Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Re: When Can We Leave The Big 12?

Quote Originally Posted by deweydw View Post
    Schools in the Mountain West are looking to get in on the Big 12 sweepstakes. LINK Possibly Colorado State and Boise State.

If the B12 just had to add two teams I would vote for BYU and Colorado St. BYU is pretty obvious as they are the best program available and the football straw stirs the drink. I look at CSU as a bit of a project but they have a lot going for them. New stadium, a little small but trending in the right direction. It's a large state institution in an adjacent state with a decent population base. Also at this point CSU is for all intents and purposes is as good, maybe better than CU and that's as a Mountain West program. If they joined a P5 Conference they would easily surpass a floundering CU Athletic Program.

I absolutely do not want to see another Texas school in the B12. You can see what the powers that be in Texas have rammed down the B12's throat already. I can't believe these insufferable SOB's are trying to force feed us UH.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If they joined a P5 Conference they would easily surpass a floundering CU Athletic Program
    Hmm...

Meanwhile in Boulder...
    http://www.denverpost.com/2014/11/30...ade-of-losing/

I have heard that CU is hampered by state laws that disallow longer state employee contracts, but CSU as a public institution would be hampered by those same laws. Basically, it protects the state against the sort of thing KU football is up against --- bad coaches taking up years of $$ long after they're fired for mediocrity. Thus, the state of Colorado limits the number of state contracts that can be multi-year. This likely would include the head football coach, but not his many highly paid assistants and thus... mediocrity, because nobody wants to coach without some job security, but at the same time, Colorado doesn't have to pay coaches that suck, and boy have they sucked lately at football.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Look, the ACC schools are not "stuck." They are in a good conference. They are not having to take on sh*theel schools that nobody else wants like Houston, Memphis, or any of the other puke programs mentioned as candidates for the Big 12 expansion.

It's sickening.

The ACC's Clemson has kicked the dogf*ck out of us two seasons in a row, once with a third team QB and recently with a rebuilt defense.

ACC is not hurting and having to take on mongrel programs to stay P5; Big 12 is.

If you take away Oklahoma and Texas, Big 12 is no different than the AAC or C-USA. It's really just a sh*tty conference now. Oklahoma props it up in football, Kansas in basketball. Texas owns the whole thing in reality and has made it as sh*tty as possible for its own financial gain.

Our misguided dipsh*ts named Boren and Castiglione really think they are somewhere by sticking with this conference. It's sickening. They have put us in the position to be Southwest Conference 2.0 because they were too f*cking stupid to go to the SEC in 2011.

As idiotic as it was then, it's pathetic now. Mizzou in the SEC, while the Big 12 "takes applications/bids" from the King of the Dipsh*t schools remaining from the realignments of five years ago.

There's no way to put it in a positive light. Sorry. To say the ACC schools are "stuck"...please. Please stick us with home conference games every other year with Notre Dame, Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, etc. And, basketball with Duke, North Carolina, and the ACC.

Come on. The ACC schools are not "stuck."

Amazing.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 7/28/2016 at 12:33 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

vCash

Clemson has kicked the dogf*ck out of us two seasons in a row
    yes please don't remind me.

ACC schools are not "stuck."
    Ah, you're gonna make me get the thesaurus out, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    Synonyms fast, firm, frozen, jammed, lodged, set, snug, tight, wedged

Related Words bonded, cemented, glued; anchored, clamped; embedded (also imbedded), entrenched (also intrenched), impacted, implanted; attached, bound, fastened, secured; immovable, unyielding
    A lot of football words in there! If only our team could have been described as "unyielding" in the past few bowl games

Happy Friday anyway. Happy to banter about conference reallignment this offseason. I wish the Big 12 was in a better position. We'll find out soon if they are or aren't. Sure appears to be "not" at this point.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    yes please don't remind me.

Ah, you're gonna make me get the thesaurus out, eh?

