Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Re: This is more nervewracking than waiting around for kickoff of the Orange Bowl

My dad talked to my cousin at lunch. They left a 4 am this morning and had made it as far as LaPorte, which is not very far! They said that they are moving about 1 1/2 miles per hour.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

vCash

Re: This is more nervewracking than waiting around for kickoff of the Orange Bowl

Wow, the Mayor of Houston just said that the highways out of town will turn into "deathtraps" because of the people that may get stuck on them.

Live feed:
    http://www.wfaa.com/perl/common/vide...props=livenoad

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

My SIL reported they've made it 40 miles in eight hours.

Ugh.

With 7 and 5-year-old girls, a dalmation and a Tahoe packed with stuff. That's gotta be miserable.

i cant imagine the problems associated with a traffic jam like that

cars overheating because there is no airflow when you're only going 1 mile per hour
    cars running out of gas from sitting hours on end doing nothing but idling
    folks having to stop for comfort breaks, for them and/or the dog

what a situation

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

my sis and her family took the side roads and country highways outta there. Seems to have helped some.

vCash

I could see myself flipping out and just driving through the grass, like on "Independence Day".

vCash

how about running out of gas in a traffic jam, with no gas to be found? that would kinda suck.

Awesoministrator

vCash

This is when it would pay to have a motorcycle or a bicycle.

any bets on whether Beano pulls a Norm upon his return?
    god bless em, seriously you have to know they are miserable right now

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    This is when it would pay to have a motorcycle or a bicycle.
    or a helicopter.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash

Gonna ride a bicycle from Houston to Dallas?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish
    My SIL reported they've made it 40 miles in eight hours.

Ugh.

With 7 and 5-year-old girls, a dalmation and a Tahoe packed with stuff. That's gotta be miserable.
    See.. if I am there, I dunno. Being faced with that situation, I'd wait til the freakin hurricane was landing to drive off. Or even brave it out.

I'm not a huge risk-taker usually, but the thought of being stuck in traffic like that, scares me almost more than the hurricane itself. Maybe more so.

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

God, I hope all you guys are okay after this.

Check back in as soon as possible, please.

Oh, they can't hear me can they...durrr...

Awesoministrator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Why would I go all the way to Dallas?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    I'm riding mine to Refugio Creek.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    how about running out of gas in a traffic jam, with no gas to be found? that would kinda suck.
    Either the mayor or the governor stated that they were going to start running gas trucks to get to the cars that were low and/or out of gas. I haven't heard or seen anything else since then concerning it.

We are seeing lots of pics of broken down cars right now. There is one area of town where local mechanics that were going to ride out the storm are actually taking time from their own schedules and helping fix the cars.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

They are talking about the tanker trucks because the gas stations on 45 are running out. Lines are a couple of miles long for gas.

My friend's son left at 6PM last night. In the middle of the night, the driver behind him fell asleep and hit his car. Not much damage at 10 mph. He isn't even a 1/4 of the way to Dallas as of now..

The school District cancelled Camp Classen for next week. They are worried about wind damage and the heavy rain.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

My cousin from Houston emailed me a little while ago. They tried to leave this morning and decided to tough it out because they weren't able to go anywhere.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Norm In Norman
    My cousin from Houston emailed me a little while ago. They tried to leave this morning and decided to tough it out because they weren't able to go anywhere.
    Basically what we are being told is not to evac if you aren't in an evac zone. That way the people who definately need to evac can. My wife and I are going to tough it out, and so is all of our neighbors. We've gotten our "plan of action" down for the next few days amongst ourselves.

The thing that cracks me up the most is the 20-something kid that owns the house next to us bought his emergency supplies today - BEER. That's all just bought some beer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Norm In Norman
    we just spoke with my sis who was planning on being here late tonight. they too decided to go back home in Bellaire. they went on the back roads and hit a stand still, took them nearly 9 hours to go 30 miles near Conroe. my bro in law's President told him he drove out west towards San Antonio so he got a reservation in Corpus Christi. They're going to head out there tomorrow.