Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

When Can We Leave The Big 12?

News that we could expand by as many as four schools is disheartening. The conference will be like the C-USA/AAC/MWC plus OU and Texas. It's truly pathetic.

Why do our "leaders" stand for this? Leaving now would finally do what has needed to be done for years - crush the Big 12 and push us and Texas into one of the other four viable conferences.

At that point, FBS has to face reality and split between those of us who have taken care of our programs since the early 1990s and those who have not but somehow want to jump on for the ride.

It's not our fault that the Houstons of the college football world couldn't get their sh*t together until recently. It really isn't. And, they still have a crappy little stadium, no made how new it is. We shouldn't be in the same conference with schools with smaller facilities and no real football history.

I'm sorry, but if it was totally okay to ditch Nebraska and the long, storied tradition we had with them in conference, then it is more than okay to ditch what is left of the Big 12.

Sickening.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Re: When Can We Leave The Big 12?

Two former BIGXII teams may want back in, according to Bill Snyder.

Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder not only stumped for the conference, but claimed multiple teams that have left wish they hadn’t:

"I may be wrong and other people may see it differently, but I don’t think anyone could be in a better situation than the teams we have in our conference. I’ll tell you what. There are teams that left our conference right now that wish they could get back in our conference."

When asked to clarify, he said, "Two I know of."

The coaching legend has been saying for a while that he’d like to reconvene the gang, specifically wanting Nebraska to return from the Big Ten.
    The other team, Colorado.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Both NU and CU fit better in the big12 than the conferences they are in now. I'd much rather see that then Houston and BYU even considering CU's current hard times. Probably just a pipe dream though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Both NU and CU fit better in the big12 than the conferences they are in now. I'd much rather see that then Houston and BYU even considering CU's current hard times. Probably just a pipe dream though.
    http://www.houstonpress.com/news/tom...ndance-7871103

No. You guys, nothing says puke more than Houston. They only averaged about 28,000 in attendance last year in their putrid 40,000 seat "new" stadium. What in the f*ck are we doing even considering these lame f*ck programs?

Houston sucks at damn near everything. No one in Houston even gives a f*ck about Houston. For pete's sake, no one in Houston even f*cking speaks English anymore anyway! You'd get larger crowds for international soccer matches or cricket in Houston than college football! F*cking f*ck! I hate Houston. It is an absolute *** wart of a city and school.

Please...if this is what it has come to, pay whatever it costs to get out of the Big 12 and beg into any of the other four P5 conferences. The Big 12 will crumble anyway letting in the putrid likes of Houston or Cincinnati or UConn...whatever. It's horrible.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I know that you hate the Big 12 TDTW, but the biggest reasons to stay are that the status quo is probably the easiest, not to mention that all Big 12's members signed over their third-tier TV rights to offer the conference stability. Would another conference take OU knowing that there's a legal fight ahead over third tier rights? Would OU want to leave knowing that they are a big fish in the Big 12, but will just be a n00b in another conference? Would OU want to pay the Big 12 exit fees?

I would love it if Colorado and Nebraska came back. I'd hope that the Big 12 would roll out the (go big) red carpet and guarantee an annual football game with OU every season to further entice them.

Houston: Yes, attendance sucks and it would give the conference an unprecedented fifth member from the same state. Even the Pac 12 only has four California schools. If the Big 12 wants Houston, I'd say that we have to dump one of the others first. Baylor, please. I would like to think that Big 12 opposing fans would fill whatever stadium we play in against UH, whether it's the Texans' NFL stadium or UH's home field.

BYU: As The Oklahoman noted today, BYU is facing a lesser-than-Baylor, but still undesirable, sexual assault situation of its own:
    http://newsok.com/could-byu-witch-hu...rticle/5510440

Absent inviting old members back, BYU's only Power 5 option is likely the Big 12, because I don't forsee the Pac 12 inviting any members with a religious affiliation. It kept Baylor and BYU out of the Pac 16 discussion last go-around.

Anyways, wait and see, even if it hate the Big 12 It might turn out all right after all. Or, it might turn out horrible. As is the case right now, OU is still Big 12 football champs, a College Football Playoff invitee, a Final Four MBB team, national champs of softball and both gymnastics and a finalist in men's tennis. Not too shabby for being in such a shabby conference, eh?

vCash

BYU and UH seem to be chomping at the bit to get in the Big 12. Problem with BYU is that they would end up being football only, since they don't play any sports on Sunday. Since they don't play sports on Sunday, that would be a scheduling problem for the Olympic type sports.

As for U of H, I wouldn't mind them getting in the conference. Since I live in the Houston area, I would get to attend an OU game every other year.

