Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nighttrain12's Avatar
    vCash

Post Joe Mixon's 'punch' victim gives interview with NewsOK.com

She sounds like a brave young woman! Good luck to her!

http://newsok.com/amelia-molitor-im-...rticle/5509883
    BOOMER ......... SOONER!
    AGGIES ......... SUCK!
    ... and the home, of the, SOONERS!
    THUNDER THE F&*K UP!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Joe Mixon's 'punch' victim gives interview with NewsOK.com

Husband was initially upset when I said that she did an interview, but when I said it was to say that she wanted the tape to remain private and that she wanted to let people know that she's moved on, she's graduating from OU and she's more than just "the victim," he said he could respect that.

I think we can all agree that mistakes were made that night that all parties would like to forget, if the media will let them

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Joe Mixon did a horrible thing but hey he's our guy so it should be left in the past. No different than Jameis Winston or Ray Rice but heck he'll score 15 TDs next year and we'll cheer. One of the few times Stoops has mismanaged a situation.
    Last edited by Mookie91; 7/21/2016 at 08:44 PM.

vCash

She sounds like a brave young woman! Good luck to her!
    This story has taken a turn for the *groan*

Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon faces civil suit for July 2014 incident near Campus Corner
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...047533cda.html

Pickleman's in Norman faces lawsuit in wake of Joe Mixon controversy
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...777d0e62f.html

What initially seemed to a be a "let's all move on; i am not a victim, i am a strong, college graduating woman, please don't release the tape" story has instead turned into let's NOT move on, i AM a victim, RELEASE the tape.

We all knew this day was coming, didn't we? The tape is going to inevitably be released, whether by the courts or by TMZ. When that happens, will OU be forced to part ways with Joe Mixon?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

guess I don't put her in the "brave" category, either way. Yeah, she stayed at OU which is commendable, but I don't think it's "brave". Now she wants a piece of the pie...Mixon pie.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Well, he did the deed and we all had to assume this would happen. I figured she would wait until after this season and became NFL eligible. This could make it more likely Mixon will declare for next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Well, he did the deed and we all had to assume this would happen. I figured she would wait until after this season and became NFL eligible. This could make it more likely Mixon will declare for next year.
    Or Less, Let her fight her suit and if she wins file bankruptcy
    Both were at fault , But her more so since she was quite a bit older.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Or Less, Let her fight her suit and if she wins file bankruptcy
    Both were at fault , But her more so since she was quite a bit older.
    Depends on his priorities. If he thinks he has an NFL career in his future, he'll settle out of court and put this in the rear view mirror ASAP. Or he could make a stand and risk becoming NFL poison ala Ray Rice (and could still lose in court). But that's just the pragmatist in me.

vCash

Twitter rumor after the suit became public that this was after an ultimatum to OU that if they wouldn't meet with her over this incident that she would file the suit. I have not read anything to substantiate this, but I can understand why OU wouldn't want to continue dealing with this off-campus situation just because a football player was involved. Is there a statute of limitations that was about to be passed? Was an ambulance chaser convinced that OU would rather settle out of court than have Mixon's name dragged through the mud again? Haven't we heard how poor college athletes are often enough to know that there is no "Mixon pie" unless he makes the NFL? Even if he does, isn't the ongoing narrative that running backs aren't valued anymore and their pro careers are shorter than any other position.

Meh, I wish this situation never happened and I hope it's causing athletes to think twice before finding themselves in similar hot water.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I can't believe the rationalization for hitting a woman and using a homophobic slur.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Twitter rumor after the suit became public that this was after an ultimatum to OU that if they wouldn't meet with her over this incident that she would file the suit. I have not read anything to substantiate this, but I can understand why OU wouldn't want to continue dealing with this off-campus situation just because a football player was involved. Is there a statute of limitations that was about to be passed? Was an ambulance chaser convinced that OU would rather settle out of court than have Mixon's name dragged through the mud again? Haven't we heard how poor college athletes are often enough to know that there is no "Mixon pie" unless he makes the NFL? Even if he does, isn't the ongoing narrative that running backs aren't valued anymore and their pro careers are shorter than any other position.

Meh, I wish this situation never happened and I hope it's causing athletes to think twice before finding themselves in similar hot water.
    I agree, just saying she's using "potential earnings" and honestly if I was on a "jury" I'd award her on what he has at the time of the assault. Shouldn't be able to sue on "future earning potential"...that's total bs. If I or any non athlete did that, that is what the settlement would be...period.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    I can't believe the rationalization for hitting a woman and using a homophobic slur.
    not rationalizing it at all. He was wrong period. So was she. I believe any person has a right to defend THEMSELVES. Yes, he didn't "defend" himself. He should have walked away and filed a police report himself. He called the dude a fag, I thought she called him the ******? no? If not then they both screwed up....(before he hit her) then walk away.

But for her to sue him in civil court a year later, and betting on the courts will look on his "potential earnings" is total bs.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I was raised to never hit a girl/woman and in 40 years on the planet I have yet to encounter a girl/woman that I had to hit to defend myself. Mixon is completely wrong should have been kicked out school.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Depends on his priorities. If he thinks he has an NFL career in his future, he'll settle out of court and put this in the rear view mirror ASAP. Or he could make a stand and risk becoming NFL poison ala Ray Rice (and could still lose in court). But that's just the pragmatist in me.
    I see yer point bro, But theres a big difference in a Kid on his 18th B-day being provoked and a Grown *** man knockin his wife out and dragging her out of an elevator, Just the me in me LOL
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I see yer point bro, But theres a big difference in a Kid on his 18th B-day being provoked and a Grown *** man knockin his wife out and dragging her out of an elevator, Just the me in me LOL
    I agree with you, but it doesn't matter what we may think of what's right or wrong here - it's what a justice system and a potential jury would think. And this isn't a cut and dried case, IMO, so i wouldn't want to risk my future on the outcome if I could control it.

vCash

I really have no idea what way a lawsuit would go here. It seems like both parties have suffered a lot of damage.

