Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Baylor and Art Briles

AUSTIN, Texas — Fired Baylor coach Art Briles is ripping his former employer, accusing the school of wrongful termination and indicating he has no interest in settling a federal lawsuit filed against him and the university by a woman who was raped by a football player.

The criticism in a motion filed Thursday as part of the lawsuit. Briles says he wants a judge to assign him new attorneys and his personal legal team is demanding that Baylor turn over all its files in the sexual assault scandal that has gripped the Baptist university for months.

The letter says Briles "does not wish to settle the case," contrary to what Baylor lawyers told the judge last week.

Briles' petition says he met April 7 with Baylor attorneys and that they used information he shared to support his firing.
    At least when they were embarrassing on the football field instead of off the field, they got to collect bowl payout checks without attending bowls.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Baylor and Art Briles

Baylor is screwed for years to come. The current squad may have a good season this year just due to the returning players and momentum, but the decline sets in after that. Dang, we better beat them this year and not let them have one last gasp.

vCash

What a slow moving train wreck

vCash

Today is the first day in a long time that Soonerfans website has worked for me. The message during that time was that the site is offline. Serious comments, please.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

It's been working for me, but with long delays. A particular forum page such as "football" comes up normally, but selecting a particular thread has a long delay before the thread appears. I encounter the same delay when I submit a post. It's feels like there is some operation in the workflow that fails and must timeout before processing continues.

vCash

I'm still kind of blown away by the death of Sicem at such a young age. God only knows what he would have said after this meltdown occurred at Baylor. At least it's good for him that he didn't have to see the sh*t happen.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Yeah; SicEm got to live long enough to see OU lose to Baylor, which a decade ago seemed unfathomable, even when they pushed us to OT at home in 2005.

His other alma mater Ole Miss is likely also facing the NCAA axe after their draft night fiasco.

May he rest in peace; I still wish Baylor would get evicted from the Big 12

vCash

I'm ready to uncouple LosuR and for us to bolt the Big 12.(but, not for the BIG)

vCash

"I'm ready to uncouple LosuR"

I've thought that politically OU wouldn't be able to do it, but the way the state legislature is messing around with higher ed appropriations to the point that David Boren has to propose a sales tax to fund education (at all levels, not just higher ed) that option may be in play in the future.

I have no doubt that the we-leave-the-big-12 card was played during the Baker Mayfield discussion with the conference's other leaders.

vCash

PS: i am NOT trying to turn this discussion political, by the way it is worth noting, however, that Boren has been very vocal on higher ed funding and big 12 sports both, lately.

So, in the most non-political manner, it is a point of information

vCash

Politics shouldn't scare you or anyone. After all, politics is VERY important to all people, and will be as long as humanity survives. OU should be willing to shed orange aggy, regardless of who is in charge of such determination. We will be unable to leave the rut we're in if we don't separate from them.

vCash

"Politics shouldn't scare you or anyone"

It doesn't scare me; I'd just prefer to keep the football board on football talk

If this was a pure football standpoint, Mike Gundy has done more with less for pretty much his entire career --- his recruiting classes usually not top 25, but his team's final rankings are usually top 25.

While early on it seemed that he might have had what you could call the Baylor mindset --- bring in off-field issue top recruits that bigger programs stay away from due to red flags --- Gundy actually kicks the bad guys out if they don't stay out of trouble (namely Tyreek Hill).

BUT... their basketball sucks lately. I know they just hired SFA's guy, but if we're going from a strictly revenue-sport perspective here (which is what Power 5's care about), OSU needs better MBB if it wants to keep up with OU in the conference reallignment game.