A lot of football words in there! If only our team could have been described as "unyielding" in the past few bowl games

Happy Friday anyway. Happy to banter about conference reallignment this offseason. I wish the Big 12 was in a better position. We'll find out soon if they are or aren't. Sure appears to be "not" at this point.
    badger,
    I do love you to death. But...

...at this point, no team from the ACC would want to jump to the Big 12. Conversely, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, us...we'd all be happy with an ACC invite - or at least, we should. I'm really worried that our leadership believes the Big 12 is viable longterm.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 7/29/2016 at 02:18 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

we'd all be happy with an ACC invite
    If the Big 12 folds, I'm sure we'd all be happy with having another Power 5 home, but as it is right now? The ACC has 16* teams.

*Notre Dame football thinks its special.

The closest team is Louisville*, which is a few states over.

*Please don't make me do the math to see if South Bend is closer, which only counts for not-football, because eff Notre Dame.

So do any of the 10 Big 12 teams really want to become the 17th ACC team? Sure, if they're uneducated

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I saw somewhere that East Carolina is dying to get in the Big 12.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I think we're making it too complicated. If we absolutely, positively just have to add two teams then make it BYU and Colorado St. Under no circumstances sign a new GOR. Never, never, never. Under no circumstances make getting WVU a regional rival a priority as VWU will be gone if they get a better offer. East of the Mississippi is picked to the bone and no team I can think of makes any kind of sense......except

If we can add 4 teams without a new GOR then I don't care who they add. If we see this happen I think we might see the 10+4-2 played out with OU / Texas exiting.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Leave the Big Xll

As to Houston being a crappy University and town. While I'm an OU alumni (OU MBA) and season ticket holder living in Houston I disagree that U of H would be a bad addition to the Big Xll. U of H is a tier one University with 30,000 student in a Metroplex of 4,000,000 the fourth largest city in the US. Of all the group of five schools, Houston would be the best choice and as an added plus the addition would just p$&@ off all of the TexasEx's.
    TEXAS IS GOD'S COUNTRY---IF YOU'RE AN ATHEIST
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    badger,
    I do love you to death. But...

...at this point, no team from the ACC would want to jump to the Big 12. Conversely, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, us...we'd all be happy with an ACC invite - or at least, we should. I'm really worried that our leadership believes the Big 12 is viable longterm.
    OU is the 3rd best team in the ACC for the foreseeable future while they will be the frontrunner in the Big 12. Add that to getting destroyed in Men's Basketball and I'd pass.

vCash

OU is the 3rd best team in the ACC for the foreseeable future while they will be the frontrunner in the Big 12. Add that to getting destroyed in Men's Basketball and I'd pass.
    Competition in-conference is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd say that OU seriously had to step up in the aughts due to Texas' recruiting, reputation and non-RRS dominance (for the most part). When Mack Brown decided that he'd rather coast into retirement instead of earn $5 million a year, I think both OU and Texas slid to a certain degree. Can you really work yourself up for a game against Baylor, KSU or TCU like you can for the hated whorns?

I assume you have us behind Clemson and Florida State. Clemp has earned the right to be ahead of us via the past two bowl disasters but Florida State? In the past five years, we beat them here we beat them there we'd be them anywhere, Sam-I-Am And we really seemed to be worked up for that game on a national stage, too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    I don't think so. Iron sharpens iron, which is why we were beating Florida State when the Big 12 had stronger teams, but getting our *** kicked now that the majority of good football school left and were replaced by TCU and West Virginia.

Watering down the conference even further with any of the current prospects makes the conference even weaker in the long run.

But, many people here are fine losing two or three during the season, then getting smacked down in the bowls, so...here's to the mediocrity being pushed on us by considering the likes of Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida,etc.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Competition in-conference is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd say that OU seriously had to step up in the aughts due to Texas' recruiting, reputation and non-RRS dominance (for the most part). When Mack Brown decided that he'd rather coast into retirement instead of earn $5 million a year, I think both OU and Texas slid to a certain degree. Can you really work yourself up for a game against Baylor, KSU or TCU like you can for the hated whorns?

