Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Has anyone had any brushes with famous people?

Let's not include local celebrities like football coaches, players or politicians. I mean, national figures like Hollywood movie stars or musicians.

I once saw James Earl Jones checking into the Bethesda MD Holiday Inn. Another time I was at training in Annapolis, MD, and we had previously been joking about how one of our fellow workers looked like Pat Sajak. Well, we were walking back from dinner and there were two guys talking on the sidewalk, one was leaning against his BMW. We got closer, and it was Pat Sajak, who has a place in Annapolis. One of the women in our group said "It couldn't be!" Pat turned to us and shielded his face and said jokingly "It's not, it's not." We didn't stop to bother him, but we acknowledged him as we walked by and I said "We know your brother!" (our co-worker who looks like Pat), and Pat looked at me with a puzzled expression, as walked off.

That's about it from my end. I know people who have had much more interesting brushes with fame. One co-worker lived in LA and she came across famous people all the time. One time she had her birthday party in a nice LA restaurant and it turned out Cindy Crawford was sitting at the table behind her group. When they sang happy birthday, Cindy turned around and joined in. She thought Cindy was so nice.

I know someone who went with her daughter to a Hollywood reception in which her daughter danced. She happened to chit chat with Mark Wahlberg, who was standing to the side watching the performance. She said he was very pleasant and friendly - and short.

A friend of mine is married to a concert violinist who once was asked to go down to Eastern Kentucky to teach Helen Hunt how to hold a violin in her scenes where she played a violinist. This was a bad movie filmed in Ky. from the 80s or 90s with Patrick Swazey and Billy Bob Thornton, the name of which escapes me. Anyway, my friend's wife goes down there and it turns out Helen had hurt her neck diving into the pool at the flea bag motel they were all staying at down in Eastern Ky., so she was in a foul, bitchy mood. Tina did her instructing to Helen, who was unfriendly, disinterested and barely acknowledged Tina during the lessons. To this day Tina has bad memories of Helen Hunt.

I heard someone asked Julia Roberts for her autograph at an LA area grocery and she blew them off. When they persisted, she cursed them out. This is second hand, though.

Anyone out there have some brushes with fame?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Has anyone had any brushes with famous people?

I've brushed up against several famous people in my time.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Minnie Driver brushed passed me with her arms full of shopping bags in the Forum Shops at Caesars in Vegas a couple years ago and I was once introduced to Boris Yeltsin. I don't think Boris remembers me though, it was after 7pm and he'd been drinking a while. I stood in line in an airport newsstore behind Al Sharpton once too. Finally, when I was little tiny kid, Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright) came to the rodeo in Ardmore. My parents stuck me in his lap for a picture after it was over. I have no memory of it, nor had I been drinking.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SactoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I once saw Pearl Jam's bassist Jeff Ament buying underwear at Sears in a mall in Missoula, Montana.

For my daughter's 16th birthday, a friend of mine arranged for backstage passes so she could meet LeeAnn Rimes, who is her favorite singer.

I went to a national award ceremony at Ethel Kennedy's house in McLean, Virginia, when an article I co-authored in college won the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award. Met Diane Sawyer (who ended up taking the overall prize), kicked my shoes off with Carole Simpson (ABC), and met a bunch of Kennedy's. A lot of other national level journalists/columnists/cartoonists were there as well. I've also arranged a number of interviews with national and international level reporters/shows in my advocacy work.

When I was waiting for a friend to get off a plane in Salt Lake City, Bart Conner and Nadia Comeneci got off before him (this was before I lived in Oklahoma, so to me they weren't considered local celebrities).

One of these days I'm sure I'll run into Schwarzenegger somewhere, because my job frequently takes me to his locations, and we work with his staff all the time.

This thread really belongs to LAS.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Back when I was 12 or 13 our family went to Tennessee to see my Uncle & his family for Christmas. While we were there we drove to Hendersonville (about an hour away) to bowl a few games. We ended up bowling alongside a group that included Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, & oh yeah, some gal named Dolly Parton......

vCash

Oh...and I forgot to mention Matt Groening, but that was at a college journalism conference where he held a press conference. What was cool in hindsight is that he was there to kick off "The Simpson's," so I have all of the original press materials used in the launch, and an original drawing of one of his "Life In Hell" characters made out to me on the very first Simpson's poster ever issued. The promo t-shirt is long gone though. Who knew that show would become legendary?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Life in Hell was great.

vCash

ignore potential threadjack:

my friend John had "relations" with Jewel. she came over to our apartment a few times in about 92-93. beautiful girl. she used to sing karaoke in Boulder just for a stunt....this was before she was famous....but she could bring it.

vCash

I forgot to mention a few other brushes:

I will mention Anita Hill, since she is both a local and also a national celebrity. She was my contracts professor in law school at OU. She was very bright and a nice person. She had some of us students over for dinner at her house sometimes. The crap about her abilities in the press was a bunch of bs. She knew her law. She graduated with honors from Yale Law School, unlike Clarence "Uncle" Thomas.