They also need better attendance at everything

vCash

I was just saying about Baylor to let the chips fall where they may, and they have screwed up the Big 12 even more than it already was, so I prefer for OU to leave it, ASAP. OSU is a hindrance to our moving, and it's not at all good that we are linked to them for conference identity. Our being tied to them is more football than politics, IMO, at least as far as this thread goes.

vCash

Allegedly reportedly the Big 12 is going to say something about Baylor today.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...70239c8ae.html

Quote Originally Posted by David Boren after Tuesday's regent tuition/coaches pay hike
    “Hopefully they’ll get things straightened out down there...The conference is going to make some statements about it, take some actions.

“How do you express approval or disapproval until you get the facts? Other than the media reports. You can’t evaluate all the facts just from media facts. Let’s put it this way. Give us the full facts to make sure we’re getting accurate information. I suspect the media information has been pretty accurate, but we’ll find out for sure.”
    Cliff's Notes: We know you're hiding stuff because you're a private school, but we're not gonna let you drag down the rest of the conference

vCash

Let's hold their Big 12 membership over their heads. Everyone knows they're a pay-out-more-than-you-pay-in program in the conference anyways.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...8b84d4216.html

The Big 12 Conference broke its silence on what has happened at Baylor Wednesday when it released a statement. Here’s the opener:

“The Big 12 Board of Directors is gravely and deeply concerned by media reports about activities involving the athletics program at Baylor University. On May 24, 2016, the Big 12 Board requested a full accounting of the circumstances surrounding the sexual assaults at the University. At this time the Board is only privy to information that has been made available to the public.”
    It's time to hold their feet to the fire (and brimstone). Either cooperate or go Conference USA.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I have no idea what will happen to Baylor. I'm not even sure what is within the purview of the Big 12 or the NCAA but it's hard to think of a program that at an institutional level is as wantonly sleazy as Baylor has been under Briles. Ole Miss will probably be shown to be your ordinary run of the mill cheaters and will get whacked. Years ago SMU was caught brazenly cheating and given the 'Death Penalty' but even SMU didn't have the same slime factor that Baylor has. Penn State is closest.

About a year ago Briles as much as called Chris Peterson a liar over the Sam Ukwuachu incident. Didn't believe him then and now it's apparent the kind of person Baylor hired in Briles. Just win football games. There isn't a big enough rug for Baylor to sweep this travesty under. Make no mistake this is an institutional level issue.

I would love to see Baylor banished to the wasteland of the AAC or Mountain West. I'm not optimistic but at this point I would be willing to replace them with just about any available candidate.

vCash

Since Baylor is shifting blame, let's also blame...

1- Texas Tech for allowing former head coach Mike Leach to give Art Briles his start in college football. I read his autobiography and it was help get in-roads in area recruiting.
    2- Houston for giving Art Briles his first college head coaching stint
    3- Baylor for fueling the monster further.

Please OU, beat everybody, but especially beat Tech, Houston and Baylor, because they are the ones to blame for Art Briles

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    ...Please OU, beat everybody, but especially beat Tech, Houston and Baylor, because they are the ones to blame for Art Briles
    and tx and LosuR, 'cause they are bad seed, and simply NEED to lose.

Wonder what the NCAA will do to Baylor? Don't think it'll be the Death Penalty, but it may be similar to Penn State.

Briles must be a good coach to bring Baylor from the cellar to the summit in CFB, but I'm getting the drift that Briles has never been an all around stellar coaching citizen. Not sure of his background, but some people down here in Texas are voicing they're not totally surprised at this thing. Anybody got insights into his history, modus operandi? I've heard stuff about recruiting, etc, but nothing fact based far as I know. Does anybody know how he's regarded in B12 coaching circles? Is this thing just a misjudgement on his part or a pattern of deceptive behavior that belies the "win at all costs" attitude that reaches back in his coaching history? Baylor's image has taken a huge hit on this deal.

vCash

My forecast: Baylor slow-plays this as a private institution similar to USC with the Reggie Bush/OJ Mayo/etc situations and NCAA ultimately punishes them stronger for the delays. Penn State, as a public university, could not delay anything as they were probably subject to more open records requests than humanly possible.