I assume you have us behind Clemson and Florida State. Clemp has earned the right to be ahead of us via the past two bowl disasters but Florida State? In the past five years, we beat them here we beat them there we'd be them anywhere, Sam-I-Am And we really seemed to be worked up for that game on a national stage, too.
    I'm an OU fan so I really hate this topic but in the last 15 years the football team has been embarrassed on the national level. The last 5-8 years the Big 12 has been so overrated.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Google Clay Travis( he's a Tennessee homer)and his blog out kick the coverage. He really makes a compelling case for how this will all play out, with you guys and the pokes coming to the sec and Texas and Kansas going to the big 10. Never thought it would happen but after reading it I came away convinced that he's on to something.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

Texas won't go to the Big 10. One reason could be the Longhorn Network but there are rules on how to get into the Big 10. There are two requirements. 1) Must be an AAU school. This is not as solid as it used to be because Nebraska used to be an AAU school but then lost it right before joining the Big 10. The second rule is the big one and that is that the school's state must be adjoining to a member's state. In Nebraska's case, there is Iowa. The more likely scenario is for Kansas (adjoins Nebraska) and OU (adjoining Kansas) to go Big 10. The Big 10 would wet themselves to have Kansas basketball and OU athletics and anyone who listens to Boren knows he's all about the academic prestige.

vCash

Google Clay Travis( he's a Tennessee homer)and his blog out kick the coverage. He really makes a compelling case for how this will all play out, with you guys and the pokes coming to the sec and Texas and Kansas going to the big 10. Never thought it would happen but after reading it I came away convinced that he's on to something
    If it weren't for politics that might actually happen. However, much like OU and OSU are tied together, KU and KSU are tied together. And Texas? That state's legislature would throw a Texas-sized tantrum if UT were allowed to go to a Power-5 conference without at least one (if not several) other Texas school(s) tagging along.

I don't mean to say that these schools are tied together unvoluntarily. Boren and Hargis (that's the Poke president) seem to have a very good relationship and work the state's legislature and voters together for the benefit of state education. That penny sales tax? If might have Boren's name all over it, but I can assure you that Hargis will encourage the Poke half of this state to vote for it just as readily.

Kansas and Kansas State I have no idea about, but I assume that when you're surrounded by Westboro Baptists and a cutting legislature (funding and taxes) that the two top higher ed institutes lean on each other for support across the state.

Texas seems to love its overlord status over its lessers. It probably is quite amused that Houston is willing to give up its exclusivity in H-town (that satellite campus talk) for a sniff at Big 12 membership. Hell, if TCU gave up having a full share of Big 12 money (at least initially) to get included, what would the other Texas schools do for UT to ensure that it is not left out of the Power 5 discussion.

We're flagships, yes... but we don't seem to dislike having our younger siblings around.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg2303 View Post
    Texas won't go to the Big 10. One reason could be the Longhorn Network but there are rules on how to get into the Big 10. There are two requirements. 1) Must be an AAU school. This is not as solid as it used to be because Nebraska used to be an AAU school but then lost it right before joining the Big 10. The second rule is the big one and that is that the school's state must be adjoining to a member's state. In Nebraska's case, there is Iowa. The more likely scenario is for Kansas (adjoins Nebraska) and OU (adjoining Kansas) to go Big 10. The Big 10 would wet themselves to have Kansas basketball and OU athletics and anyone who listens to Boren knows he's all about the academic prestige.
    Exceptions can be made and, simply put, I think right now it all hinges on what Texas does. No way is Texas coming to the SEC. Eventually they will have to join a super conference or go independent. Going the PAC 12 route looks unlikely at this point. I think ultimately the Big 10 takes them and Kansas, and the SEC will reluctantly take Okie State as part of the price to get you guys. The Big 12 is dead man walking.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)