Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

OU Expectations For The Men's And Women's BB Teams Next Year?

With the recruiting successes both programs have had I think the expectations will be fairly high for both teams. I do think that the women's team has a higher chance of fulfilling those expectations simply because the players they recruited are dominating type players.

I think the men's team will do well but it's not a sure thing and if they underachieve I think Kelvin will get a lot of criticism....especially if they don't make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Expectations For The Men's And Women's BB Teams Next Year?

I expect the men to be a top ten team all year. Tournament success is so hard to predict though. Taj Gray should be a monster next year.

I don't follow the women nearly as closely, but if the Paris twins are really all that and a bag of chips they should be top ten as well.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

repeat of 2002. both teams in the final four. woot!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    repeat of 2002. both teams in the final four. woot!
    I think if the women can be consistent with their outside shooting they most definitley will be a final four team.

The men's team will need to be more consitent than theyhave been the past 2 years and they will need to open up their offense ala North Carolina if they are to reach the elite eight and beyond in the tournament.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma
    they will need to open up their offense ala North Carolina if they are to reach the elite eight and beyond in the tournament.
    Will we have a point guard that will be comfortable running our offense? This is, I think, the key.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    Will we have a point guard that will be comfortable running our offense? This is, I think, the key.
    We have an offense?
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

vCash

At this point I think it is easier for a couple of very good players to dominate in the women's game. There is just too much talent spread out over the division I teams in men's basketball for a team to be able to come in and dominate like UCLA used to.

Kelvin has some very good palyers but they are going to have to find some chemistry if they want to have the type of year being predicted for them(IE #2 preseason by CBS).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

For the womens team Sherry has the role players in place and now here come the superstars.It is simply a matter of meshing them together.This year I think they contend for conference honors and shake the national stage.The following year could be the kind of year that books are written about and moviies made.( That does not sound too Schnelly does it?)
    Kelvin also I think is on the road to good things.For all the flack his offense has gotten ( in many cases warranted) his team for the most part was much improved this year,My numbers aren't exact because I do not have the the stats handy but our fg% went from 41 to 48 and our 3pt % went from 34 to 37.We had our best inside attack in the Sampson eraand we return both Book and Taj as well as the young but talentedL2.
    Walker could indeed be a key for this team but even should he fall short rember much of last year our best point play came from Everett.Sucess this year would help ensure our talented early commits realize that this IS the place to come and convince other young b-ball stars of the same.Neal,Griffith,Walker,Johnson,and Carter should come in and give us more athletic ability and flexibility in our lineup.
    I expect to win another BiG 12 title and have at least a Sweet 16 -Elite Eight run.If it is not already obvious I gues I should mention my glasses have crimson lenses.Not apologizing merely explaining why I always expect MY Sooners to do well.

Brewmaster

vCash

Kelvin has some very good palyers but they are going to have to find some chemistry if they want to have the type of year being predicted for them(IE #2 preseason by CBS).
    Wait, #2 in-conference or #2 nationally? Because I would tend to see a #2 nationally as being a tad overrated.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Wait, #2 in-conference or #2 nationally? Because I would tend to see a #2 nationally as being a tad overrated.
    Nationally, and that's actually a downgrade because he had us first before Drew & LMac left. We are LOADED this year.

http://www.sportsline.com/story/8593178
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Expectations? Hell i will be thrilled if we don't have anyone transfer before the 06-07 season.

John

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Hell we might actually have a point guard who doesn't try to be the tasmanian devil trying to run our offense.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    Hell we might actually have a point guard who doesn't try to be the tasmanian devil trying to run our offense.
    Wow. Maybe I should get basketball tickets this year. Assuming I don't have a job somewhere else by then.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

I think the men's team will do well but it's not a sure thing and if they underachieve I think Kelvin will get a lot of criticism....especially if they don't make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

i have to agree with this. 100% completely, and i don't like it; yet it's true about our fanbase.

but, on the other side, i think the Sweet 16 is the watermark for any OU team until we prove we can get there a few times more with differing core groups of players. the burden is on us.

i support Coach Sampson--i not one of those "the magic of Joe Castiglione" will bring some hot hire into here types and we win 30 games. Kelvin has been nothing short of fantastic for this university and the basketball program over the last decade.

vCash

Sampson is a good coach and I am glad he is at OU. I do not think he is an untouchable at this point....meaning if you criticize him you shouldn't deserve to get called names and labeled a bad fan like you do on OUInsiders by the *** of a moderator they have on that board.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Will I see "Fire Calvin Simpson" (and not have the starter of the thread receive overwhelming neg spek) if...

