Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Band of Brothers

did anybody see the interview documentary that accompanied this show on the History Channel - "We Stand Alone Together"

man oh man....talk about your heroes. i watched it after re-watching the entire series.........incredible, really hard to put into words what these men, and others like them, mean in the grand scheme of our history

if you get a chance to watch it, i highly recommend it

vCash

Re: Band of Brothers

Did you read the book, JK?

no, its next on the list

vCash

We win.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

That documentary rocks.

The whole series rocks.

Best 80 bucks I ever spent.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerfanJK
    incredible, really hard to put into words what these men, and others like them, mean in the grand scheme of our history
    Refered to as the "Greatest Generation" for a good reason.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

It is a great little ending to the series. Seeing old Bill Garnier and Babe Heffron overlooking Foy is good stuff. Plus the first person testimonials of Carwood Lipton, Winters, and the like is great primary source documentation from a history point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960
    Refered to as the "Greatest Generation" for a good reason.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerProphet
    It is a great little ending to the series. Seeing old Bill Garnier and Babe Heffron overlooking Foy is good stuff. Plus the first person testimonials of Carwood Lipton, Winters, and the like is great primary source documentation from a history point of view.
    that scene got to me......i cant even imagine standing in a place like that where now it looks so pristine......when 50 years ago it was a living hell for those guys......the bastogne chapter in the series is probably the most accurate depiction of just how bad it was for them

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Both D-Day and Citizen Soldiers are excellent books by Ambrose as well. Have not read his Air Corps book yet, my grandfather was a tailgunner/engineer in a B-26 and a POW. Those old timers are passing away daily, will always have much respect for those that laid it on the line in the early 1940's.

my youngest has read most of Ambrose's books, I need to rob his bookshelf and see whats available

i've read Citizen Soldiers

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

My father has every book written by Ambrose, I've read quite a few of them.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

I bought my dad the box set for Christmas, and it's got that doc on the last disc. I hope he watches it quickly so I can borrow it back...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member instigator's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerfanJK
    did anybody see the interview documentary that accompanied this show on the History Channel - "We Stand Alone Together"

man oh man....talk about your heroes. i watched it after re-watching the entire series.........incredible, really hard to put into words what these men, and others like them, mean in the grand scheme of our history

if you get a chance to watch it, i highly recommend it
    That's actually better than the series. It was great to finally see the names of the people that you have been seeing speaking before each episode. I remembr when it was on HBO and I couldn't believe what I was watching. What a terrificly produced history based mini series.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I've watched the series probably 4 or 5 times, back in June The History Channel ran the series over two days. I sat around both days just watching everything. The last part which JK is talking about has never failed to hit me emotionally.

Especially when Maj. Winters says the part about one of his soldiers grandkids asking if he was a hero in the war and he says "No, but I served with a bunch of them"...I'm getting chills thinking about it.

There is a website dedicated to Maj. Winters and their goal is trying to persuade the DoD to get Maj. Winters the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions in securing the firing positions portrayed in the second part (I think it was the secon part).
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by instigator
    That's actually better than the series. It was great to finally see the names of the people that you have been seeing speaking before each episode. I remembr when it was on HBO and I couldn't believe what I was watching. What a terrificly produced history based mini series.
    Hanks and Spielberg are teaming up again for another 10 part series portraying the war in the Pacific. If it is half as good as Band of Brothers it will be phenomenal.
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Like the books, liked the HBO series, liked SPR, visited Normandy this past summer, love my father (living USMC combat veteran of some of the worst stuff in the Pacific...), and certainly believe that we honor earlier generations of American veterans for good reasons. However...

...I think terms such as the "greatest generation" (unintentionally) relegate America's greatness to its past. The younger generation (of which I am not a member) of Americans who wear the uniforms of the nation's armed services are every bit the equal of those we venerate as the "greatest generation." They are bright, eager, incredibly brave and do amazing things when well-led. I see it every day. America should be very proud that it still raises such fine young men and women. They are a reflection of the nation they serve -- not without flaws, but certainly worthy of respect and admiration for their commitment to the ideals America holds dear.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Here's the best BOB website out there:

http://www.kramerg.com/tircuit/

Actual members of the 501st post there along with family members.
    I haven't been there in a while but there's some good sutff, photo's, stories, and you can send a note to the guys.

We should also remember the guys who came in from the other side through Italy.
    My gf's grandfather fought through there and it was a living hell.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VMG
    ...I think terms such as the "greatest generation" (unintentionally) relegate America's greatness to its past. The younger generation (of which I am not a member) of Americans who wear the uniforms of the nation's armed services are every bit the equal of those we venerate as the "greatest generation." They are bright, eager, incredibly brave and do amazing things when well-led. I see it every day. America should be very proud that it still raises such fine young men and women. They are a reflection of the nation they serve -- not without flaws, but certainly worthy of respect and admiration for their commitment to the ideals America holds dear.
    I tend to agree with you especially regarding todays men/women serving in Iraq/Afghanistan.

But, it took an act so heinous and cowardly for that to be the case - and I see some parallels between todays men/women and those of WWII.
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NYSooner1355
    Hanks and Spielberg are teaming up again for another 10 part series portraying the war in the Pacific. If it is half as good as Band of Brothers it will be phenomenal.
    That's where my grandfather served, in the Phillipines mostly.