Is Mixon gonna be off-limits to the media again, or just a very short leash with a PR person standing close by like a broken record "football questions only football questions only football questions only"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash
    They should've both been kicked out of school
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    I was raised to never hit a girl/woman and in 40 years on the planet I have yet to encounter a girl/woman that I had to hit to defend myself. Mixon is completely wrong should have been kicked out school.
    This. Thank you.

This is one of the thing that is clearly evident when you see the video - the sheer size difference between the two. When I first saw it, that aspect was shocking enough. Then, you add in the ferocity of the actual punch and how fast she drops...

...it's a stupid situation all the way around. Then Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops parading down the to the DA's office office together, then DA eventually offering an Alford Plea...to the world outside of Norman, it will look like an inside job of favoritism for a football player whose violent reaction to a small woman was as vicious as Ray Rice's towards his then-fiance.

The video is awful.

Mixon in no way was threatened by that girl. There wasn't a snow ball's chance in hell of her harming him. Once you see the video, it isn't hard to conclude that Mixon was way out of line...and, that he claims to have been sober makes it worse.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 8/1/2016 at 11:45 AM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

TDTW, you mentioned the DGB and Mixon situations together on another thread, but since it seems to apply more here, I am kind of curious what the motivation behind allowing Mixon to stay after a year off was for Stoops and Co.

With DGB, we had a huge dearth of depth at WR, so that makes sense from a football standpoint. However, it seemed out of Stoops and Co's character, as there seemed to be no punishment involved other than not getting to stay at Mizzou. If Stoops and Co had their way, DGB would have gotten a hardship waiver and be eligible immediate at OU and then at the NFL in a season. Instead, he was basically a scout teamer at OU for a year before going to the NFL, and when DGB's name is mentioned, his college is listed as Mizzou, not OU.

With Mixon, where is the football-related motivation? Mixon is very talented on the field and combined with Perine, OU has one of the best backfields in the country. However, we also had Alex Ross and Keith Ford in our backfield before it became obvious that 90 percent of the snaps would be to Perine/Mixon... then those guys transfer.

On top of that, Mixon had to sit out a year, whereas Stoops and Co advocated for DGB to not sit out a year.

My guess: Stoops had a change of heart when he revamped his coaching staff, following the embarrassment that was 2014. The iffy player punishments and character questionable guys being recruited are gone, along with the assistant coaches that weren't up to par. Mixon was likely grandfathered in since he did everything asked of him, but likely would have been gone if it happened after the major coaching staff overhaul, and DGB likely wouldn't have been recruited post-2014.

Thoughts?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    TDTW, you mentioned the DGB and Mixon situations together on another thread, but since it seems to apply more here, I am kind of curious what the motivation behind allowing Mixon to stay after a year off was for Stoops and Co.

With DGB, we had a huge dearth of depth at WR, so that makes sense from a football standpoint. However, it seemed out of Stoops and Co's character, as there seemed to be no punishment involved other than not getting to stay at Mizzou. If Stoops and Co had their way, DGB would have gotten a hardship waiver and be eligible immediate at OU and then at the NFL in a season. Instead, he was basically a scout teamer at OU for a year before going to the NFL, and when DGB's name is mentioned, his college is listed as Mizzou, not OU.

With Mixon, where is the football-related motivation? Mixon is very talented on the field and combined with Perine, OU has one of the best backfields in the country. However, we also had Alex Ross and Keith Ford in our backfield before it became obvious that 90 percent of the snaps would be to Perine/Mixon... then those guys transfer.

On top of that, Mixon had to sit out a year, whereas Stoops and Co advocated for DGB to not sit out a year.

My guess: Stoops had a change of heart when he revamped his coaching staff, following the embarrassment that was 2014. The iffy player punishments and character questionable guys being recruited are gone, along with the assistant coaches that weren't up to par. Mixon was likely grandfathered in since he did everything asked of him, but likely would have been gone if it happened after the major coaching staff overhaul, and DGB likely wouldn't have been recruited post-2014.

Thoughts?
    I agree about being surprised when DBG was given the transfer, then we fought to get him eligible for the season. To me, that was out of character for Stoops.

However, when the Mixon thing happened and I saw the video, THEN they just gave the kid six months - this "year/season" people always talk about - I began to wonder whether or not Stoops was more interested in winning than anything else.

In my mind, high quality football players have always come to OU, regardless of the coach. Even during the Gibbs-Shcnellenberger-Blake Wandering In The Desert Era, we got players good enough to have NFL careers.

So, it's not as though the team was going to be made or broken with Mixon booted off the squad.

Plus, I just thought it sent a bad message to the players who had already been on campus were already contributing and playing by the rules.

I also have a wife and daughter, and it impacted me there as well. Would I want my daughter out drinking late at night like Molitor? No. But, do I think I verbal conflict between someone calling your friend an offensive name and you standing up for them should result in an athlete breaking your face? No.

Finally, just as a fan, I knew it would never die once Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops let it live on. They have made the bed they lie in with Mixon. And, to me, it was not necessary.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987