A woman I used to date sat near Richard Simmons in first class in an airplane.
    She said Richard was talking with his agent or business manager throughout the flight and he seemed quite normal, not the flaming, flamboyant Richard Simmons you see on tv. He did show this side after they were deplaning, when Richard commented how good she looked and then proceeded to kiss her hand (this was her story). She also had a flight with Terry Bradshaw, who she said seemed like a nice guy.

A friend of a friend works as an Air Marshal, and he sat next to Cameron Diaz in first class. He said she seemed very unfriendly and stuck up. This is all second hand.

We stayed at the same hotel as opera singer Beverly Sills many years ago. We ate dinner in the same hotel restaurant and saw her eating with her family. After dinner, she sat there picking her teeth with a tooth pick. My Dad later happened to run into her in a hotel shop, and talked with her, and he said she was very cordial and friendly. She was apparently on vacation with her family, not working.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    ignore potential threadjack:

my friend John had "relations" with Jewel. she came over to our apartment a few times in about 92-93. beautiful girl. she used to sing karaoke in Boulder just for a stunt....this was before she was famous....but she could bring it.
    but what about the teeth?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

I once saw Broderick Crawford getting his car gassed up in Santa Monica back in 60-something.

I saw Gallagher at a Houston airport.
    TU: Are you Gallagher?
    G: Yeah.
    TU: I thought you looked like him. <Really clever, huh?>
    G: I guess I have to.

Non qualifying: Greg Pruitt stopped at the gas station where I used to work in Moore (Broadway DX, 12th & Broadway). I filled up his Fiat 124 Spider and cleaned the windshield.

I saw Van Cliburn eating at a Sambo's (on Classen?) back in 76 or so.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTrombone
    but what about the teeth?
    i wasn't ever looking at them as long we are thinking in the plural.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

On vacation in So Cal many years ago I was driving south along the coast in Malibu when this idiot in a Cadillac convertible turns right in front of me to enter a driveway at one of the beach front properties.

I slammed on the brakes, laid on the horn, smoked the tires and saw Kirk Douglas shooting me the finger.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

mandrake

I shared a plane flight with Jennifer Capriati many years ago. She was of course in 1st class, my wife and I in coach, but we did say hi. I also ran into Mike Wallace from 60 Minutes at the Reagan Airport in DC a while back.

Bart and Nadia bought office furniture from me in 1993. And I send my son to their gym. Class people.

Best one, as far as I'm concerned, I got to hang out after a concert with one of my favorite musicians of all time. To see who this is, go to www.the-company.com

And I'm still waiting for Charlotte Church to ask me to dinner.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member instigator's Avatar
    vCash

Does Shaun Bradley count?

I passed by Mike Tyson in Vegas a while back, but I just ignored him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

Mike Tyson - Orange Bowl 2000, south beach, was really cool to us, I need to post the pic still

Mel Gibson - Flight to LA, was seated next to him, nice guy, I tried to leave him alone.

George W. - when he was governer, was at some really expensive dinner in Austin that sucked.

Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Marti Turco, crap... all of the Stars, and 20 other NHL players - partied with them at Brett's birthday party last fall. (Always go to a hockey party if invited)

Scott Stapp from Creed - met him at a Stars game in 2000, he is a huge fan, fun to hang out with.

Lots of NFL guys, quite a few live around here.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlbqSooner
    On vacation in So Cal many years ago I was driving south along the coast in Malibu when this idiot in a Cadillac convertible turns right in front of me to enter a driveway at one of the beach front properties.

I slammed on the brakes, laid on the horn, smoked the tires and saw Kirk Douglas shooting me the finger.
    But don't you know Spartacus always has the right of way? HE is Spartacus.

I was at the NAMM show(music convention), I turned a corner and ran smack into Prince. Poor dude only came up to my chest. We both said sorry to one another. Later that night I was invited up to the hotel suite of General Music keyboards to see a private jam session with Earth Wind and Fire, and a couple friends. I got to shake their hands, but they wouldnt let me play with them. After we lest the jam session, I ran into Duff McCagen(sp?) the bass player in Guns n Roses ans I drank a beer with him at the bar. It was pretty sweet.
    you are the feces produced, when shame eats too much stupidity

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

In my line of work, I get to work w/ a few famous people:
    Patrick Ewing (big fella), Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Paul O'neill, Bernie Williams, Spike Lee, Jerry Seinfeld, John Riggins, Lenny Dykstra, Pay-Rod, Mary Pearce, Violent Femmes, Rosanna Arquette, Armand Assante, Diane Venora, Whoppi Goldberg, Johnathan Pryce, Warren Moon, Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista, Kevin Spacey, Boomer Esiason, Spin Doctors, Pricilla Presley, F Murray Abraham, Spalding Gray, Henry Rollins, Chuck D, and a few more plus a little band named the Rolling Stones.
    Partied with: Matt Dillon, Fisher Stevens, INXS, Black Crowes, Lenny Kravitz, Arthur Nascarella
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

Another one I forgot to mention was seeing Art Linkletter having breakfast with his grandchildren in Missoula at a place similar to Denny's.

And Shannon Miller was in line in front of me at Ekerds at 122nd and May one time.

That's it for me!