Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Perine: Top draft prospect

Top NFL Draft Prospects: Oklahoma's Perine bullish among loaded RB class.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...1&noRedirect=1

With a heavily muscled frame including anvils for limbs, Perine certainly looks the part of an NFL workhorse, and it is his power and pad level which consistently stick out on tape. Perine attacks the hole when it is there but shows patience to allow his blocking to develop, as well as the vision and anticipation to set up cut-back lanes when he feels the defense overpursuing. He runs angry, dropping his shoulders into oncoming defenders and keeping his legs churning through contact, rarely going down to the first hit.
    While incredibly productive in Oklahoma's scheme, there are concerns about Perine's ability to match this success in the NFL. While built like a cinder block, frankly, Perine also moves like one at times. He does not possess ideal speed to beat NFL defenders to the edge and lacks a second gear to qualify as a traditional breakaway threat, which could earn him comparisons to former Alabama standout turned NFL bust Trent Richardson.
    At first glance, it would seem obvious that Perine would make the early jump to the NFL if he enjoys another spectacular season for the Sooners. With "other" underclassmen stars at the position like LSU's Leonard Fournette, Florida State's Dalvin Cook and Stanford's Christian McCaffrey among the competition also likely heading early to the NFL, however, Perine may have to prove just as impressive in predraft workouts to earn the high pick his production would seem to warrant.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Perine: Top draft prospect

Perine is a man among boys in college, for sure. The problem isn't with him, it's that the NFL is now more pass than run.

Although, I still think you need a healthy run threat to make the passing game work up there because you can't "outathlete" teams week and week in The League with your receivers.

Also, because The League is now more pass oriented, you get less offensive linemen who are great at grinding out blocks on running plays down after down. Although, the Cowboy line two years ago did a great job for DeMarco Murray. He found out really quickly that Philly's pass heavy scheme, and it's linemen, weren't as good at opening holes for him to run though.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

the NFL is now more pass than run
    All you have to do is find a team desperate enough and suddenly Ezekiel Elliott is getting drafted No. 4 overall. Tee hee Dallas, they so miss DeMarco and miss Adrian wouldn't cost so much to acquire.

In short, Samaje Perine to Dallas Cowboys first overall after Ezekiel flops the franchise to 0-16, because you can't send a Buckeye running back to do a Sooner running back's job.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Perine's size and strength project well to the NFL grind. I don't see him having the speed and breakaway capability to go in the 1st round especially give the value teams place at the RB position. If he can last like a Frank Gore or Jerome Bettis, some team will have hit the jackpot.

Does anyone know an actual 40 time for Perine? I know there were several plays last year where he outran some DB's to the end zone and it actually surprised me watching on TV that he was faster than I thought he was.

vCash

I saw a reference to a 4.53 for Perine coming out of HS. As far as out running DB's, I can recall a few flat out giving up - probably because they knew they couldn't bring him down in time to prevent a score even if they caught him. Most NFL DBs are really fast *and* can tackle. I have no doubt that Perine will make a great pro if he is healthy; just don't see him breaking many 40+ yarders like he does for OU.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I can think of a lot of NFL corners who would crumble against samaje...Janoris Jenkins comes to mind...and Neon Deion back in the day.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Who cares how fast when he can do this:

or this

if Perine is trucking at a defender, the other guy's 40 time is going to be sub-4 in the opposite direction

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    I can think of a lot of NFL corners who would crumble against samaje...Janoris Jenkins comes to mind...and Neon Deion back in the day.
    I said most NFL DBs and I'll stick by that statement (I'm including safeties). Sure, there are some shutdown corners that are so skilled their teams don't care if they don't tackle, but not many. I'm a big Perine fan, but i can see he doesn't have the speed of Cook(FSU) or McCaffrey(Stanford). He could well end up the more successful NFL player though. I see him going 2nd round if healthy backed by a solid combine - which is kind of like 1st round for RBs these days. Next year's RB draft is just loaded, assuming they all declare.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Perine's size and strength project well to the NFL grind. I don't see him having the speed and breakaway capability to go in the 1st round especially give the value teams place at the RB position. If he can last like a Frank Gore or Jerome Bettis, some team will have hit the jackpot.
    IMO Jerome Bettis was the most moosehoss RB the league has ever known.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

I went back and watched some highlight reels f/last year and there were several runs that happened later in games, one in particular against Aggie State where Perine went for 50+ yards on one good ankle and he flat outran some of their DB's and they weren't giving up... he just beat them to the endzone on one good leg. I think sometimes he's faster than people think given how BIG and strong he is. Either way I don't see many RB's who can run for long break-aways these days like we used to see w/guys like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and even AD. If he says healthy he could have a very nice long NFL career. Although now I'm more concerned w/him having a Heisman like year in 2016-2017... along w/ Baker and Mixon.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PujolsFan View Post
    Although now I'm more concerned w/him having a Heisman like year in 2016-2017... along w/ Baker and Mixon.
    First world problems.

vCash

First world problems.
    Oh noes we have multiple Heisman candidates that will divide the regional vote because they equally deserve credit for our undefeated championship season

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Just hope he stays healthy