Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Running back at Ponca City H.S.

Can somebody, anybody (Buehler??) share some info on the running back playing at Ponca City; Johnson is his name, I believe? Weight, height, speed, who's recruiting him, etc.

Thanks

Awesoministrator

vCash

Re: Running back at Ponca City H.S.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

He ran all over Union last year, but they held him to 95 yards on Friday.

Ponca plays Stillwater on October 20th . . . might have to make an effort to watch this kid play.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

He is an excellent playerand outstanding kid.In this years Union game PC went 1-15 in the passing game allowing Union to concentrate almost entirely on him.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

It's about time someone of that calliber came out of Ponca. Well, since me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DCSooner
    It's about time someone of that calliber came out of Ponca. Well, since me.
    hey, i was born in Ponca. and i can spel.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    hey, i was born in Ponca. and i can spel.
    I went to West.

vCash

Josh Johnson update:22 carries,228 yards,4tds against Edmond Memorial For the season(5 games 1028 yaeds,14tds rushing,1 recieving.I have lived in Ponca since '74 and he is the best PO-HI Wildact I have ever seen. Three weeks he had 315 yards and 4tds against Tahlequah in three quarters,On his last carry of the game he went 85 yards for a td.On that play he became the schools all-time career rushing leader,single game rushing leader and had the longest TD run in school history.This weeks game will be ugly against NW Classen if he plays at all in the second half.That was the mistake Tahlequah made they cut Ponca's 13-0 lead to 13-9 at half.The result,Josh got 209 yards in the third quarter alone.Can't help wondering if that is a Class 6A record for a single quarter.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

This is from ESPN insider:

Josh Johnson
    RB | (5'11" 195)

Hometown: Ponca City, OK
    School: Ponca City High School
    Region: Plains Status: Undeclared

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive recruiting content below.

Last Updated: 9/12/2005 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouts Grade: 6.1
    Position Rank: RB #91

Considering: 1-Oklahoma , 2-Oklahoma State , 3-Texas Tech , 4-Iowa State , 5-North Carolina
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation: Johnson is a very deceptive back that isn't quite what you are looking for in a power back, but does look the part and will surprise you with his versatility as both an inside and outside runner. He is well-built and has a strong running style. Has good shoulder lean and a strong lower body. Has very good vision and patience as a runner. Will find the cutback lanes and shows good burst through the hole. Does a nice job of breaking tackles and gaining yards after contact. Is shifty and has nimble feet in the hole. Does not have great elusiveness, but will make some defenders miss with subtle moves and ability to make sharp cuts without losing much in transition. Johnson is not flashy, but the more you watch him, the more you like his productivity. He is always moving north/south and falling forward after contact and he has the ability to be a good short yardage runner. Does not get many opportunities in the passing game and needs to come along as a receiver.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Johnson is awesome. He went for over 200 yards last week against NW Classen and did not play in the second half! He made an unbelievable run against Edmond Memorial. He broke outside to the south sideline, cut all the way across the field to the north sideline and then cut back to the middle to score on a 40 yard plus run. It was stunning! He is hard to bring down and can carry tacklers with him.

He is also a good blocker, can catch the ball, and returns kick-offs and punts. Iowa State has offered and he is being recruited by OSU and OU, but has yet to receive an offer. Coach Hannaford said on WBBZ tonight that he recently sent tapes to Kansas and Nebraska. North Texas had scouts in Ponca last week.

I think he could play for OU and I do not understand why OU has yet to offer. It seems to me that he is the best back in the state.

vCash

Coach Hanniford was interviewed on WBBZ before the Sapulpa game and said he had just got off the phone with Cale Gundy.Says since recruits can only be contacted once a week by each school he gets several calls a week from coaches especially Cale.
    On a side noteJohnson was held to 101 yards on 40 carries in PO-HI's 45-42 4ot win.Sapulpa ignored the passing game and played 9 men to stop Josh.On every single play. Sapulpa crashed both DE's around our flanks(every stinking play). Josh did score 4 tds however.I kept screaming for a play-action pass on first down and they handed to Josh every time.I hope that was an attempt to lull Stoolwater into a false sense of security.If not Josh and the 'cats are in trouble!BTW Josh had 196 yards at half against Classen and DID carry twice in the opening drive of the second half before calling it a night.

vCash

Josh tied the game with a beautiful 65 yard run against stoolwater. He followed his blockers perfectly and did a beautiful tightrope down the sideline for the last 15 yards. According to my son, Gundy was at the game.

And yes, the Wildcats won 22-20, coming back from a 20-0 halftime defecit.

vCash

Enid was talking trash about Josh the week before their game at Po-Hi.Said Josh was overrated and so was Ponca.Big mistake,Josh had 20 carries for 136 yards and 2 tds at half.Ponca coasted 31-10 while Josh finished with 32 carries for 236 yards and the 2 scores.For the season he has 1741 yards on 232 carries and 27 tds.If Ponca wins as expected against Edmond North this week,we will be 9-1 for the first time since 1954.Go Cats.

vCash

Robert Allen says he was in stoolwater for osu/ut.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

surely he isn't better than tink or meach?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJAM
    Enid was talking trash about Josh the week before their game at Po-Hi.Said Josh was overrated and so was Ponca.Big mistake,Josh had 20 carries for 136 yards and 2 tds at half.Ponca coasted 31-10 while Josh finished with 32 carries for 236 yards and the 2 scores.For the season he has 1741 yards on 232 carries and 27 tds.If Ponca wins as expected against Edmond North this week,we will be 9-1 for the first time since 1954.Go Cats.
    Wow! Wish the program was that good in my day! GO CATS!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Brasky7's Avatar
    vCash

Enid is pretty good about talking trash and then not being able to back it up...
    It's better than a kick in the crotch...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    surely he isn't better than tink or meach?
    As good as the two of them combined.BTW Demetrius has spelled his nickname Meech ever since I've known him.Josh has almost 4000 career yards after only carrying the ball 18 times for 67 yards as a so.His 4.55 40 time is reminescent of James Allen and Joe washington. On a side note I played softball in a league with Tink.He was a good little athlete for a 5'7-5'8 175 pound guy.Did a decent job at wr at OU after making switch from QB.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

This weeks game will be ugly against NW Classen if he plays at all in the second half.
    Sigh. We used to be really good. Back when we had enough kids in the band to form NWC on the field.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

As good as the two of them combined.BTW Demetrius has spelled his nickname Meech ever since I've known him.Josh has almost 4000 career yards after only carrying the ball 18 times for 67 yards as a so.His 4.55 40 time is reminescent of James Allen and Joe washington. On a side note I played softball in a league with Tink.He was a good little athlete for a 5'7-5'8 175 pound guy.Did a decent job at wr at OU after making switch from QB.
    he was playing fullback in 88 (around 205) and i was a 165 lb strong safety. i thought i had free run on a blitz at tink and he came out of no where and just absolutely laid me out. later in the game on a kick return, he turned his head while he was faking a reverse. like a con in the longest yard, i didn't care if he had the ball or not. i absolutely lit him up and got flagged for taunting afterwards.