Sooner Starter
    vCash

AP releases top 100 college football teams of all-time

The Associated Press wanted to find a way to rank every college football program against each other. Luckily, it has a long-running metric that can help with those calculations right in its back pocket.

The ranked list of 100 programs, released Tuesday by the AP, is the organization's first list putting schools against each other using all-time success as a measuring stick.

"College football is rich with history, and the AP poll is a unique measure of how the sport has changed through time," deputy sports editor Noreen Gillespie said prior to the list's release. "The all-time list lets fans interact with that history, and debate how the nation's top programs fared over time."

According to the AP, the rankings were based on total poll appearances, number of times ranked No. 1 and AP national championships. The AP poll started on Oct. 19, 1936, with 20 teams before getting reduced to 10 teams (1961-67) and then expanding back to 20 in 1968. The AP Top 25, as we know it today, started with the 1989 football season.

Check out the 1-100 list below, but head over to the AP for breakdowns of the top 25 teams and point differentials for the remaining 75.

Ohio State: 77.24 percent of all AP polls
    Oklahoma: 71.08 percent of all AP polls
    Notre Dame: 69.45 percent of all AP polls
    Alabama: 67.54 percent of all AP polls
    Southern California: 67.36 percent of all AP polls
    Nebraska
    Michigan
    Texas
    Florida State
    Florida

I only posted the top 10. Here is a link to the rest.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...s-of-all-time/
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Re: AP releases top 100 college football teams of all-time

I guess all those times texas was overrated in the polls got them a higher ranking in this poll. And no Oklahoma was never overrated.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

I don't guess championships figure much into the methodology they used, which is the ultimate goal. I don't disagree with you guys at no. 2 but putting Bama at no. 4 is an absolute joke. Both of our programs EACH have more NC's than Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan--COMBINED.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    I don't guess championships figure much into the methodology they used, which is the ultimate goal. I don't disagree with you guys at no. 2 but putting Bama at no. 4 is an absolute joke. Both of our programs EACH have more NC's than Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan--COMBINED.
    What are you talking about? OU doesn't claim Ladies Home Journal national championships so OU doesn't have more NCs than those other schools combined.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    What are you talking about? OU doesn't claim Ladies Home Journal national championships so OU doesn't have more NCs than those other schools combined.
    Sorry, I did not account for Michigan's two NC's.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

The Houston Chronicle is crying that UT was 6, 6! positions lower than OU. It is a poll not to be trusted...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

That's actually really interesting. Pretty awesome that we are #2. Hopefully we'll surpass Ohio State soon. I remember the days of the wishbone offense growing up in Del City in the 70's. Fun times.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

The Houston Chronicle is crying that UT was 6, 6! positions lower than OU. It is a poll not to be trusted...

If they hadn't sucked so much since the AP came out . . .