Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Joe Mixon's 'punch' victim gives interview with NewsOK.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    I was raised to never hit a girl/woman and in 40 years on the planet I have yet to encounter a girl/woman that I had to hit to defend myself. Mixon is completely wrong should have been kicked out school.
    in 52 years I have yet to actually encounter one myself. I've seen teenagers (girls) go at it big time. Again, I'm not saying he was right to hit her but to say NEVER hit a woman...is wrong as well. Times have changed..

On top of that, (I don't know) but depending on how Mixon was raised to deal with this crap has a huge impact. I've seen it first hand. Does that justify his punch..no way. BOTH he and the girl need to be held accountable for their actions...obviously the severity of both actions differs then so should the punishment. Whether he should have been kicked out of school...?...who knows. If a regular student did that I'm sure they wouldn't be kicked out..but def prob would have gone to jail for assault.

I just have a hard time calling her a "hero" as in the OP and now she is suing him.
    Last edited by Soonerjeepman; 8/1/2016 at 07:17 PM.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    I agree about being surprised when DBG was given the transfer, then we fought to get him eligible for the season. To me, that was out of character for Stoops.

However, when the Mixon thing happened and I saw the video, THEN they just gave the kid six months - this "year/season" people always talk about - I began to wonder whether or not Stoops was more interested in winning than anything else.

In my mind, high quality football players have always come to OU, regardless of the coach. Even during the Gibbs-Shcnellenberger-Blake Wandering In The Desert Era, we got players good enough to have NFL careers.

So, it's not as though the team was going to be made or broken with Mixon booted off the squad.

Plus, I just thought it sent a bad message to the players who had already been on campus were already contributing and playing by the rules.

I also have a wife and daughter, and it impacted me there as well. Would I want my daughter out drinking late at night like Molitor? No. But, do I think I verbal conflict between someone calling your friend an offensive name and you standing up for them should result in an athlete breaking your face? No.

Finally, just as a fan, I knew it would never die once Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops let it live on. They have made the bed they lie in with Mixon. And, to me, it was not necessary.
    Bingo. Stoops has done a very good job of cutting ties with problem players but his job was on the line so Mixon got a pass

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    in 52 years I have yet to actually encounter one myself. I've seen teenagers (girls) go at it big time. Again, I'm not saying he was right to hit her but to say NEVER hit a woman...is wrong as well. Times have changed..

On top of that, (I don't know) but depending on how Mixon was raised to deal with this crap has a huge impact. I've seen it first hand. Does that justify his punch..no way. BOTH he and the girl need to be held accountable for their actions...obviously the severity of both actions differs then so should the punishment. Whether he should have been kicked out of school...?...who knows. If a regular student did that I'm sure they wouldn't be kicked out..but def prob would have gone to jail for assault.

I just have a hard time calling her a "hero" as in the OP and now she is suing him.
    I'd hope the University of Oklahoma would have a school rule that if you assault another student you are thrown out of school.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Interviews since that 2014-15 offseason have suggested that Bob Stoops went through a period of personal and professional transition when he finally made some overdue changes --- it was the offseason where Josh Heupel was let go and Lincoln Riley was brought in. It was also the offseason where Mike Stoops was moved to the press box (i.e. neutered so he wouldn't keep yelling on the sideline on national TV in players' faces).

So, I suspect that DGB/Mixon wouldn't have happened in 2015 or 2016 under this change of heart, and that Mixon was grandfathered in and will be let go at the first time of trouble.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

First, I'm a woman. Second, I've mostly stayed out of these discussions but the article and then the lawsuits, especially against Pickleman's, really annoy me and this is as good a place to vent as any.

Third: THEY WERE BOTH WRONG!!! (yes, I'm yelling because some seem to think if you say anything against Molitor then you must believe Mixon is blameless)

First, growing up in our neighborhood in the '70s, the boys were taught not to hit a lady and the girls were taught to always act like a lady so you were treated like one. She certainly wasn't acting like a lady that night so even the 1970's rule wasn't broken. However, this was in 2014 and women have been screaming 'equality' too long to use that as an excuse now. They were both wrong and both should have been charged. Mixon accepted his punishment and complied with all requirements by the court and OU.

In her media play for sympathy, Molitor claims she accepted responsibility for all her actions and the consequences of them. Bullsh!t If she accepted responsibility for her actions, these lawsuits wouldn't have been filed. The last paragraph of the article gives the impression she wants to work with battered women because she is one. No, getting drunk and picking a fight with a stranger in a public place is certainly not domestic abuse and doesn't make you a battered woman. And if she were that traumatized by the event, she wouldn't be working as a bartender on Campus Corner.

