Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Exclamation Baylor gets WHACKED by the NCAA......

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Re: Baylor gets WHACKED by the NCAA......

Ouch.

That's crazy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Can I say wow too?

HMFIC
    vCash

Zang!!!

That's some SERIOUS bidness right there.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Any NCAA school that wants to hire Bliss in the next 10 years must appear before the Committee on Infractions to determine limitations on his activities. One former assistant will be subject to this procedure for seven years and two others for five years.
    damn.

Am I the only one that thinks that the kids that are playing at baylor are really killed for this.

DO you think Baylor plays conference ball next year?
    From the rainy rainy gulf coast of florida.

vCash

Might as well have given the death penalty with the lack of non-con games.

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

Dang! You'd think there were some TV rights on the line or something.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 batonrougesooner's Avatar
    vCash

For Sale:

Two court-side tickets to the 2005 Baylor/SMU basketball game.

Make offer.
    "I am batonrougesooner and I approved this message"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

I agree. I think limiting Baylor to only conference games only hurts the kids there now. Not only that, but how can they compete against other Big 12 teams when we will have 12-14 games under our belt. Bad move.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Hm. What's this going to do to conference RPI?
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

I understand the NCAA has to punish schools for wrongdoings, but this hardly seems right. It's like Michigan basketball going on probation for stuff no one on the staff or on the team had anything to do with.
    Atheist.

vCash

There were problems in our Athletic Department that were exposed by the Dennehy scandal. We had a coach who paid the tuition for a few players, and helped them out in other ways financially. He covered it up, and was fired for it almost immediately. We fired our coach, we fired our Athletic Director, our President resigned for several semi-unrelated reasons, and we put ourselves on probation. We then helped our own players transfer out so they would have the opportunity to play basketball.

We never tried to hide it from the NCAA or the world. We weren't paying players to play here. We weren't organizing orgies as a recruiting tool. We weren't giving players free cars, and we didn't pad their grades.

We immediately took responsibility for this by cleaning out our Athletic Department and owning up to our problems with the NCAA. Yet...we get bitch slapped and kicked in the groin while some other schools (I won't mention names) seemingly get by with infractions that are arguably much much worse. They deny and they stonewall and recieve a slap on the wrist.

What the hell is Baylor University suppose to learn from this? Have we not been punished enough? I mean honestly...what "lesson" are we suppose to learn from this? Or is it purely vindicative? Our coach had nothing to do with this, neither did our athletic director, nor did our interim President. The kids playing now, mostly, weren't even around when all of this happened. And to top off all of that my school has had to deal with, we've also had to deal with the loss of one of our fellow students.

So **** the NCAA and **** anyone who keeps throwing this crap up in our face.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

good thing we have a resident Baylor fan to keep facts straight

is it fair to say that anyone being recruited to Baylor basketball...

1-Already knew about the scandal
    2-Knew Baylor would be subject to some sort of punishment for this scandal
    3-Therefore, would somehow be affected by the outcome of this scandal, should they choose to play basketball at Baylor

...?

Unless, of course, they were duped into thinking they'd be playing for the women's team instead... in which case, they got seriously screwed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

the sad thing about the loss of OOC games is that beyond revenue etc. the fans are the ones who suffer.

all 26 of them.

seriously, though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Yeah, considering that Baylor took care of its own business in house, I am not certain that additional NCAA punishment was necessary.

It's one thing for certain employees to participate in misconduct; it's another thing for the institution to encourage or tolerate misconduct. I don't think that Baylor does either. The coach, and everyone else involved, is already gone. What purpose does it serve to beat down on them more?

Personally, I think that giving a school that does a thurough and honest self-investigation a clean slate is just good policy. It gives the schools a big incentive to self-police.

Clean your own house, mete out your own punishments, and as long as you do a good job of it -- and do it first -- you're golden. Fail to do that, and face the smackdown from the NCAA in the form of fines, scholarship reductions, death penalty, etc.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Brasky7's Avatar
    vCash

no OOC games at all is beyond overboard, make em play all their OOC games on the road or at 2 in the morning, but to make them sit idly by until conference starts is ludicrous, imo...

NCAA: National Communists Against Athletes (at baylor, who are male, who play basketball, who had nothing to do w/ the sh*t that went on before they got there)...

where's The Boz when ya need him...
    It's better than a kick in the crotch...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

Are you kidding me?

Baylor was considered a repeat offender because the tennis program received sanctions in 2000 for improper financial aid and extra benefits

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

There's a strange headline on the ESPN college basketball page, "NCAA's Message Is Loud And Clear". I don't know what that message is. I read the article. And well, I still don't know what the message is.

Is there anybody here associated with the NCAA or perhaps ESPN that can explain what this loud-and-clear message is supposed to be?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AllAboutThe'O''s Avatar
    There she is, and I hope she's living where I is.
    vCash

I think it was Jerry Tarkanian who said it best, something along the lines of "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky right now they slapped Cleveland State with three years of probation."
    Which sums up my thoughts exactly on the Baylor situation.