Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hockey in 2006

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 HoserSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Hockey in 2006

(For those who care that is.....)

Word around these parts is that a deal will be announced in the coming days that will bring hockey back for the coming season.

Now let's drop the f***ing puck.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Hockey in 2006

Amen, eh?
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Atheist.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

yeah, we like..let go of our head coach today eh......rumor is that we'll sign Mike Babcock to be the coach within days....get ready for more whining from Brian Burke.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

What is this hockey of which you speak?
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

I'm ready.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

did you mean 2005?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrowl
    did you mean 2005?
    Yes, sorry. Guess that should have read 2005/2006.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

is this guy playing?

if not,..................meh.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by critical_phil
    is this guy playing?

if not,..................meh.....

Wendy quit playing a couple of years ago and has retired to his cottage with his boyfriend
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    Wendy quit playing a couple of years ago and has retired to his cottage with his boyfriend
    Actually, he is still quite active in the Leafs' organization.

And the rumors of his homosexuality were rampant in the early-90's, but from what I understand have been debunked.

The guy was awesome to watch play though.

vCash

the Exec committee is meeting today in NY, the rumor is they are going over the new deal....

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrowl
    the Exec committee is meeting today in NY, the rumor is they are going over the new deal....

Anything ever come of the partial centralized ownership proposal? As I understood it, some conglomerate wanted to buy the 16 underperforming teams and opperate them centrally ala MLS to avoid a slew of wasted managment costs which would free up the "lost revenue" numbers that weigh down GM's figures. I didn't think it had a shot back in the Spring but a full year without hockey probablly changes the players minds on the concept just a bit.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben9
    Anything ever come of the partial centralized ownership proposal? As I understood it, some conglomerate wanted to buy the 16 underperforming teams and opperate them centrally ala MLS to avoid a slew of wasted managment costs which would free up the "lost revenue" numbers that weigh down GM's figures. I didn't think it had a shot back in the Spring but a full year without hockey probablly changes the players minds on the concept just a bit.
    no.

vCash

owners shot it down without a second thought....truthfully the only team it really would have benefitted would have been Pittsburgh.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

owners shot it down without a second thought....truthfully the only team it really would have benefitted would have been Pittsburgh.

Who I think they should axe rather than move to KC, along with the Panthers and perhaps Thrashers...my two cents.

vCash

Who I think they should axe rather than move to KC, along with the Panthers and perhaps Thrashers...my two cents.
    I agree.

KC and Atlanta already had shots at a franchise years ago. Give Winnipeg another shot, and maybe a team in Saskatchewan or out east in Halifax. Canadians would support a new franchise in a snap. Fact is, hockey isn't and never will be that big in the southern states.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HoserSooner
    I agree.

KC and Atlanta already had shots at a franchise years ago. Give Winnipeg another shot, and maybe a team in Saskatchewan or out east in Halifax. Canadians would support a new franchise in a snap. Fact is, hockey isn't and never will be that big in the southern states.
    With the bringing in of a salary cap, it shouldn't be too difficult for franchises to restabilize in Canada outside of the 'big two'. I found an old magazine of mine....the Faceoff Season Preview for 2000, and interestingly, it said that the next step in expansion for the NHL would be into Europe, which would most likely be able to be accomplished by merging with some European leagues to create a super-league. They also talked to the former creator of the original WHA who talked about how his vision would have had expansion in such a way that the WHA would have been divided into two conferences...North America and Europe.

KC couldn't hold an IHL franchise very well, and the Penguins will remain in Pittsburgh namely because the city council has blown their wad, and can't defend their position on the Penguins getting a new arena now that both the Steelers and Pirates have new homes.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Please PLEASE give me a sports alternative to the NBA.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

With the bringing in of a salary cap, it shouldn't be too difficult for franchises to restabilize in Canada outside of the 'big two'. I found an old magazine of mine....the Faceoff Season Preview for 2000, and interestingly, it said that the next step in expansion for the NHL would be into Europe, which would most likely be able to be accomplished by merging with some European leagues to create a super-league. They also talked to the former creator of the original WHA who talked about how his vision would have had expansion in such a way that the WHA would have been divided into two conferences...North America and Europe.

KC couldn't hold an IHL franchise very well, and the Penguins will remain in Pittsburgh namely because the city council has blown their wad, and can't defend their position on the Penguins getting a new arena now that both the Steelers and Pirates have new homes.
    European league would be interesting, but I can't see it lasting that long. Might last a few years longer than the XFL. I have enough trouble saying up to catch games on the west coast, now I'll have to leave work early to catch the Leaf games in Europe.