Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Fire Brian Britt

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    Although the way they are ruining the Pride is very unprofessional of them.
    I agree.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

this thread sucks

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    the cuz the greater majority of you band members are tools and yes men cuz you wanna be like him.... you are little nerdy band geeks unlike the members of the old PRIDE who were just good musicians that could play louder and prouder than you weak lipped sissies today..
    so, do your lips hurt from playing a trumpet or Brits meathorn during the weekdays?
    Oh, that hurts. I just am a weak-lipped band nerd/geek that isn't a good musician like all of the former band members.[/sarcasm]

If we weren't enjoying Pride, we wouldn't be showing up to rehearsals early and leaving late (okay, so that's mostly fooseball and frisbee as opposed to rehearsing and practicing), joining music-associated organizations in addition to Pride, or returning so many members every year.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

look badger, this isn't a personal attack on you okay, just the majority of fans that attend football games who have been through the good times and bad think the pride pretty much sucks. thats the bottom line..
    The band used to be kick *** now its just weak.. That is all.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

Re: this thread sucks

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Oh, that hurts. I just am a weak-lipped band nerd/geek that isn't a good musician like all of the former band members.[/sarcasm]

If we weren't enjoying Pride, we wouldn't be showing up to rehearsals early and leaving late (okay, so that's mostly fooseball and frisbee as opposed to rehearsing and practicing), joining music-associated organizations in addition to Pride, or returning so many members every year.
    I showed up for pride rehearsals/gamedays for two years and I wasn't enjoying it 99% of the time.
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PhxSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: this thread sucks

Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    I showed up for pride rehearsals/gamedays for two years and I wasn't enjoying it 99% of the time.
    I enjoyed it, but I spent a good chunk of time flirting and trolling for dates.

vCash

funny--i spent most of my time being stalked by/turning down a ****tard in my section...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

HA!

vCash

attend this concert!

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    look badger, this isn't a personal attack on you okay, just the majority of fans that attend football games who have been through the good times and bad think the pride pretty much sucks. thats the bottom line..
    The band used to be kick *** now its just weak.. That is all.
    I'm not here to defend myself, I'm here defending the Pride. I wouldn't be defending Pride on here if I didn't think we were getting better and things were going better than they have in the past few years... after all, I have been one to speak out when I have not agreed with how things were going, as some on here can testify to.

I have read all of your comments (all 21 pages on another thread and 5 pages here, as well as threads from past years), but I have also talked to people in person on how impressed they have been with how we have performed this year.

---
    On a completely unrelated matter, the university bands will be hosting a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina victims Tuesday night. Here is an article giving information:
    Link!

It's only $5 and it goes to a good cause.

vCash

funny--i spent most of my time being stalked by/turning down a ****tard in my section...

See, you should have been a flag girl.

vCash

Re: attend this concert!

I'm not here to defend myself, I'm here defending the Pride. I wouldn't be defending Pride on here if I didn't think we were getting better and things were going better than they have in the past few years... after all, I have been one to speak out when I have not agreed with how things were going, as some on here can testify to.

I have read all of your comments (all 21 pages on another thread and 5 pages here, as well as threads from past years), but I have also talked to people in person on how impressed they have been with how we have performed this year.
    really? well I'm glad you speak out and I'm glad you think things are going better (though I personally disagree) and I'm glad you've talked to people who are impressed with the Pride this year.

I've talked to a lot of people who think the pride sounds and marches like crap this year. You can't defend opinions with more opinions. great that you think everything is going fine--I'm glad you're having fun. I will acknowledge and accept that if you'll acknowledge and accept that I (and others) think the pride sounds/looks almost worse than our football team does this year.

vCash

You can't defend opinions with more opinions.
    This journalist agrees, it is time for some facts rather than hearsay opinions:

FACT: The Pride has approx. 320 members.

This is up from around 290 just two years ago. If university leaders thought the band quality was diminishing, numbers would not rise (OU has to fund for more members to sit in the stands and go on band trips, etc). If members thought the band quality was diminishing the numbers would not rise.

FACT: The 320-member Pride has approx. 200 returning members.

You will find that while there are reasons that force people to give up band (graduation, class conflict), there is little reason to be forced to STAY in band (uhm, parents forcing you to?). Members are returning because they are enjoying their time in band, not because they have to be there.

FACT: The Pride chartered to UCLA, a six-figure endeavor.

OU funded (to the tune of $100 thou) for a 120-member pep band to fly charter out to UCLA this season. Also, 50-member pep bands of the past (two years ago to ISU, for example) have grown to 100 (Baylor and Tech last year, Kansas and UCLA this year), even 200-member (A&M last year) pep bands. If the band program was diminishing in quality, where would the support for these expensive (charter buses aren't cheap, neither is putting up lodging and tickets for 100-200 people plus staff) trips be? Why are these expensive trips receiving more support recently?

That's the facts backing up that the band program is still a well-respected, well-led organization. A poorly-led, declining program wouldn't be enjoying all the perks members receive now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

You know...From what I know of Britt and a GA or two I knew under him and watching the cabal on game day. I think it is a Brian Britt/Pride Director Groupie mutual admiration society more into the trappings of being in charge and running an organization that is about the nuances of the organization and musicality, rather than pleasing fans or blowing your arse off with lots of brass (which by the way the fans want!).

I remember playing against the Florida State band years ago and the compliment we gave them was that we could hear their woodwinds...

Just sayin' IMO. My wife used to be a public H.S. Band director until she got tired of the shi'ite of working in public schools. I saw the same thing there and at other programs that I see in the Pride leadership today...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

This journalist agrees, it is time for some facts rather than hearsay opinions:

FACT: The Pride has approx. 320 members.

