors out of their seats, the university will give them better seats.

vCash

It's just too bad they built it when they did... in an era of bad sports venues.
    Why don't they fix it up some like Texas did with the Erwin Center?

The place is the perfect basketball arena. You walk in at the top of the building and it has a low ceiling. Could be one of the louder places in college basketball. All they'd really need to do is fix it up so you have seats that go right up to the court.

And lights. Lights are good.

vCash

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I agree, LNC needs to be "jazzed" up some. When they started the entrance music a few years ago, that was cool. Unfortunately, it was built in an era of bad sports venues. I would like to see something unique, and something that where teams come in and say "I don't want to go play against OU in Norman, that place is wild." That's, unfortunately, what places like Stillwater, Ames, Lawrence, Columbia, and even Lubbock are like. What's amazing is that Coach Sampson has built what he has at OU and has the consistent home court advantage. If we had a consistent attendance, then, WOW, look out.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

Awesoministrator

vCash

One of these days, we might be able to play with lights on in the LNC.

vCash

Here is a side by side of the student section now (on the left), and before (on the right). This is how it was when I was a student, so it may have been slightly different for the last couple of years. I do know that when the games don't sell out, sections w5, w6, w7, and n1 were sold as general admission seating. I think that for the last couple of years w5 was season tickets, but you get the idea.

Anyway, as you can see, what has happened is there are 2 small courtside areas (which as someone stated earlier are pretty crappy seats) that were given to the students, but lw5, 6, rw4 and the upper bowl sections have been given to non-student season ticket holders. In return, the students have been given n2, n3, and n4, which in the past were reserved for fans of the opposing team and the half time performers and there families when applicable (little dribblers, gymnastics/dance squads, etc...) Basically, they were the least desirable tickets in the arena. The area that's purple on the new layout is being shown as student seating, but that is where the band, ruf neks and kelvin's krazies sit.

You're telling me that this is a victory for the students?

And as for the argument that the donors deserve this more than the students because they pay more:
    This is a much bigger issue to me. Lately the line between pro sports and college sports is getting more and more blurry and it's because of this mentality. Traditions are being replaced with sponsorships. Money is replacing school spirit. You can make the argument that students should have to pay full donor prices for their tickets, I guess.

I guess that's probably what's at the heart of it for me; the students are getting crowded out. I hate to see it happening, and not because of attendance, but because of money. I know it's a business, but if it's purely a business then it should be presented as such and ties to the University should be severed.

vCash

And as for the argument that the donors deserve this more than the students because they pay more:
    This is a much bigger issue to me. Lately the line between pro sports and college sports is getting more and more blurry and it's because of this mentality. Traditions are being replaced with sponsorships. Money is replacing school spirit. You can make the argument that students should have to pay full donor prices for their tickets, I guess.
    I did not say that I agreed with it. But I don't think it's any secret that in the University's eyes, they want to make the maximum amount of money possible. And the way to do that is give the big donors great seats to keep them happy and keep the money flowing in. To the school, old rich man has more priority than poor college student when it comes to keeping them happy at basketball games.

The exact same thing has gone on at Texas. Only students in the first 5-10 rows of the student sections (about 1/20 of it) have halfway decent seats.

I didn't say it was a full blown complete victory for the students. But a small one. If they pack that lower part of the student section for every game, there's a much better chance that they'll go ahead and give them RW2, RW4, RE2, and RE4. I guess what I'm saying is the potential final product is much better than the old one.