SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Male practice squad for the Sooner ladies?

Heard this on TV a week or so ago.One of the Lady Sooners was saying that the male practice squad couldn't stop the inside game of the Paris twins.I was wondering if anybody had any info on this practice squad.I am assuming they are recruited from the student body?I saw just a brief clip and it looked like they had some 6'4-6'5 types to defend in the post.Is this a common Policy? How long has Sherri done this?
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUGreg723's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Male practice squad for the Sooner ladies?

Many girls basketball teams practice against boys. For example, at my high school the girls sometimes scrimmage against boys. I assume it is to make them more physical and tougher. I am suprised this is done at the college level though. Maybe it is good for them, who knows. Sherri knows what she's doing.

vCash

One of my students played on the male practice squad a few times last year. He quit because he couldn't take getting beat by girls all the time.
    "Charlie don't surf!"

vCash

I know UCONN and Tennessee have male practice squads as well.
    What are the only two words in the english dictionary that are better together than free beer?

TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

I think Sherri's done it throughout her tenure here. I know it's been going on for several years at least.

One of my buddies played on the practice team a few years ago and then a few weeks ago happened to be around when they were looking for a few more to practice against. He said the Paris twins were dominant inside. My friend is a point/2-guard type and said he didn't want to take anything into the lane, fearing incredible harm to his body and/or ego.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I actually remember seeing a story on this, and it focused on tenn. but these guys are mostly high school ballers who couldn't make it in college, but they actually have strict rules and policies for the practice squad. It was an interesting article, and I think it's a good idea.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

They have to be students (in good standing, I believe) and the coaches usually recruit them from IM and pickup games at the campus rec center, Huffman in OU's case.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

I don't think they have to be students...but I think sometimes they might offer a small stipend/scholarship to those who are. However, I'm not at all sure about that.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

I scrimmiged with them a few years ago. Out of the blue Coach Overton had our IM team go to practice and there were only 6 of us that showed. They kept rotating 5 at a time. We were up on them early until we couldn't breathe anymore. I thought I was gonna puke at halfcourt at the Noble. We ended up getting stomped.
    one day