Otherwise, bring back Nebbish and the Buffs.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

vCash

Don't say Notre Dame for the next 20 years.
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ch-acc-network

The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC.
    Or anyone else from the ACC for the next 20 years, either. (i.e. Florida State and Clemson):
    The conference's grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

vCash

None of the proposed school draws dick in TV ratings either:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/coll...ll-tv-ratings/

vCash

The rumored reasons the conference voted to expand:

1) ACC Deal-GOR extension
    No chance expanding with FSU or Clemson now.

2) Expansion bring more money to conference
    Look for the conference to add 4 teams as oppose to 2 to maximize TV money on current contract.

3) Houston meeting with PAC-12
    The fact that PAC-12 commissioner even granted them an audience suggests that they might be on their radar. Along with whorn Chip Brown's source that says PAC-12 looking to get into central time zone.

But this really not that big of deal. There were no mentions of extension of the GOR, nor is likely that OU or texas will accept any extensions. So less then 10 years and we are out.

I don't have a problem with Houston in fact out of all that were mentioned they are going to be the most competitive in the conference if they can hold on to their coach till then. Trying to use tx politics to muscle their way in is another story through....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...gars/87389168/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    http://www.houstonpress.com/news/tom...ndance-7871103

No. You guys, nothing says puke more than Houston. They only averaged about 28,000 in attendance last year in their putrid 40,000 seat "new" stadium. What in the f*ck are we doing even considering these lame f*ck programs?

Houston sucks at damn near everything. No one in Houston even gives a f*ck about Houston. For pete's sake, no one in Houston even f*cking speaks English anymore anyway! You'd get larger crowds for international soccer matches or cricket in Houston than college football! F*cking f*ck! I hate Houston. It is an absolute *** wart of a city and school.

Please...if this is what it has come to, pay whatever it costs to get out of the Big 12 and beg into any of the other four P5 conferences. The Big 12 will crumble anyway letting in the putrid likes of Houston or Cincinnati or UConn...whatever. It's horrible.
    I don't think I was clear - I meant to say I'd like to see CU and NU return to their rightful conference - *NOT* to add Houston/BYU. Just not going to happen. OU shouldn't have put themselves in the middle of friggin' Oklahoma*!

*FYI for the thin-skinned, that's a joke

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Texas just keeps on giving us more reasons to leave this cesspool of a conference. Now Texas Gov Abbott saying no B12 expansion without Houston.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...xzF?li=BBnba9I

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Texas just keeps on giving us more reasons to leave this cesspool of a conference. Now Texas Gov Abbott saying no B12 expansion without Houston.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...xzF?li=BBnba9I

Wasn't it a Texas Gov that gave us Baylor? That's working out really well.

vCash

No school being considered adds anything to the competitive mix of the Big 12. Maybe - MAYBE - BYU. But, their screwed up in their "won't play on Sunday" mindset won't fly.

It's just terrible. Please, just stay at 10. None of these programs draw dick in attendance or television viewers. It's just a big sh*t sandwich all the way around. Do not bite it, please.

Those idiots Castiglione and Boren should have f*cking jumped to the SEC in 2011 when they had the chance. Stupid f*cking idiots. We're stuck in Southwest Conference 2.0 because of those two buttwipes and their miscalculations about the Pac-12 wanting us without Texas.

F*cking idiots.

vCash

The magic number is 8 --- 8 of the 10 Big 12 schools must approve a candidate.

That means that the Texas schools can veto any candidate, but they cannot approve a candidate on their own. They would need to convince at least four non-Texas state schools to go along with the Houston plan.

Once again, NO conference worth mentioning has more than four schools in a single state --- the ACC has four North Carolinas (Duke, NC State, UNC and Wake Forest), Pac 12 has four Cali schools (Cal, UCLA, USC and Stanford) and Big 12 has four Texans (UT, Baylor, Tech and TCU), but five would be unprecedented. It would be going backwards to the SWC.

This is not a knock on Houston, which is a prime recruiting area for OU and others and there's plenty of OU and other Big 12 school alums down there that would love to have a more Sooner/Big 12 games there. However, Houston is late to the party and other Texas schools beat them to the Big 12. If they wanted in, the years to do it were 1996 or 2012. You missed out; sorry. The only way we can take another Texas school now without going against what it means to be a conference, a Power 5 conference at that, is to force an existing Texas school out (BAYLOR! BAYLOR! A THOUSAND TIMES BAYLOR!).

As it is now, Colorado is highly rumored to be wanting out of the Pac 12 experiment and their sh!tty non-bigtime-revenue-generating TV network... and if we get them, perhaps we can get Utah as well.