These lawsuits are a straight up money grab and she waited until the very end of the statute of limitations to be as close as possible to Mixon's NFL career. He certainly doesn't want this story on ESPN every night when teams are doing evaluations - settle early for more cash so it doesn't affect your draft status. That's also why the one against Mixon was filed in California - make it inconvenient and expensive to fight, hoping he will be convinced to settle quicker and for more money. I believe she also asked for a jury trial instead of bench, I assume to try to work the 'poor little me' angle for more sympathy money. And trying to claim that a sandwich shop (that doesn't even serve beer) should have bouncers is beyond ridiculous. I hope they can at least force her to pay all their legal fees. And FYI, the amount she can get in court is all about her damages, pain, and suffering not his bank account.

In my non-lawyer opinion, Mixon actually has the best case for a lawsuit but I highly doubt he would file it and I hope he doesn't. The Cleveland County DA told the world he would have charged both of them if it were two males but instead chose to let her completely off the hook. The DA openly acknowledged that Molitor assaulted Mixon first and that the charges were basically a morality play because she got hurt. Molitor, at the least, should have been cited for public drunkenness or disturbing the peace. Why her bench warrant was not also enforced is even more stupid. This is textbook sexism.

<steps off soap box> Rant over, carry on

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerfan88 View Post
    First, I'm a woman. Second, I've mostly stayed out of these discussions but the article and then the lawsuits, especially against Pickleman's, really annoy me and this is as good a place to vent as any.

Third: THEY WERE BOTH WRONG!!! (yes, I'm yelling because some seem to think if you say anything against Molitor then you must believe Mixon is blameless)

First, growing up in our neighborhood in the '70s, the boys were taught not to hit a lady and the girls were taught to always act like a lady so you were treated like one. She certainly wasn't acting like a lady that night so even the 1970's rule wasn't broken. However, this was in 2014 and women have been screaming 'equality' too long to use that as an excuse now. They were both wrong and both should have been charged. Mixon accepted his punishment and complied with all requirements by the court and OU.

In her media play for sympathy, Molitor claims she accepted responsibility for all her actions and the consequences of them. Bullsh!t If she accepted responsibility for her actions, these lawsuits wouldn't have been filed. The last paragraph of the article gives the impression she wants to work with battered women because she is one. No, getting drunk and picking a fight with a stranger in a public place is certainly not domestic abuse and doesn't make you a battered woman. And if she were that traumatized by the event, she wouldn't be working as a bartender on Campus Corner.

These lawsuits are a straight up money grab and she waited until the very end of the statute of limitations to be as close as possible to Mixon's NFL career. He certainly doesn't want this story on ESPN every night when teams are doing evaluations - settle early for more cash so it doesn't affect your draft status. That's also why the one against Mixon was filed in California - make it inconvenient and expensive to fight, hoping he will be convinced to settle quicker and for more money. I believe she also asked for a jury trial instead of bench, I assume to try to work the 'poor little me' angle for more sympathy money. And trying to claim that a sandwich shop (that doesn't even serve beer) should have bouncers is beyond ridiculous. I hope they can at least force her to pay all their legal fees. And FYI, the amount she can get in court is all about her damages, pain, and suffering not his bank account.

In my non-lawyer opinion, Mixon actually has the best case for a lawsuit but I highly doubt he would file it and I hope he doesn't. The Cleveland County DA told the world he would have charged both of them if it were two males but instead chose to let her completely off the hook. The DA openly acknowledged that Molitor assaulted Mixon first and that the charges were basically a morality play because she got hurt. Molitor, at the least, should have been cited for public drunkenness or disturbing the peace. Why her bench warrant was not also enforced is even more stupid. This is textbook sexism.

<steps off soap box> Rant over, carry on
    First, I'm a man. Second if you can't hit a woman unless your life is being threatened. My wife and I have gotten into some pretty heated, nasty & drunken arguments during our dating life and nothing she could have done, save kick my in the nuts, would ever warrant me hitting her. I know a good amount of very attractive women who when they are enjoying the drink don't act like ladies and where I'm from that is no reason to break their jaw.

Is it a money grab, absolutely. Did Mixon pull a scumbag move, absolutely. Maybe these punk athletes will think twice about going full testosterone when money is on the cause at OU the scholarship doesn't appear to be in jeopardy if you are a top recruit.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I see a lot of my wife from years ago in Molitor. My wife is also a 5'4" 115lb spitfire who is very protective of friends and loved ones. On a couple of occasions in college, she got in a bully's face who was trying to start a fight with a smaller person. She didn't slap anyone, but she did push them and stood her ground between said bully and intended victim. Was she crazy and trying to start a fight thinking she could whip a much larger male? NO! She was defusing the situation *knowing* the guy would never hit her or even muscle his way around her. If he did, he would look like a total doosh. In both cases it worked, and the guy left.

Now, I don't know if that was the context of this situation but that's the way I read it given the information we know. Molitor was definitely with a male friend who it seemed Mixon was trying to goad. We don't know what happened pre-Picklemans, but every account says that there was verbal conflict going on prior to what was captured on video. Missing that information, it seems silly to get all worked up over how to define justice here. If a civil court awards her some money, that's the way the system works and I have no problem with it. If they find for Mixon and force Molitor to pay court costs, that's the risk she decided to take.

vCash

I'm a woman also, but I hang out with all of you so... yeah.

