Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member SOONER44EVER's Avatar
    vCash

Things everyone did as a kid that are unthinkable or illegal now.

I walked 8 blocks to a convenience store to buy cigarettes for my mom when I was 6 years old!!! I wouldn't let my daughter walk 8 blocks by herself now.
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Things everyone did as a kid that are unthinkable or illegal now.

I was thinking about this the other day. If you lived out in the country, chances are you played in or near a creek. There was a creek that ran out behind my house, near a sewer plant even, that we used to go down into, wade around, play war, etc...

I wonder how many rattlesnake nests, etc... I laid my head next to without even giving that sort of thing a thought.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

I killed a guy once, when I was 8.

vCash

We never wore seatbelts and I don't think we even had a carseat when I was a baby.
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 49r's Avatar
    vCash

I held up a liquor store.

Made it outta there with a couple grand and a fifth of whiskey.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

We used to have rock wars, ROCK WARS!! How dumb were we? The game ended once, suprise, someone got hit in the eye.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Mom used to put my 11 year old sister, 6 year old brother and 5 year old me on the City bus at 9:00 Saturday morning to ride 5 or 6 miles downtown. We would then walk a couple blocks to the movie theater, watch the 10 a.m. matinee and stay for the 1 o'clock feature, walk back and catch the bus for the ride home, arriving around 4:30. Babysitting on the cheap.

It was safe at that time. Would not consider it today.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    We used to have rock wars, ROCK WARS!! How dumb were we? The game ended once, suprise, someone got hit in the eye.
    We did the same thing. I remember my little brother getting 11 stitches in the forehead. That was the last rock fight we had.
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

vCash

We played tackle football in the street, had BB gun fights but the fame for the tough guys was bike fights. We'd just ride as fast as we could head on ibto each other. What were we thinking?
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

but I wouldn't want my kid to try it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

but seriously I used to swim in ponds, drive my dads tractor, I used to ride on the top of the haystack when we hauled hay for my grandpa, I used to walk to town to go to my Aunt's house.

Quote Originally Posted by OUAndy1807
    I killed a guy once, when I was 8.
    My mother shot me once. Once!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Roman candle fights.

Chemistry sets.

helmetless bicycling. In fact bicycling all over town, even in traffic, in the summer with nothing on but a t-shirt and cut-off blue jeans.

your first .22 when you were 12.

When you were 6, lying on the back dash (with the rear radio speaker under your noggin) and looking up at the stars as your dad cruises down the interstate in the family Chevy Impala.

Parents smoking cigarettes with the car windows rolled up while you and your little brother catch a second-hand smoke buzz.

When you were 5, standing up on the car's front bench seat next to your mom as she drives to the grocery store. Your safety restraint? Moms right arm which would fly up across your chest if she had to stop suddenly.

Oh yeah, this little number. The Mattel "Thingmaker." For those of you who weren't kids in the 1960's, it was set which included what was esssentially a hot plate which got up to 300 degrees on which you cooked up toys (bugs, creatures, army men, etc.) by heating steel molds you filled with a liquid plastic called "Goop" which then solidified. I burned the crap out of myself everytime I played with mine. Here's an ad:
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i've done the venerable roman candle fight. also, the "i dare you to walk across that frozen pond" game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER44EVER
    We never wore seatbelts and I don't think we even had a carseat when I was a baby.

Interesting - I am really old and I had a carseat when I was a baby. It wasn't much in the way of protection, but you can see the idea was starting. There was a steel frame with canvas fabric, some kind of a tray in front to hold toys. It fit over the back of the front seat, so I could look out the windows. My brother used it for a couple of years.
    I don't remember when we got seatbelts in the car. It just seemed like we always had them.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

Sledding behind cars on the frozen neighborhood streets.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IR4OU's Avatar
    vCash

bb gun wars... of course we suited up for the occasions and it was a blast... I looked like someone from the movie Mad max, with a Sunoco/DX leather racing jacket, Armco Construction hat and welders face shield, come to think about it the bottle rocket and roman candle wars we had were the bomb.

Weeeeeeeeee the good times.

burning down fences with fireworks

dressing up as a golfer on Halloween and teeing off with the popcorn balls and apples in the bastards yards who gave them to us.

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    dude, that was pretty stupid. I was much smarter. I had dirt clod wars.