Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Very funny, scotty. now beam down my clothes.

odds and evens (offense)

QB race

its very similar to the hybl/white race of 2001. the more experienced QB is playing it safe, not making mistakes while the youngster is going hog wild. talent level favors the youngster but decision making favors the vet. of course, there is one wild card here and that is that the vet is a gamer, not a practice player while the youngster seems to be the opposite. the youngster can sit back and just torch the defense in skelly drills but then presses way to much in the scrimmages. what is the verdict? personally, i think it will be the UCLA game before we have a legit starter. why is that? because i think 2001 still haunts stoops, especially after watching hybl progress the next year. personally, i don't think he cares who wins but he wants each QB to rub off on the other - he wants thompson to be more aggressive and he wants bomar to be more careful with the ball. keeping the competition open into the first couple of games will help that.

the biggest question marks that i have about thompson are does he have the vision to see the wide open guy and can he be accurate enough to hit the short slant in stride. strange, these were hybl's biggest weaknesses too. in this offense, with AD there is always going to be someone open. the ability to find that guy and allow him to do his thing is the major difference between a 24 ppg offense ans a 36 ppg offense.

the biggest question marks about bomar are decision making and memory. does he have the ability to be patient for the wide open guy or does he take the first available decent option? the latter is what gives young QBs trouble because they think they have the talent to squeeze the ball in there and instead it gets picked. why is memory in here? because you can't lose confidence in yourself no matter how bad of a day you are having. from reading between the lines, bomar presses during scrimmages and then gets frustrated when something bad happens. just like a shooter in basketball, the last pass, no matter how ugly it was, has to be a completion in your mind. just like white before him, he is struggling with both of these early in his career.

i think the one advantage that thompson has, and it will be his biggest asset in games, is his ability to fake the ball, whether in the zone read, play-action or in the open field. why? because guys who are deceptive are incredibly hard to stop in the college game. a player can be deceptive in many ways - he can be deceptive athletically like brad smith or barry sanders or he can be deceptive optically like paul seems to be. from what i've seen he is just good at with the zone read, but if he adds a pump fake and perfects his play-action fake he very well could be one of "those guys". for anyone who has played football you know the guy i'm talking about. the guy who is 10 yards past the LOS and pumps his arm like he is going to throw and you join the parachute club. you know he can't throw, you know its a fake, but your body jumps anyway. he does a play action fake and the cameraman gets you dizzy trying to find the ball.

as far as talent level compared to the 2001 team, i think that thompson and hybl are about the same right now (thompson less passing, but more running) and bomar is a little behind white(white had an extra year for the decision making). however, i think that both QBs should progress faster than white and hybl (who were injury plagued all year) if they can stay healthy.

OL
    in 2001, we trotted out romero, duncan, carter, skinner, and jerod fields. this year we are trotting out joseph, chaisson, bush, chester, and millington.

romero > joseph (both are injury prone so watch out)
    duncan = chaisson
    bush >>>>> carter
    chester = skinner
    millington ~ fields (conventional wisdom says he'll be better)
    moses >>>>> tsmith (blocking only)

are we as good as last year? no. are we better than we were in 2001, yes. i'd compare this OL to 2002 or 2003 which bodes well for a running game.

WRs

2001 we had fagan, norman, woolfolk, tsmith with mackey and savage rotating in. this year we are going to have wilson, rankins, kelly, moses, and some other freshman rotating in. wilson is the best receiver out of the bunch and it isn't close. he can run any route, can catch the ball in traffic, and while he doesn't have breakaway speed he can still hurt you after the catch. rankins is a huge question mark for me because while he has some skill he has yet to play a 1/2 of a season without getting hurt. the freshmen are also a big unknown. i just don't think any of us would be able to handle both of them dropping the winning TD pass like texas's highly touted freshmen did.

running backs

AD makes everyone better than what they are. every key for the defense starts and ends with AD. the question is whether chuck utilizes this fact to give an advantage to the other offensive players against the defense or whether we try our current brute force attack. if we just line up and try smash-mouth, i'd be shocked if AD lasts throughout the season.

punt returner

this position needs to be open until they find someone who has a knack for it. by knack i mean consistent 10+ yards per return.

overall

as you can see, our offense is a conundrum. yes, we lost a lot of talent, but on the other hand we have a lot more talent returning than we did in our worst offensive campaign under stoops (2001). of course, the 2001 offense also enjoyed a bunch of defensive points and short fields. although i won't know for sure until after i see some of our newbies in action, i'm thinking ~30 ppg

Re: Very funny, scotty. now beam down my clothes.

very nice....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

i think the one advantage that thompson has, and it will be his biggest asset in games, is his ability to fake the ball, whether in the zone read, play-action or in the open field. why? because guys who are deceptive are incredibly hard to stop in the college game. a player can be deceptive in many ways - he can be deceptive athletically like brad smith or barry sanders or he can be deceptive optically like paul seems to be. from what i've seen he is just good at with the zone read, but if he adds a pump fake and perfects his play-action fake he very well could be one of "those guys". for anyone who has played football you know the guy i'm talking about. the guy who is 10 yards past the LOS and pumps his arm like he is going to throw and you join the parachute club. you know he can't throw, you know its a fake, but your body jumps anyway. he does a play action fake and the cameraman gets you dizzy trying to find the ball.
    This is definitely something I love about PT. He fakes that zone read play like a champ.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

A serious, non-flaming questions to you Sooners.

