Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raffy

Raffy

he's about 3 hits shy of 3000........there are only 3 other players in major league history with 500+ home runs and over 3000 hits....

he was always one of my favorite Rangers.........unbelievable there are some writers who think he doesnt belong in the HOF

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Raffy

I don't see any valid reason to keep him out of Cooperstown. I've always liked how smooth and classy he plays the game.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Raffy belongs in the hall with those numbers, and he's still producing in the twilight of his career; it's not like he has hung around and limped to 3000 hits.

has anybody noticed how much slimmer Sammy Sosa looks these days?

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    A lot of players look a lot slimmer this season, and from what i have read, home runs are down from last season and down big time from a few seasons ago

vCash

I wish the Yanks would have gotten him about three years ago.
    My kids rock the flock!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

he's about 3 hits shy of 3000........there are only 3 other players in major league history with 500+ home runs and over 3000 hits....

he was always one of my favorite Rangers.........unbelievable there are some writers who think he doesnt belong in the HOF

There is no way to justify keeping him out of the HOF. The rationale that some people use is that he has played a long time and that didn't play in the post season.

First, playing a long time is PART of the criteria for being in the Hall. A lot of guys put up big numbers for a short time and they aren't in the hall (and shouldn't be).

Second, playing in the post season is not up to one guy. It takes a team to get there. For many guys, playing in the post season and WS is a part of being lucky enough to be on a winning team. The only knock that I have on Palmeiro is that he didn't accept a trade a couple years ago to a contender. But that isn't enough to keep him out of the hall. 3000 hits or 500 homeruns alone should get one to the hall. Together they leave no doubt. The only question (perhaps) will be if he is a first ballot inductee (which he should be) and with what percentage he goes in with (which will probably be in the 85% range).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

I have not, however I have noticed how much slimmer his stats continue to be. Can you say "done"?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Pudge too...
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

yep i saw that....

hmmmm,

i'd love to see Raffy go to the HOF in a Ranger uni, he spent 10 years here, but my guess is that he'll have an Oriole cap on when he's inducted

vCash

yep i saw that....

hmmmm,

i'd love to see Raffy go to the HOF in a Ranger uni, he spent 10 years here, but my guess is that he'll have an Oriole cap on when he's inducted
    Did you know the players no longer have a say in what hat they where in the hall? Wish I could find a link for that...

Here it is...http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0615/1568234.html

The Hall of Fame reserves the right to select which team a player will be identified with for induction. For example, Gary Carter will enter the Hall this summer as a member of the Montreal Expos, even though his wish was to go in as a member of the New York Mets.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

yeah i was aware of that.......there was much discussion as to which uniform paul molitor would wear on his induction.......i think its crazy the player cant choose.......but i suppose the flip side to that is that the player doesnt run the risk of offending one city over another.....let MLB be the fall guy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Blame the likes of Jose Canseco, Wade Boggs, and the freaking Tampa Bay Devi Rays. When they signed with the Devil Rays several years back, their contracts included clauses that stated that if either were voted into the Hall, they'd go in wearing Devil Rays' hats, even though they only played a year or two there.

And yes, I think Raffy deserves to be in the HOF.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Gary Carter was gracious about going in as an Expo. For me he will always be an Expo, and it's right for him to go in as one, since he played his best (and most) baseball up there.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Raffy is automatic for HOF.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

not an automatic HOF, he has never been the best at his position at any point in his career.

he'll get there but he wont be a first ballot, or a second ballot for that matter

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Suspended for ten days

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Rafael Palmeiro, who last month became the fourth member of baseball's 3,000-hit, 500-home run club, will be suspended for violating baseball's drug-testing plan, SI.com's Tom Verducci has confirmed.

The penalty for a first offense is a 10-day suspension without pay. The Orioles will make an announcement at 1:30 p.m. More details are forthcoming. The Players Association released a statement that its grievance on behalf of Palmeiro has been denied by the The Major League Baseball Arbitration Panel.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTrombone
    Suspended for ten days

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Rafael Palmeiro, who last month became the fourth member of baseball's 3,000-hit, 500-home run club, will be suspended for violating baseball's drug-testing plan, SI.com's Tom Verducci has confirmed.

The penalty for a first offense is a 10-day suspension without pay. The Orioles will make an announcement at 1:30 p.m. More details are forthcoming. The Players Association released a statement that its grievance on behalf of Palmeiro has been denied by the The Major League Baseball Arbitration Panel.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44262

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash