Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Question I'm I the only Sooner fan that would trade......

One of our football National Championships for one in basketball? I still get a sick feeling when I think about the 88 title game.

vCash

Re: I'm I the only Sooner fan that would trade......

I guess I am a party of one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

I need some clarification. Are you saying you'd trade in one for a NC this year (or the near future) or are you saying you'd trade one to have the '88 one in the trophy case?

I might trade a FB NC to win a basketball NC in the next coupla years. Hopefully we won't have to, though.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner24
    One of our football National Championships for one in basketball? I still get a sick feeling when I think about the 88 title game.
    I'm as big of an OU basketball fan as there is, but you can't mess w/football. The 88 team had their chance & couldn't quite pull it out. That's just the way it goes. Who knows maybe one day we'll pull a Kansas on somebody else.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

I'd make the trade. Maybe one of the "consecutive" years (55, 56, 74, or 75). The football team would be in about the same position it is now, cause the history would still be just fine, but the basketball program wouldn't have that "never won the big one" stigma.
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

I'd trade the '75 national championship for one in '88.

The '88 basketball team was far and away the best in the country. They just played the wrong team on the wrong night in the wrong town. Play it anywhere else and we drill them, just like we did the previous two times we played them that season.

OU will never field a football team as lucky as the '75 squad. They should've tied Colorado and lost to Missouri. Kansas beat them by 20 and a late touchdown by Horace Ivory against Texas very easily could've been ruled out of bounds. To top it all off, they needed an Ohio State loss in the Rose Bowl just for the opportunity to play for the national title.

In terms of who deserves what:
    '88 > '75

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04

The '88 basketball team was far and away the best in the country. They just played the wrong team on the wrong night in the wrong town. Play it anywhere else and we drill them, just like we did the previous two times we played them that season.

OU will never field a football team as lucky as the '75 squad. They should've tied Colorado and lost to Missouri. Kansas beat them by 20 and a late touchdown by Horace Ivory against Texas very easily could've been ruled out of bounds. To top it all off, they needed an Ohio State loss in the Rose Bowl just for the opportunity to play for the national title.

'88 > '75
    While I would not surrender an NC in football to redeem the '88 b-ball team your point is well taken, I have often said the '75 team was our least deserving number one.I too hope someday that we sneak up and pull a DANNY AND THE MIRACLES on someone and get that elusive b-ball title soon.
    Could we give up a gymnastics title instead?
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

you are not alone 24. 88 was my most painful sports loss ever. i don't think anything could touch it.

even still, it makes me angry. uuhh.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    you are not alone 24. 88 was my most painful sports loss ever. i don't think anything could touch it.

OU has NEVER lost a football game that hurt me like that 88 Title game does.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

not even close.

i've posted it before but the cruel irony of losing to Kansas at ****ing Kemper Arena makes me want to stab a rusty fork in the back of my hand.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Me too.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

That 88 Title game was the "FIRST" time I cried about a Sooner game!

vCash

The whole premise of Kansas getting to that game makes me sick. Their region absolutely fell apart, so much so that they had to play a 4-seed, K-State, in the Elite 8 for the right to play in the Final Four. That team had more good karma going for it than any other college basketball team ever. I don't think its close.

And why did it have to be that year? Why couldn't we have played them for the title in the Superdome in '87, or the Kingdome in '89? It just had to be in KC in '88, and for that I will always be sick. It's kinda like playing Miami for the title in the Orange Bowl or LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

Although the latter two won't ever touch the pain of letting the BBall title slip away. You could make a case that Miami and LSU were both better than us that year and you'd probably be right. Fact is we owned KU both times we played them in '88 leading up to the title game and we were in the process of doing it again being up 66-60 with only a few minutes to go.

I'm not sure they missed a shot the rest of the way.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

not even close.

i've posted it before but the cruel irony of losing to Kansas at ****ing Kemper Arena makes me want to stab a rusty fork in the back of my hand.
    Danny Manning was the one I wanted to stab.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJAM
    Danny Manning was the one I wanted to stab.

How about Larry Brown?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

I have this strange feeling that OU is going to win their 1st Basketball National Title before OU wins their 8th National Title in football. Kelvin is getting this program close and it could happen this year. I do agree......88 Basketball was the worst loss in any big time setting, in any sport for OU.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

No trade. Not even if we had 20 Football national titles.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    No trade. Not even if we had 20 Football national titles.

1975 in a heartbeat.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04

'88 > '75
    The '88 situation hurt like hell, but no way does a basketball title measure up to a football championship. Also, I think if a person were actually alive when it happened it means a little more to them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    The '88 situation hurt like hell, but no way does a basketball title measure up to a football championship. Also, I think if a person were actually alive when it happened it means a little more to them.
    Very true about being alive, but if someone asked me for a 2004 football title or an '88 basketball title I'd go with '88 in a heartbeat too.

Just being one of the rare schools to win one in football, basketball and baseball would be so sweet to me.