I don't know squat about the temperament of Bomar.. but.. if Thompson wins the quarterback derby (and he has 2 years of eligibility left?)... does Bomar possibly become a locker room cancer? Nothing along the lines of Terrell Owens of course, but, will there be some issues that Stoops will need to nip in the bud?

In Pacem Requiescat --- October 5, 2003 - October 18, 2010.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerWood's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r

I don't know squat about the temperament of Bomar.. but.. if Thompson wins the quarterback derby (and he has 2 years of eligibility left?)... does Bomar possibly become a locker room cancer? Nothing along the lines of Terrell Owens of course, but, will there be some issues that Stoops will need to nip in the bud?
    No.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Interesting, almost surreal reinactment of the Hybl-White contest. When you look at it with 20/20 hindsight, it's hard to believe Hybl could have been picked in that deal. I don't think their careers could have turned out any more differently.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

I'm sure Rhett knows he'll get his chance, whether it be this year, next, or the next two. He's an asset on the sideline, too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner
    Interesting, almost surreal reinactment of the Hybl-White contest. When you look at it with 20/20 hindsight, it's hard to believe Hybl could have been picked in that deal. I don't think their careers could have turned out any more differently.
    No kiddin. If you'd've seen their regular season performances and then heard that one of them was a BCS Bowl MVP, you probably wouldn't guess Hybl. Unless you thought it was a trick question.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jimminy Crimson
    I'm sure Rhett knows he'll get his chance, whether it be this year, next, or the next two. He's an asset on the sideline, too.
    One play away.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r

its always the 64 million dollar question. i think the one thing that stoops needs to do if rhett doesn't win the starting job is circle the kstate game. we've played them 5 times under stoops and thrice we've had a QB barely able to stand after the game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    odds and evens (offense)

OL
    in 2001, we trotted out romero, duncan, carter, skinner, and jerod fields. this year we are trotting out joseph, chaisson, bush, chester, and millington.

romero > joseph (both are injury prone so watch out)
    Does this need an edit, or do you really feel romero is/was better than Davin.

Frank was good, but I would have scored it romero << joseph.

And has Davin ever missed a game (or an assignment for that matter) due to injury?

Enquiring minds want to know...

"How did you find me?"

"I'm the man."

Thrill as Bob Stoops turns the knobs and adjusts the dials of his latest killing machine...

-Dr. Saturday

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Wasn't it Romero who never allowed a QB sack in 2000?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

How do we know the coaches won't choose PT and let Bomar get butt callouses on the bench ala PT in 2003?

I don't know if it's Long or Stoops but one of the two is very reluctant to get the backup QB into the game unless the Sooners are up by 4 scores.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Romero graded out higher in 2001 than Joseph did in 2004.
    2001: 0 sacks, 92 knockdowns
    2000: 2 sacks, 82 knockdowns
    1999: 2 sacks

vCash

romero was a very solid tackle while davin hasn't ever played the position. i just don't see how you can rank a guy who was an AA candidate until he hurt his back below a guy who has never played the position, no matter how good he was at OL. personally, i'm not holding injuries against a guy if he only has 1 bad season, if they are chronic then its a different story. if he turns out better than romero, so much better for us.

davin has had an ankle injury every year he has been at OU. you can get away with that injury at guard, it happens at tackle and they are going to feast on you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma
    How do we know the coaches won't choose PT and let Bomar get butt callases on the bench ala PT in 2003?

I don't know if it's Long or Stoops but one of the two is very reluctant to get the backup QB into the game unless the Sooners are up by 4 scores.
    in 2001, they let hybl and white split time unevenly(3 qtrs:1 qtr) the first couple of games.

vCash

i absolutely hate when they say this because both romero and jamal had a BUNCH of holding penalties during their streaks. i understand that the penalty is better than getting your QB destroyed, but it should at least be counted so that you can gauge the guys effectiveness

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

Thanks for the comparison analysis, jkm. I only hope it's accurate.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

If this year's line is anything like 2001's, we're going to need someone of Leinart's ability to average 36 pts a game.
    I'm not saying that he never made a bad decision, cuz he did, but when N8 had time or off the play action, he did pretty well.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

football makes me happy in my pants.