Thread: Wrestling Fans

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

Wrestling Fans

i know there's a few of us on SF.com.

don't forget the debut of Real Pro Wrestling tomorrow on PAX. if you miss is, it will be re-broadcast by FOXSW on wednesday afternoons.

looks like jared frayer is involved in this, as well as a bunch of aggies.

the rule changes look very interesting, including: instant replay challenges, push-out points (to prevent intentionally going out of bounds), and a "bonus" if a wrestler gets called for passivity.

here's the link for all rules/scoring:

http://realprowrestling.com/news/det...6/details.html

here's the homepage:

http://realprowrestling.com

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Wrestling Fans

Thanks for the tip!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

So what did you all think?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

That looks pretty cool, I just hope there is plenty of interest to keep it going since people tend to think of pro wrestling as something like WWE or TNA..maybe some will change their minds towards the sport.

vCash

it was o.k. the wrestling that they showed was good stuff, it's the format that i found a little lacking.

if you didn't see it, they basically showed an 8-man tournament for the 55 kilo weight class (the first round was just a recap, then they showed the semi-finals). i guess that they'll do this for all the weight classes, then have the finals at the end of the season.

i liked the rule changes alot. it's mostly freestyle (which i like), with a couple of twists.

whether or not there's any future for it - who knows? it's hard for me to imagine how this will translate into mainstream programming, but maybe there's a place for it (i've got to think that people would watch wrestling over darts or pool).

........oh, and put a singlet on for chrissakes!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by critical_phil
    it was o.k. the wrestling that they showed was good stuff, it's the format that i found a little lacking.

if you didn't see it, they basically showed an 8-man tournament for the 55 kilo weight class (the first round was just a recap, then they showed the semi-finals). i guess that they'll do this for all the weight classes, then have the finals at the end of the season.

i liked the rule changes alot. it's mostly freestyle (which i like), with a couple of twists.

whether or not there's any future for it - who knows? it's hard for me to imagine how this will translate into mainstream programming, but maybe there's a place for it (i've got to think that people would watch wrestling over darts or pool).

........oh, and put a singlet on for chrissakes!
    I didn't quite get the Greco-Roman bonuses.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    I didn't quite get the Greco-Roman bonuses.
    i guess they can get a 20-second period to try to throw your opponent (if they're called for passivity or an infraction) and greco rules apply. yesterday it looked like they had the choice to start from either a standing clinch or par terre.

the "no legs" thing just about greco makes it so boring, but this is a neat little twist. i tried wrestling in a greco tourney (a long time ago) and i got hammered.

i liked the other rules, especially the "push out" point. i've wished for a long time that collegiate wrestling would move to freestyle rules. i don't think so for kids, though. there won't be any 1-0 matches in RPW, that's for sure.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Man I missed it, and didn't make an attempt to record the thing...so how was it?

vCash

bump.

this will be shown again today at 3:00 on FOXSW (check your local listings).

if the next episode follows the same format, it'll be the 60kg class that includes jim gruenwald (a guy that took me to school back in the day).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BudSooner
    Man I missed it, and didn't make an attempt to record the thing...so how was it?
    I liked that "real" wrestling was actually on TV, but as was said here, they do need singlets, and I want to see an entire match, not just highlights.

vCash

Real Pro Wrestling gains a foothold with TV
    By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist
    5/17/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

A professional wrestling circuit, for real Olympic-style wrestlers, has long been the dream of the sport's biggest stars.

Starting a new professional sports venture, of any sort, is risky business.

So, Real Pro Wrestling is facing a huge hurdle but has already cleared one of its biggest obstacles -- it has a television home and is drawing satisfactory ratings.

RPW, as it is known, is an eight-team league featuring collegiate and Olympic-style wrestling stars.

The Oklahoma Slam, one of the teams, is coached by former Oklahoma State stars Kendall Cross, an Olympic gold medalist in 1996, and Eric Guerrero, a 2004 Olympian.

It has four former Cowboys on the team, including 2004 Olympian Daniel Cormier at 211 pounds.

