Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2005 QB: Who starts the season and who ends the season?

2005 QB starter from wire-to-wire is Paul Thompson with Bomar on 2nd team (actually seeing significant playing time) with Grady transferring. We'll actually be balanced on offense for the first time in years and will be able to throw (roll out, play action and drop back) and run (inside and outside) with authority if the o-line comes through.

Boomer Sooner!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BOOMERBRADLEY's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 2005 QB: Who starts the season and who ends the season?

Nice first post

I guess I will agree since I don't have an opinion on this anyway

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

I agree too. As much as I wanna say Thompson will start the season and Bomar will be the starter by Texas, I just don't see it happening anymore...No reason, I just thing Bomar will sit one more year, maybe get a little more cleanup time the PT did. I think we win alot of game 21-17 or 28-24 this year...
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

I thought we were pretty damn balanced last year. Anyway, I think Bomar starts game one.

vCash

Yeah, we were pretty damn balanced on NC game. We got each butt cheek kicked!

Boomer Sooner!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

I think Stoops does with the QB as he did with the RB last year. Last year, KJ started and AD came in early and often and became the starter in the 3rd or 4th game.

PT will start the first game and will remain the starter as long as he dominates opposing defenses. Bomar will play early and often and, if PT doesn't play outstandingly, Bomar will be starting by the 3rd or 4th game.

I see Grady transferring, too.
    Last edited by Texas Golfer; 5/5/2005 at 01:38 PM.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonermagik's Avatar
    vCash

When I saw Bomar take off in that spring game I was impressed. Bomar has the better arm I say he starts.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooners47and7
    Yeah, we were pretty damn balanced on NC game. We got each butt cheek kicked!

Boomer Sooner!
    Regardless of how bad OU got spanked by USC, the 2004 offense was the most balanced in the history of OU football.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    I agree too. As much as I wanna say Thompson will start the season and Bomar will be the starter by Texas, I just don't see it happening anymore...No reason, I just thing Bomar will sit one more year, maybe get a little more cleanup time the PT did. I think we win alot of game 21-17 or 28-24 this year...
    The only problem with that is that PT will be a junior. Thus, it is highly doubtful that Bomar (as a redshirt soph) would beat out PT (as a redshirt senion) in 2006. Besides, with all the QB talent we have, I think the coaches would like to have a 2-year starter at worst (PT) and a 3 or 4-year starter at best (Bomar and Grady). Having rookie QB's (which all the QBs are at this point IMO) 2 years in a row (2005 and 2006) is to be avoided.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Golfer
    I think Stoops does with the QB as he did with the RB last year. Last year, KJ started and AD came in early and often and became the starter in the 3rd or 4th game.

PT will start the first game and will remain the starter as long as he dominates opposing defenses. Bomar will play early and often and, if PT doesn't play outstandingly, Bomar will be starting by the 3rd or 4th game.

I see Grady transferring, too.
    Substitute "Stoops" with "Mack", "KJ" with "Applewhite", "AD" with "Chrissy" and "Grady" with "Mock" and you just explained the last 5 years of Whorn football at its worst. No way Stoops fails to learn from that debacle.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman71
    Substitute "Stoops" with "Mack", "KJ" with "Applewhite", "AD" with "Chrissy" and "Grady" with "Mock" and you just explained the last 5 years of Whorn football at its worst. No way Stoops fails to learn from that debacle.
    The difference with the whole KJ/AD thing is that each had their strong and weak points (KJ can pass protect if needed, AD not so well), and Stoops used them appropriately. There was no real controversy in how they were used, not as far as I saw anyway.

The only complaint I had with this setup was that the opposing team always knew that if AD was on the field to prepare for the run, and if KJ was on the field to prepare for the pass. Statistically, it was too easy to predict.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerLB's Avatar
    vCash

Statistically, it was too easy to predict.
    Attention Chuck Long! Please read the above quote 10 times Chuck, and please try to understand it!