Why are the only Big 12 expansion candidates being mentioned mainstream from the mid-majors? Let's go after the available Power 5s. If we're stuck in the Big 12 (and make no mistake about it, WE ARE; stop talking like we aren't), let's make the most of it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The magic number is 8 --- 8 of the 10 Big 12 schools must approve a candidate.

That means that the Texas schools can veto any candidate, but they cannot approve a candidate on their own. They would need to convince at least four non-Texas state schools to go along with the Houston plan.

Once again, NO conference worth mentioning has more than four schools in a single state --- the ACC has four North Carolinas (Duke, NC State, UNC and Wake Forest), Pac 12 has four Cali schools (Cal, UCLA, USC and Stanford) and Big 12 has four Texans (UT, Baylor, Tech and TCU), but five would be unprecedented. It would be going backwards to the SWC.

This is not a knock on Houston, which is a prime recruiting area for OU and others and there's plenty of OU and other Big 12 school alums down there that would love to have a more Sooner/Big 12 games there. However, Houston is late to the party and other Texas schools beat them to the Big 12. If they wanted in, the years to do it were 1996 or 2012. You missed out; sorry. The only way we can take another Texas school now without going against what it means to be a conference, a Power 5 conference at that, is to force an existing Texas school out (BAYLOR! BAYLOR! A THOUSAND TIMES BAYLOR!).

As it is now, Colorado is highly rumored to be wanting out of the Pac 12 experiment and their sh!tty non-bigtime-revenue-generating TV network... and if we get them, perhaps we can get Utah as well.

Why are the only Big 12 expansion candidates being mentioned mainstream from the mid-majors? Let's go after the available Power 5s. If we're stuck in the Big 12 (and make no mistake about it, WE ARE; stop talking like we aren't), let's make the most of it.
    I don't think we are stuck. It's more a matter of what we are willing to do to get out.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Unless the PAC 12/Big 10 comes knocking pass

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

I don't think we are stuck. It's more a matter of what we are willing to do to get out
    We are as stuck in the Big 12 as the ACC teams that signed away their media rights for years. We did the same thing with the Big 12 to provide the conference stability. We all did. We're all stuck.

Unless the PAC 12/Big 10 comes knocking pass
    Neither conference seems particularly desirable unless we're looking for a lot of increased travel time. Both conferences are looking more coastal than ever (B1G recently expanded to include more East Coast teams --- Rutgers and Maryland). Pac would probably be more interested than B1G in OU, as their current TV network seems to stink.

Relegation is an intriguing topic. For those who don't dabble in Premiere League, the top teams are in one league, and after each season, the lowest top league teams are "relegated" to a lower league, while the top lower league teams get a promotion to the top league. This would increase the level of competition for the top teams, but also subject the lesser hanger-on programs to lesser revenue, lesser TV, lesser exposure. In essence, the rich will get richer and the mid-majors that can upset programs will likely be fewer and far between.

OU would have likely been relegated in the 90s as well. It would be naive to think hard football losing times would never happen again (same for you, Rammer Jammer Bammer!), so it's something to keep in mind.

Good discussion all around But I am still firmly in the belief that OU is stuck in the Big 12 and that can be a good or bad thing depending on how the conference acts on its future. I say we steal other Power 5 programs first and go the BYU or heaven forbid, the fifth Texas state school routes as a second/last option.

vCash

Schools in the Mountain West are looking to get in on the Big 12 sweepstakes. LINK Possibly Colorado State and Boise State.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson spent a lot of time on the topic during his state of the conference address on the first day of Mountain West media days.

“A number of Mountain West institutions have expressed interest in looking at Big 12 membership,” said Thompson. “What’s going to happen? Nobody has any idea. ... No idea on what the timetable might be. No idea if if affects a current Mountain West member. We’re all playing this game that some people have said is similar to a sweepstakes.”

vCash

Schools in the Mountain West are looking to get in on the Big 12 sweepstakes. LINK Possibly Colorado State and Boise State.
    I remember when the Mountain West was all like "heeeeyyy forgotten five Big 12 schools! we'd LOVE to have you join us when the rest of your conference leaves for the Pac 16/SEC/B1G!"

That was nice (and self serving) of them, but nice (and self serving) Missouri leading the forgotten five sure forgot the others when it went SEC-ing. And who can forget how outspoken the Mizzy governor was at how great they would be for the Big Ten and eff the Big 12 and memories of the Big 8 ...before, yknow, the Big Ten picked Nebby instead. Good riddance all around, MWC and Mizzou. Nobody likes you!