But don't go out and try to buy tickets just yet.

The first season of RPW wrestling, currently in the midst of its television schedule, is done.

The RPW was a one-weekend tournament taped for television in Los Angeles.

"It was time that we put on the real wrestling," said Rulon Gardner, former Olympic gold medalist and RPW commentator. "Look, the other stuff is entertainment and that's great. But this is a chance for Olympic-style
    wrestlers to put on a competitive show with real sports values.

"This league has a chance to do some great things. Next season were planning on going into the European and Asian television mar kets. It gives U.S. wrestling a chance to be the leader in our sport. That hasn't been the case in the past."

While wrestling is wildly popular in Russia, the Middle East and Asia, it has been a secondary sport in the United States.

It is highly regionalized, with pockets of enthusiasm around the country. Oklahoma is certainly one of those wrestling hot spots.

"I think we have just scratched the surface during this first season," said Toby Willis, founder of the league. "There are over one million wrestlers in this country. There are millions more former wrestlers.

"There are parents, brothers, sisters and friends that love the sport. We think we've just started to reach those folks."

The ratings haven't been great, but they are good enough for Willis to forge ahead with plans for a second season.

It has been getting a .2 rating, translating to about 325,000 viewers across the nation. That is equal to what women's pro soccer has been drawing.

Again, not great but at least a foothold.

Plus, because the RPW is a made-for-TV event, costs could be minimized.

"That will eventually change," said Willis.

The tournament, the basis for this series of RPW televised matches, came after last summer's Olympics and before the start of practice for collegiate wrestling last fall.

"There are just so many guys that also coach and have training partners back home that we just flew them in, offered some cash prizes and then sent them home," said Willis.

That may change in the near future.

Willis said on a recent conference call that he envisions a league with local ownership, local athletes and home matches.

"I envision a time when fans can watch the sport once a week instead of once every four years," said Willis, a former Illinois high school wrestler. "This first season was to test the water.

"At some time, I believe there will be franchises in key areas of the country. I see us having a draft of local athletes for those local teams. There will be local management and matches."

Currently, the RPW is a made-for-TV sports event. It airs weekly on the PAX and Fox Sports Network.

The RPW knew enough to name teams for specific areas of the country. Obviously, there is an Oklahoma team. Iowa, Pennsylvania and California have teams in the league.

Willis, who conceived the idea, came up with the plan to have an eight-team, seven-weight tournament and televise it.

He stocked all of the teams with wrestlers and coaches from that area. He flew everyone to Los Angeles and offered cash incentives to the wrestlers for winning matches.

Willis worked with USA Wrestling to make sure the league wouldn't violate any international rules.

USA Wrestling is the national governing body for wrestling. It operates national and international tournaments and selects the national teams.

All of the wrestlers in the league will remain eligible for international competitions, including the Olympics.

"The league has had a very positive impact on wrestling," said Gary Abbott, of USA Wrestling. "For starters, it is great exposure for our wrestlers. It is great to see the sport on television so often. And, the league has done a good job of telling the athletes' stories as part of the televised competition.

"It continues to establish a television market for wrestling. Plus, it gives our wrestlers a chance for some added revenue. That has long been one of the biggest obstacles to our sport in this nation."

Wrestlers have traditionally faced short athletic careers after collegiate eligibility runs out. Most are able to hang on for one or two Olympics.

On a rare occasion, an athlete may be able to continue training long enough to make three Olympics, as Tulsan Kenny Monday did.

Still, the lack of financial stability usually forces wrestlers into the work place while they are still in their 20s.

"We will work very closely with the RPW because we think it is another avenue for our wrestlers to make money and at the same time give the sport much-needed exposure," said Abbott. "It will be interesting to see how this develops in the future.

"I don't know if there will ever be international teams competing, but I think it is good to at least talk about these things. Anything that brings attention to these wrestlers and our sport like this new pro league is good for us."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

I watched a couple of matches a while back and thought it was pretty good . . . I hope it catches on.