Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Landthief 1972's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Very funny, scotty. now beam down my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron
    If this year's line is anything like 2001's, we're going to need someone of Leinart's ability to average 36 pts a game.
    I'm not saying that he never made a bad decision, cuz he did, but when N8 had time or off the play action, he did pretty well.
    The difference is, unlike Hybl under pressure from the D, both ENA and Bomar can move faster than George Castanza on a Rascal mobile chair.
    Certainly, without a doubt, this is my signature, and I wrote it in a great way.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Landthief 1972
    The difference is, unlike Hybl under pressure from the D, both ENA and Bomar can move faster than George Castanza on a Rascal mobile chair.
    That is true.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

evens and odds (defense)

on offense i compared it with the worst and, in my mind, most comparable offense. for defense, we are going to compare against the best defense we had to see where we are lacking. without too much argument, the 2001 defense was our best defense of the stoops era, though it was prone to some massive breakdowns on the back end mainly against "the" roberson.

DE - BJW is a magician at finding, teaching, and retaining defensive ends especially that under-appreciated 3* guy. his success with the 5* guy has been pretty bad as neither have made a contribution at DE (latimer is the starting MLB but chretien never saw the field). what? he's coaching the secondary? ack. let's look at what kind of horses he left mr. wilson in the stable. our DEs for that year were heinecke, wilkerson, and jackson (with cody out for clinical depression). this year we are going to have burdine, ah you, and thibs. once again, we have a position that is deeper, older, more talented, but not as experienced as our comparison year. the 2001 DEs were prototypical for a cover 2 defense. you had the rock steady run-stopping heinecke on the strong side and the speedy, athletic pass rushing wilkerson on the weak side. this allows you to help neutralize the blocker advantage on the TE side freeing up the MLB and the SLB to make the plays.

this year's bunch compares very favorably across the board to the 2001 squad. they have more size, athleticism, and both have the ability to get to the QB. however, i would like to throw out one word of caution about birdine. he is far and away our most likely to continue the early entrant streak. the last time a young DE had thoughts about this in the spring, he went out and had a bad bad year (wilkerson in 2002).

wilkerson < birdine (basically, the same player but 2 years difference in experience)
    heinecke ~ ah you - i haven't seen him play, but he can get to the QB
    jackson < thibs - as long as his knee is okay. thibs is a great run stopping DE

DT - it was always amazing to me that our 2001 was as stout as it was with how weak it was in the interior. our best DL that year was a true freshman who tended to disappear after the first couple of series (except for clipping someone unnecessarily and taking a TD away from TGRW ). our line that year looked like this - kory klein, tommie harris, juan prishker, dusty dvoracek. our line this year is dvoracek, ayodele, pendleton, and either coleman or one of the freshman.

harris <<< dvoracek (tr freshman vs rs senior)
    klein << ayodele (this is assuming that ayodele improves like most jucos. rs soph vs senior)
    dvoracek < pendleton (pendleton is a very smart DT but he just doesn't have the lead yet to be a force RS SO vs TR FR)
    prishker ~ freshman (juan was hurt most of his career at OU so it would probably be a wash)

the only thing that really bothers me about our OL is that the DTs are getting penetration without DD in there. the last several years, i've complained about our DL being massively overrated. well, i guess the shoe is on the other foot now because this DL has a chance to be very very good if burdine has prepared himself to play into being drafted instead of thinking he can be drafted on reputation like wilkerson did. the key thing about this DL is that it fits the mold of a cover 2 DL better than our Ds of the last couple of years. because of the size on the front, we should be able to better occupy blockers to allow our linebackers to lay waste to some running backs. we should have more push in the interior pass rush which will make the ends more effective than they are normally.

linebackers - i don't have to say much about these guys because this is the best linebacking unit of the stoops era. depth concerns me a little, well no a lot. venables as a linebacker recruiter is very similar to rob deere - he either hits it out of the park or they fail miserably. in the last several years, we've had multiple transfers (from OU and to fullback and safety ) and the unfortunate loss of chambers. my thinking has become as long as he can have 3 superstars on the field through the entire season, i'm okay with his recruiting style .

calmus = rufus (these two are as close as they come)
    lehman = latimer (personally, i think this should be > to latimer because lehman overran more tackles than he made that year)
    moore << ingram (not really fair since moore didn't see the field as much)

can't wait to see ingram coming off the edge on one side and birdine on the other.