She was defusing the situation *knowing* the guy would never hit her or even muscle his way around her
    I've been around guys long enough to know that there's a lot of risk playing that card, especially in places where you're likely dealing with people of less-than-sound mind. Also, it seems to be just like the morons that walk around Norman wearing UT gear on gameday, just because they think they can get away with it. Whooops just spilled my beer all over you and your burnt orange. It was an accident. My bad. Let me give you a single napkin.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Even though Mixon's legal residence is in Northern California, the suit smacks of Venue shopping. Where could you get a better civil verdict, California or Oklahoma? Take away the facts of the case, a civil jury in California will most like award greater damages than one in Oklahoma.
    Try it in Oklahoma! The plaintiff will still win but the verdict will be for actual damages, plus reasonable attorney's fees, not a multi million dollar award. What should the Plaintiff be compensated? I think $1 million is fair, after the attorneys get their 1/3 cut plus expenses, she will net about $500M TAX FREE. That's more than she will make in five years. Yes, what Mixon did was terrible, but damages should be reasonable and fair, with run away juries justice loses.
    Mixon's future earnings should not be considered, he may break a leg this season and get nothing in the NFL or he may sign a large contract, assuming she wins, what should be the fair compensation in this case? (remind yourself that the attorneys will get 1/3 of the verdict plus expenses).
    Last edited by oudivesherpa; 8/4/2016 at 02:33 PM.
    TEXAS IS GOD'S COUNTRY---IF YOU'RE AN ATHEIST

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oudivesherpa View Post
    Even though Mixon's legal residence is in Northern California, the suit smacks of Venue shopping. Where could you get a better civil verdict, California or Oklahoma? Take away the facts of the case, a civil jury in California will most like award greater damages than one in Oklahoma.
    Try it in Oklahoma! The plaintiff will still win but the verdict will be for actual damages, plus reasonable attorney's fees, not a multi million dollar award. What should the Plaintiff be compensated? I think $1 million is fair, after the attorneys get their 1/3 cut plus expenses, she will net about $500M TAX FREE. That's more than she will make in five years. Yes, what Mixon did was terrible, but damages should be reasonable and fair, with run away juries justice loses.
    Mixon's future earnings should not be considered, he may break a leg this season and get nothing in the NFL or he may sign a large contract, assuming she wins, what should be the fair compensation in this case? (remind yourself that the attorneys will get 1/3 of the verdict plus expenses).
    So? Is that illegal?

As much as the local judge has ignored two appellate courts regarding releasing the video, do you think she'd get a fair hearing in Norman? You're crazy.

California is even Mixon's home state. Maybe they'd have more sympathy for a home boy. Maybe not.

Either way, this could have been put to bed long ago is Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops wouldn't have kept acting as though it didn't happen. As stated last year, what those three idiots needed to do was have Mixon publicly apologize for his actions.

And, the whole lot of people trying to somehow twist the situation into where it would be okay for him to hit her...despicable. You wouldn't even be saying close to the same thing if this were a Texas or Oklahoma State player.

I bet I could comb through here and not find one defense of former Oklahoma State player Tyreek Hill. The difference is, he was booted off the team, and has been publicly contrite about what he did ever since it occurred.

Mixon hasn't been contrite; and the three idiots keep hiding him, not letting him speak.

Stupid.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I'm a woman also, but I hang out with all of you so... yeah.

I've been around guys long enough to know that there's a lot of risk playing that card, especially in places where you're likely dealing with people of less-than-sound mind. Also, it seems to be just like the morons that walk around Norman wearing UT gear on gameday, just because they think they can get away with it. Whooops just spilled my beer all over you and your burnt orange. It was an accident. My bad. Let me give you a single napkin.
    I'm old - this was in the '70s and people were probably more drilled that a guy never hits a women. I guess I shouldn't have said *knowing* and phrased it *highly confident* a guy would never hit her - there's always risks. But she was (and still is) a spitfire and would probably do the same thing. Fortunately, us old folks in our 50s and 60s don't hang around places where fights break out.

vCash

I think $1 million is fair, after the attorneys get their 1/3 cut plus expenses, she will net about $500M TAX FREE
    Heh heh heh. If the jury wants to award a ridiculous number that can never be paid, then why not just make if $500 million

do you think she'd get a fair hearing in Norman?
    Considering that an Oklahoma jury found Jerome Ersland guilty, I think you should give local juries more credit for being impartial and not completely reflective of the statewide political/fanbase perceptions.

she was (and still is) a spitfire and would probably do the same thing
    Oh yes, get me in the right situation and I'd be ready to take a punch for a friend/family member as well, but I'd just as soon pull the fire alarm to get everyone to leave the situation (and yes, face the $500 fine) than pick a fight with a football player.

This is a bad situation and once again, I hope that everyone has learned something from it and becomes a better person going forward.