This is up from around 290 just two years ago. If university leaders thought the band quality was diminishing, numbers would not rise (OU has to fund for more members to sit in the stands and go on band trips, etc). If members thought the band quality was diminishing the numbers would not rise.
    members don't know the band quality is diminishing and obviously university leaders don't think that, as evidenced by your statement. Methinks that's the main complaint people have been voicing...

FACT: The 320-member Pride has approx. 200 returning members.

You will find that while there are reasons that force people to give up band (graduation, class conflict), there is little reason to be forced to STAY in band (uhm, parents forcing you to?). Members are returning because they are enjoying their time in band, not because they have to be there.
    music ed majors are required to have 2 years in pride. and trips to bowl games (the only reason I kept doing pride for 2 years)

FACT: The Pride chartered to UCLA, a six-figure endeavor.

OU funded (to the tune of $100 thou) for a 120-member pep band to fly charter out to UCLA this season.
    to my knowledge that was funded by donors (aka old people who remember when the pride was good and when the football team was good WAY before stoops was here.)

Also, 50-member pep bands of the past (two years ago to ISU, for example) have grown to 100 (Baylor and Tech last year, Kansas and UCLA this year), even 200-member (A&M last year) pep bands. If the band program was diminishing in quality, where would the support for these expensive (charter buses aren't cheap, neither is putting up lodging and tickets for 100-200 people plus staff) trips be? Why are these expensive trips receiving more support recently?
    because the band's so weak they need twice as many people to produce half the volume a 50 person pep band would have 5 years ago.

vCash

Re-iterating what I said, eh? Well, I'll take the bait once more before bedtime.

members don't know the band quality is diminishing and obviously university leaders don't think that, as evidenced by your statement. Methinks that's the main complaint people have been voicing...
    University leaders receive numerous complaints about numerous things. Unless there were a lot of complaints voiced (such as the bombing response - the complaints sent to the Daily were likely a fraction of what was sent to the President's office if it forced him to write two letters to the editor and release the FBI's full investigation report), things are not going to change. The way things are being supported suggests that there are actually more compliments than complaints.

music ed majors are required to have 2 years in pride. and trips to bowl games (the only reason I kept doing pride for 2 years)
    Forced to go to bowl games? Probably not, but there are many music majors who have stayed in Pride for longer than two years.

to my knowledge that was funded by donors (aka old people who remember when the pride was good and when the football team was good WAY before stoops was here.)
    To my knowledge the original funding was for the entire band to go, but the university and band leaders decided to spend the extra money differently within the university. If donors put the check up for the trip, wouldn't it have to go to the trip as originally planned?

because the band's so weak they need twice as many people to produce half the volume a 50 person pep band would have 5 years ago.
    again, if the band was weak, they wouldn't bother sending anyone.

good night, everyone!

vCash

Re-iterating what I said, eh? Well, I'll take the bait once more before bedtime.
    University leaders receive numerous complaints about numerous things. Unless there were a lot of complaints voiced (such as the bombing response - the complaints sent to the Daily were likely a fraction of what was sent to the President's office if it forced him to write two letters to the editor and release the FBI's full investigation report), things are not going to change. The way things are being supported suggests that there are actually more compliments than complaints.
    from what I've heard, the powers that be got a few hundred complaints last year from concerned fans.

Forced to go to bowl games? Probably not, but there are many music majors who have stayed in Pride for longer than two years.
    i didn't mean forced to go to bowl games, i meant that was another motivation to stay in pride.

To my knowledge the original funding was for the entire band to go, but the university and band leaders decided to spend the extra money differently within the university. If donors put the check up for the trip, wouldn't it have to go to the trip as originally planned?
    as i heard, it was donor money and they coudn't get enough to pay for the entire band to go (as they originally thought they would.)

Brewmaster

vCash

OK, don't take this personally - I love the Pride, but here's my view:

Actually, large trips are not increasing. Aside from the standard bussing 50 people to every away game, in 1999 we flew 50 people to Louisville, flew the entire band to Notre Dame, in 2000 we all went to A&M and had a 10-day, $300,000 trip to Miami, 2001 we sent 100 to Air Force and the whole band to Nebraska...

Increasing numbers in the Pride are just an indicator that the Pride no longer cuts anyone, thus dragging down the talent level of the whole band. I'm in favor of the Ohio State method - cap the band at 250 regardless of how many want to join. I've been the one making cuts, and the directors wouldn't let us cut anyone unless they just fell over when they tried to march and play at the same time. They want as many bodies out there as they can get. I've heard a section of 23 bones sound bigger than the 100 member pep bands they send out now.

Oh, and all the funds for the Pride's trips to the away games comes from the athletic department - and if they're qualified to judge the quality of a musical group I'll eat my master's degree.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    Increasing numbers in the Pride are just an indicator that the Pride no longer cuts anyone, thus dragging down the talent level of the whole band. I'm in favor of the Ohio State method - cap the band at 250 regardless of how many want to join.
    the quantity over quality argument.... kinda like when they had non pride members check out pride uniforms just so there would be more people who could go play at the baseball game last year.

vCash

I do know that after the John Hancock Bowl debacle of '93, bowl attendance was no longer optional for the band (at least under Coach). Of course, there was only one more bowl after that until 1999...

vCash

the quantity over quality argument.... kinda like when they had non pride members check out pride uniforms just so there would be more people who could go play at the baseball game last year.
    You have got to be kidding.

Brewmaster

vCash

Nah, they did the same thing with the dome dedication ceremony at the State Capitol.
    ... that's not food.