1- Win Big 12 season, but bonk the tourney in 1st round
    2- Win Big 12 season, bonk tourney in 2nd round
    3- Win Big 12 season, win Big 12 tourney, any result in NCAA tourney
    4- Lose Big 12 season to OSU, any result on both tourneys
    5- Lose to Texas and OSU anytime during the regular season, any result on rest of the year
    6- Lose to Texas or OSU anytime during the regular season, any result on rest of the year
    7- At least three players transfer, any result during the entire season
    8- OU is ranked below #10, any result during the entire season
    9- A crappy team upsets OU at any part of the season, leading to the few fans in attendance from said crappy team charging the court, followed by the video of court charging showing up on Sportscenter,
    10- OU goes to the Sweet 16, any result the rest of the year
    11- OU goes to the Elite 8, any result the rest of the year
    12- OU goes to the Final Four, any result the rest of the year
    13- OU goes to Nat'l Championship game, any result the rest of the year
    14- OU wins Nat'l Championship, any result the rest of the year.
    15- OU wins Nat'l Championship and Big 12 tourney, any result the rest of the year
    16- OU wins Nat'l Championship, Big 12 tourney and Big 12 season, any result the rest of the year.
    17- Kelvin wears a pink tie instead of a red tie for "coaches versus cancer"

Will I see "Fire Sharee Kohl" if...

1-Any reason at all (name reason).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJAM
    For the womens team Sherry has the role players in place and now here come the superstars.It is simply a matter of meshing them together.This year I think they contend for conference honors and shake the national stage.The following year could be the kind of year that books are written about and moviies made.( That does not sound too Schnelly does it?)
    Kelvin also I think is on the road to good things.For all the flack his offense has gotten ( in many cases warranted) his team for the most part was much improved this year,My numbers aren't exact because I do not have the the stats handy but our fg% went from 41 to 48 and our 3pt % went from 34 to 37.We had our best inside attack in the Sampson eraand we return both Book and Taj as well as the young but talentedL2.
    Walker could indeed be a key for this team but even should he fall short rember much of last year our best point play came from Everett.Sucess this year would help ensure our talented early commits realize that this IS the place to come and convince other young b-ball stars of the same.Neal,Griffith,Walker,Johnson,and Carter should come in and give us more athletic ability and flexibility in our lineup.
    I expect to win another BiG 12 title and have at least a Sweet 16 -Elite Eight run.If it is not already obvious I gues I should mention my glasses have crimson lenses.Not apologizing merely explaining why I always expect MY Sooners to do well.
    I agree with your assessment but the Sooners still have games at critical times where everyone goes into a shell offensively or can't throw the ball into the ocean. I still think Kelvin is adjusting to a more open offensive philosophy. I understand the current assistant coaches have helped with the improvement in OU's offensive game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AllAboutThe'O''s Avatar
    There she is, and I hope she's living where I is.
    vCash

With the recruiting successes both programs have had I think the expectations will be fairly high for both teams. I do think that the women's team has a higher chance of fulfilling those expectations simply because the players they recruited are dominating type players.

The women's team will be much improved and the Paris twins should make a huge impact (provided they stay healthy, of course). I still think a Final Four this year may be a bit too much to ask but the following season should be reminiscent of 2002 (naturally with a better ending).
    If the men's team gets beat in the second round again this year it will be a big disappointment. We got beat in the second round this year but, all in all, we had a very good season and we won the Big 12 regular season title. Plus, we advanced one round further than Texas or KU did, so that's not all that bad.
    But seriously, the pieces are there for a championship (Big XII and national) run. We should be able to make it to at least the Elite Eight. That said, we shouldn't be spending the next few winters around here thinking about the next football season.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AllAboutThe'O''s Avatar
    There she is, and I hope she's living where I is.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    i support Coach Sampson--i not one of those "the magic of Joe Castiglione" will bring some hot hire into here types and we win 30 games. Kelvin has been nothing short of fantastic for this university and the basketball program over the last decade.
    That's always been a good "what-if" question. Joe C. inherited both basketball coaches when he came to OU. If Joe C. had been at OU when Billy Tubbs left, who knows who he would have gone after? Probably not Sampson.
    And I couldn't see Joe C. taking a chance at giving a high school coach the job as women's hoop coach. No way he would have hired Sherri.
    Then again, if Joe C. had been at OU in the mid 1990s, he wouldn't have hired Schnelly or Blake, either.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I agree with your assessment but the Sooners still have games at critical times where everyone goes into a shell offensively or can't throw the ball into the ocean. I still think Kelvin is adjusting to a more open offensive philosophy. I understand the current assistant coaches have helped with the improvement in OU's offensive game.
    Faninama I agree about the asst coaches and it has been my contention that is why they being older,more experienced and former head coaches were hired was to help offensively.
    The hires when they were announced looked to be out of character for Sampson who usually hires younger coaches.
    IMHO the next 2-3 years will tell the tale. KU appears to be going down at least somewhat, many believe osu will also when Eddie steps aside for Sean and we are already ahead of MU and I I think slightly ahead of UT.The time is ripe for both Kelvin and Sherri.