DB

oh, boy, where do i start. 2 brand new safeties, 1 corner with an injured wing, and 1 corner who runs around with 2 wings but no head who is probably going to be supplanted by a corner who was a running back last year. my prediction of 8-4 is based almost entirely upon these guys. yes, part of it is how well they protect back end but most of it is how well they generate INTs. if we want to make a run at the rose bowl, these guys have to get our O into short field situations, they have to tackle well, and they have to keep the over the top crap to a minimum.

i'm probably in the minority here, but i always felt that mike's teaching of defensive backs hurt you later in the season. they were taught to do things a certain way regardless of whether they were good at it or not. sometimes i felt that you could run the same play 10x in a row and it would work every time (see OSU 2002). pelini exasperated the situation because he wanted them to learn new things to go along with the mike stoops fundamentals. they started thinking too much and were torch city.

enter BJW - he has always been someone who catered things to what the player does best. the DEs also tended to get better throughout the season. if he can work that kind of magic on our secondary it may be the strong point of our defense at the end of the season.

derrick strait > walker
    perkins > chijioke
    everage > debo
    TGRW >>>>>> baker

rut roh raggy.

as a whole...

in general, having a great back 7 is worth more advantage to your DL than having a great front 7 is for your secondary. the question is whether venables can come up with the jedi mind trick defense that stoops had in 2001. that defense forced teams to beat their heads against calmus and TGRW without exploiting anyone else. i'll readjust this after the first game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Statalyzer's Avatar
    vCash

Good analogy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Landthief 1972
    hybl was pretty good under pressure until he took 6 straight shots in the ribs from that unblocked kstate DE. after that, he was just gun shy as crap under pressure.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

About time for the analysis, but you still can't have your clothes until you break down special teams
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

i'll be naked for a couple more weeks then

vCash

good thing it's late summer
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

pfft, its been 65 more days than not this august

vCash

it's like 65 year round there

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    hybl was pretty good under pressure until he took 6 straight shots in the ribs from that unblocked kstate DE. after that, he was just gun shy as crap under pressure.
    Those hits still hurt me and I was sitting on a chair in Houston.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

jkm, I've seen AhYou, and he's just about as big a DE as I've ever seen. He'll be a playmaker, hopefully. Also, you said Lehman overran a lot of plays at MLB? Well, Latimer's done the same, or at least he did in the spring. I haven't heard much about him since, so he's either still doing it, or has improved enough to hide it.

Lewis Baker is apparently getting his assignments right all the time now, which makes me think we won't QUITE have mental cripples back there... With any luck, Smith and Harris will be awesome and we can switch them out if one has a bad game.

The corners actually look better this year. DJ plays the wide side, which is Walker's area, and he's actually pressing for a starting role from what it looks like. Unfortunately, the only one behind CO is Bassey, and... well, ****. But without Pellini to mumble about 8,000,000 different things and confuse him, CO looks a lot better. Interesting point about getting better as the season goes on...
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PalmBeachSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Red-shirting Rhett won't be out of the question. It definitely won't happen this year, but maybe next year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

That would be true, if it weren't for the fact that he's already redshirted.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Comparing the 2005 defensive backfield to the 2001 backfield through the prism of hindsight is a bit unfair. I think the better comparison would be comparing this years defense to the 2000 defense.....before the start of the season and before we knew how good the freshmen and sophomore players were going to be.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

pfft, its been 65 more days than not this august
    You must live up here in the pacific northwest

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
    I don't know squat about the temperament of Bomar.. but.. if Thompson wins the quarterback derby (and he has 2 years of eligibility left?)... does Bomar possibly become a locker room cancer? Nothing along the lines of Terrell Owens of course, but, will there be some issues that Stoops will need to nip in the bud?
    Thompson's a junior due to redshirting last year. He's got this year and next year. And I'm willing to bet that if Thompson becomes the starter this year, he'll get the nod next year, too. The upside of that: Rhett gets two more years to learn the system before starting.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Can't really blame the guy. I'll never forget him lofting the ball down the middle for a 40+ TD and staggering to the wrong end zone cause he got totally wasted after he let go of the ball. I'm not sure he knew what country he was in for a while.

Dude took more than his fair share for the team on that day IMO.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TXBOOMER's Avatar
    vCash

I'll never forget freezing my arse off at the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas watching Hybl stink it up bad. I hope whichever one of OUr QB's that end up starting far surpass Nate's underachieving career at OU. I keep hoping Bomar can live up to the hype (JW with good knee's). He might one day....I think perhaps we are expecting a little much a little soon from him. If PT gives us the best chance to win let's go with it. One thing for sure, Stoops will play who gives us the best chance to win.

JKM...Nice breakdown except Bush>>>>>Carter. I'll have to wait and see that one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

I'll never forget sitting in a comfortable chair during the Sugar Bowl watching Jason White stink it up bad...with better talent surrounding him.