Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Re: I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    This is strictly a one season and sayonara thing. OKC could never support a team for the long term, mainly because the NBA sucks.
    Well, they won't be going back to New Orleans in the next couple years at least.

OKC is basically Charlotte. It could work for a couple years.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Well, they won't be going back to New Orleans in the next couple years at least.

I believe that I agree 100%. I just came from a meeting with an NBA vice-president who says they now (very) conservatively believe, just based on first-day ticket sales, that every game will be around 90% attendance. By this morning, 3500 people had made ticket deposits. They were HOPING for 2000 by Sunday. It has blown away all of the NBA's expectations. He also said the corporate support has been far more than expected.

While it might not be the Hornets (although it very possibly will be, due to the fact NOLA won't be NBA-ready for some time), I am fairly optimistic that there will be an NBA franchise here for some time.

What I have talked about on this site before is that MAPs funded an arena that the city owns free and clear. There is no debt on the facility, which might be unique in the NBA (I'm not certain). This allows the city to provide an aggressive lease that no other cities can match. Combined with the low cost of doing business in OKC, this meant ticket prices could be among the lowest in the league. If OKC can average 10,000+ attendance for more than a decade with 2A hockey at $10 - $15 a seat, we can do 15,000 plus for NBA ball at $10-$30 a seat for most of the arena.

When you combine that with the fact that OKC is the largest U.S. market with no major-league franchise, and very little competition for the entertainment dollar, I think the NBA is here for more than a year.

And, BTW, I HOPE the camera adds 30 pounds, 'cause that was one fat bastard on my TV screen.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

And, BTW, I believe that 90% of the Ford Center's capacity for roundball is more than 17,000. NOLA was averaging about 14,000. You do the math and tell me whether the NBA might be looking at a permanent team here.
    Well, crap.

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

I believe I have not been posting in a great way today and I apologize for that.

I also believe that the man is keeping me down.

I believe .

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed
    And, BTW, I believe that 90% of the Ford Center's capacity for roundball is more than 17,000. NOLA was averaging about 14,000. You do the math and tell me whether the NBA might be looking at a permanent team here.

I believe that if Golden State moved somewhere that their attendance would be vastly improved for the first year.

But after a 20 win season...well....people will start to go disappear....

Never gonna give you up
    vCash

I believe I watched channel 9 last night and didn't see BRJ.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Oh, and I believe the contract calls for the city and local investors to MAKE money (rather than kick in) if the Hornets earn an amount equal 105% of their local revenues from last year. That will require around 14,700 average attendance and corporate sponsorship dollars equal 105% of the sponsorship dollars in NOLA.

Considering the fact that local corporate participation is apparently blowing the doors off their expectations, and the NBA is now projecting 17,000 or more average game attendance, I think that it's looking pretty likely that the city and local investors will actually MAKE money on this year's deal, and that at the very least substanital local subsidy now looks very unlikely.

I believe the Mayor and Council are going to look like freaking geniuses on this one.
    Well, crap.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino

I believe Charlotte is in North Carolina, Mr. Geography Bee.

vCash

I believe Charlotte is in Dallas, but she asked we not talk about her, Mr. Insensitive.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTrombone
    I believe that if Golden State moved somewhere that their attendance would be vastly improved for the first year.

But after a 20 win season...well....people will start to go disappear....
    I believe you're right. I also believe that would be true of just about any city. You obviously hope for a winning team at some point. But I think to just assume that OKC fans would abandon a mediocre or bad team any worse than, say, Memphis or Sacramento or Charlotte without any evidence to base it on is pure guesswork.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I do believe Charlotte has a natural advantage based on how big basketball is in North Carolina. However, many make the case that an NFL franchise wouldn't work here because of how big OU football is. You could say the same thing about Charlotte and NCAA hoops.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

I was surprised by Tulsa radio this morning....at least the hosts were happy and planned on making a few bus trips down to OKC for the games.

If OKC isn't big enough for pro sports then they need to put one the next team in Stroud.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jimminy Crimson
    I believe in the Honeybees!

And... ...I believe -- uh -- I know for a fact -- they are leaving these girls behind and will be auditioning an entirely new staff of Honeybees, from here in OKC. I'll keep posted.

Uh, I mean, I'll keep everybody posted.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I believe this thread has one more day in it.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

I believe that an after-work SO suaree is being planned for Jed's birthday next Wednesday. Place TBA.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I believe that 3 of us just laid down $6000 for seats.

WTF am I thinking?
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I believe that we will be 20 feet fom the hardwood with an unobstructed view. I also believe that bigredsooner was the goofball quoted in Sunday's paper as being the first person to yell "go Hornets!"
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I believe that Rhino's avatar is currently rocking my face off, especially in this thread.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

I believe that Bevo Stevo is trying to talk trash in PEEMS to me.

I believe I laugh my *** off at them