Hopefully having better mobility at the QB position will help, no matter which of the 3 is playing, but more than anything, I hope we have some imagination in play calling this year, as opposed to predictability. I really don't want to see any opposing players snatching that flare pass out of the air for a TD, ever again!
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but . . . I am a member of the OLEVET POSSE!

"I'm too busy to help out right now....I'm trying to train a lizard to jump through hoops." - StoopTroup

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Hey, don't worry about it guys. Based on all of these threads I have the utmost confidence in the "QB By Committee" solution.

Bob is still on the throne. They're all good. It's all good. Regardless of which one takes the snaps he will still be wear'n red..........right?

(music intro)
    Summer time, and the liv'n is easy
    The fish are jump'n,
    And the cotton is high...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

whoever starts the first game will be the starter for the whole season, i will admit i am pulling for bomar so we can at least have the hope of a 3-4 year starter instead of changing qbs every two years.

vCash

I hate this !
    I watched Bomar in the texas all star H/S game . He is a winner . Pinpoint accuracy and mobil as hell. I would love to see him out there this fall.
    Now If P.T. can do the job , then his loyalty to the team should be rewarded.
    AHHHHHHHHH
    theres 2 ways this can go and either one will be fine . Bomar will only be here for 2 more yrs anyway . he will go pro.
    Aint it great to have this problem ?
    I to see Grady transfering , Hey Mike Need a Great QB ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill
    I hate this !
    I watched Bomar in the texas all star H/S game . He is a winner . Pinpoint accuracy and mobil as hell. I would love to see him out there this fall.
    Now If P.T. can do the job , then his loyalty to the team should be rewarded.
    AHHHHHHHHH
    theres 2 ways this can go and either one will be fine . Bomar will only be here for 2 more yrs anyway . he will go pro.
    Aint it great to have this problem ?
    I to see Grady transfering , Hey Mike Need a Great QB ?

Bomar hasn't even played a down of Division 1A college football and he has already decided to go pro?

From what I see, Bomar will be an excellent fit for OU but needs one more year to mature. It will be PT starting unless he gets hurt IMHO and I think many of you are going to be pleasantly surprised.
    OBAMA= One Big A** Mistake America!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

^^^^ that suggestion would be great give bomar a year to know the playbook in and out and have pt start for a year if PT WAS A SENIOR!!!
    if pt starts this year and finishes it he will be the starter next year and that means bomar will only have 2 years to start.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

If Thompson starts and is the starter the entire year then I really would have to join the Chuck Long doubters club that has been flourishing since the Sugar Bowl loss to LSU.

If PT is good enough to start this season he should have been good enough to play instead of a QB who was as banged up as Jason White was in the Sugar Bowl.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma
    If Thompson starts and is the starter the entire year then I really would have to join the Chuck Long doubters club that has been flourishing since the Sugar Bowl loss to LSU.

If PT is good enough to start this season he should have been good enough to play instead of a QB who was as banged up as Jason White was in the Sugar Bowl.

Chucks arguement with that would probably be that the offense was mainly schemed for a passing QB and not for a balanced attack. But I agree that I would have rather given Paul a chance (keep in mind that was 2 years ago)

Paul has not been allowed to show his stuff simply based on the offensive style that has been run by the sooners since Nate was there. Paul has put in 3 years and rhett has 1 year as a redshirt. IMHO our defense is the area where we lost the last 3 games and that needs to be addressed. Defense wins championships. And OU lost the last two.
    OBAMA= One Big A** Mistake America!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 85Sooner
    Chucks arguement with that would probably be that the offense was mainly schemed for a passing QB and not for a balanced attack. But I agree that I would have rather given Paul a chance (keep in mind that was 2 years ago)

Paul has not been allowed to show his stuff simply based on the offensive style that has been run by the sooners since Nate was there. Paul has put in 3 years and rhett has 1 year as a redshirt. IMHO our defense is the area where we lost the last 3 games and that needs to be addressed. Defense wins championships. And OU lost the last two.
    our defense produced against LSU