Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SactoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: **Unofficial** South Oval Cookbook, 2005 Edition

Heh...it's actually something I wanted to do in the first place, plus I need to learn how to do it for the ol' job.

vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SactoSooner
    I'll see what I can do. I've never been successful at indexing without going through the whole thing by hand, which is why I didn't go that route, but the pages are now numbered at least. I'm using OpenOffice for the pdf conversion capabilities...you wouldn't happen to know how to index using that program, would you?

Heh...I promise I won't sneak a "Bedtime Stories by Norm" book in here, although it's tempting!
    Hello, children, hello. This is Uncle Norm welcoming you to your own special story. Hello. Today we are going to have a story, so sit comfortably and we can all start.

One day, Rikki the magic Pixie went to visit Daisy Bumble in her tumbledown cottage. He found her in the bedroom. Roughly he grabbed her heaving shoulders, pulling her down on to the bed and hurridly ripping off her thin- ????

Umm, let's try again, shall we?

Old Nick the Seacaptain was a rough, tough, jolly sort of fellow. He loved the life of the sea and he loved to hang out down by the pier where the men dressed as ladies- ? What, with a melon? Now wait a minute-

Here we go. Rumpletweezer ran the Dinky Tinky shop at the foot of the Magic Oak Tree, by the wobbly dum dum bush in the shade of the magic glade, down in Dingly Dell. There he sold contraceptives- Various appliances? Naked fun???

...No more storytime for today! Goodbye, children!

I just need someone to fark Norm's head onto Eric Idle....
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

vCash

That's hilarious! This thread needs a sticky more for PG's interpretive story than for my silly ol' cookbook.

Speaking of which...Norm...the index is complete. I left it sorted by member's names, just cuz it was easier, so between the chapter indexes and the member's index with page numbers, we should be good to go.

Sticky away!

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

On second thought, Maybe we should only post it in the SO. I think I'll just move this thread if that's OK.

vCash

That's fine. Whatever you decide.

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

Love the index and page numbers. Good jorb.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jaux
    I made SBSB's chicken fried steak last night. Tres bon! Seems pretty easy but I'm not a good fry cook and I screwed up the first one. Next 3 were great. Company liked it. I did too. Now I need to larn how to do that gravy thing that goes on top - I guess it's just a white sauce made from roux with seasoning...am I right?
    Let me ask my mom about that one. Glad you liked it. What did you serve with it?

vCash

On the gravy, I looked up cream gravy on google and they all pretty much say the same thing.

After your chicken fried steak is done, leave some of your drippings in the pan. Slowly add flour mixing it with a wooden spoon. After the flour is good and brown, slowly add your milk and stir until the mixture is thick. add pepper as well.

Usually when I do the CFS I make steak sandwiches.

vCash

I made CFS last night and if you do make them, add a little buttermilk to your eggs and some cayenne powder to your flour. YUMMY

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

Gravy is 2tbs pan juices, 2tbs flour, 1 cup of milk or cream. Mix the pan juices and flour in the pan you cooked the meat in with a whisk. I guess it should be at about medium or so heat. The mixture will bubble a bit. Slowly add the milk and whisk until it thickens up. You want all the burnt stuff on the bottom of the pan to come up. Salt and pepper to taste. Those are just basic instructions, so if you want more then increase the amounts to how much you want.

If you add too much flour, it will taste like paste. If you add too much oil/pan juices, it will be greasy and nasty. If you add too much milk, you'll be stirring all night waiting for it to get thick enough. We just had this gravy a couple of nights ago and it is good.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

i've never been able to write down a recipe that works for the gravy we make... neither has my mom or her mom. i more prefer the throw-stuff-in-until-it-looks-right method. it seems to work better for me
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SactoSooner again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    i've never been able to write down a recipe that works for the gravy we make... neither has my mom or her mom. i more prefer the throw-stuff-in-until-it-looks-right method. it seems to work better for me
    yeah that is my mom's gravy theory. I made the CFS sandwiches at her house though. I'll do gravy next time.

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    That never works for me with gravy. I end up with paste, grease, or 30 minute gravy if I don't measure. Any other kind of sauce i use the "Throw good stuff at it" method.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

?

vCash

The server I was using to host the cookbook went down for about a week, but it's back up now. Apologies for the inconvenience!

Lightbulb Re: **Unofficial** South Oval Cookbook, 2005 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Norm In Norman
    That never works for me with gravy. I end up with paste, grease, or 30 minute gravy if I don't measure. Any other kind of sauce i use the "Throw good stuff at it" method.
    The secret to making good gravy is to put your flour, seasonings and about 1/2 cup of the liquid into a jar and shake it first. Gently heat it and add the remaing liquid as you heat.

*Put a little spice in your life with some variety...
    Cardamom (just a pinch) makes a good seasoning for poultry gravy.
    Last edited by MamaMia; 2/20/2005 at 08:59 PM.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Why is it that "smashed" potatos always taste and sound better than "mashed" potatos?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUSAEmom
    The secret to making good gravy is to put your flour, seasonings and about 1/2 cup of the liquid into a jar and shake it first. Gently heat it and add the remaing liquid as you heat.
    that's how my granddad did it, and he made a living cooking in other people's homes and selling cookware as a young man after returning from WWII. now, he was always making brown gravy for melt in your mouth briskit and his secret liquid ingredient was coffee.

with chicken fry, always cream gravy, no question.